Assume v. Presume

The military are probably already working on ways to weaponise that. (Perhaps the BBC overseas services will be asked to use deliberately bad grammar.)

"it does cause indeed" set me off - should be "it does indeed cause".
And starting sentences with "And", twice.

I agree, but that's the way it is. Never ever have I seen "DV"!
Many years ago when writing reports for branches of MoD I tried to avoid DC Voltage. Seem to remember I used the term "voltage at zero frequency". Not very satisfactory. I never used DV.

I realise this is all obvious to the thinking people we have here, but just setting it out:

And why not?
It's one of those things that the proscriptive grammar books claimed is not allowed, the same as split infinitives. Previous generations were educated by rote, the rote being what just one person decided was good or bad and put into a text book – independent thinking (or poetic expression) not permitted.

Just because a word comes after a full stop and has an initial capital, does than make it the start of a sentence? (Give me some rope here.) "And" and "but" are clearly connecting words, attaching the succeeding clause as a modifier to the preceding* clause, so the clauses really ought to be in the same sentence.

In written English, punctuation can be used to identify the logical structure of the clauses specifically (I avoided a split infinitive there!**), so I submit any "sentence" starting with "and" should actually be a sub-clause of the previous sentence separated by a lesser break than full stop, but the consequence may be very long sentences and paragraphs (as used to be common) when it may be easier to get the point across by breaking it up and even splitting a clause across paragraphs.

If the text is actually a script, then no holds are barred. The punctuation needs to indicate lengths of pause, for effect or to aid the listeners' digestion.

It was not uncommon (a generation or two ago) for written sentences to be overloaded with commas (IMO) where they could be just implied:

<clause 1>, and, <connected clause 2>

That is clearly indicating a dramatic pause rather than logical structure.

* I just spotted another interesting point: why does "succeed" have a double 'e' but "precede" an 'e' on the end?!!! :confused:

** By avoiding the split infinitive [edit: incorrectly!], I've thrown the adverb (a verb modifier) to the end of the sentence so the reader ends up having to parse the whole sentence in one go rather than step by step. I don't care what the old-fashioned grammar books say, it aids understanding to have the adverb near the verb! There is a story where an interpreter went silent during a long rant (in German, I think) being unable to produce the English translation because he had to wait for the verb at the end (when English puts it near the beginning).

Last edited:
I've thrown the adverb (a verb modifier) to the end of the sentence so the reader ends up having to parse the whole sentence in one go rather than step by step.
You could just have written "...can be used to identify specifically the logical structure...". You get an automatic emphasis too.
why does "succeed" have a double 'e' but "precede" an 'e' on the end?!!! :confused:
Ask your budgie.
an interpreter went silent during a long rant (in German, I think) being unable to produce the English translation because he had to wait for the verb at the end (when English puts it near the beginning).
A bit like decoding I, P and B frames.

You could just have written "...can be used to identify specifically the logical structure...". You get an automatic emphasis too.
That's still a split infinitive.

^ My immediate reaction was incorrect.

Yes, I've got a deep rooted inclination to put the adverb at the end, but of course it should go immediately after rather than within the infinitive (hence "split"). Some of what I wrote above is garbage.

it may be easier to get the point across by breaking it up and even splitting a clause across paragraphs.
This is why I quite often start a sentence with And or But (or Or sometimes), especially in forum posts, in order to emphasize the point.

"...to identify specifically the specific logical structure of the specific clauses." Delete the 'specific'(s) you don't want.

(With tongue firmly planted in cheek)
What about the abbreviation of Saint? Isn't that missing some punctuation? Shouldn't it be "S't", and definitely not "St." ? "St" is an adequate compromise.

Why not "St." ? I thought that was exactly the abbreviation for Saint or Street. "St" isn't an abbreviation to my mind.

Back