Assume v. Presume

I can't see any explanation on that website, and so far as I can see a corn crib is a store rather than a cob. I went down that road myself.

It seems completely off the wall. There are far better words which would have fitted the grid.
Yes it needs corn to link them, I looked at another crossword site and that never offered Crib as an answer so it may be an error that was just repeated by a lazy crossword compiler using that site.
Edit If you reverse it on that site Crib 3 gives you .....................................

COBMale swan; mountain pony (3)
:)

Last edited:
Both cob and crib are archaic names for a kind of wharf apparently

This is all waaay too esoteric for the Quick Crossword. I've come up with a more reasonable alternative: there was a misprint/typo and the clue should have read "Cot (4)".

I've been writing emails recently to other people referring to my wife and [I/me] in various contexts and it really isn't that easy for mere mortals.
Would you care to be specific?

It's a transitive/intransitive subject/object thing, ie whether you did something or something was done to you:

I went to the beach –> My wife and I went to the beach
Please help me –> Please help me and my wife

In other words, if it would be correct to use "me" in the singular case, then (and only then) it remains correct use "me".

I think the reason the choice has become difficult is that we are too used to hearing the wrong construction. I assume people get confused by the second example because they feel they should be putting the other party (wife) first in the sentence, and if "wife" comes first then it must be "I" not "me". The result will be that these rules will cease to exist so that it becomes "wife and I" regardless of the grammar.

Perhaps there is an argument for "Please help my wife and me".

Last edited:
I know there are rules but I can never remember them, so would have to go rooting around to find them and then work out what was needed for each instance.
In this case my head was already juggling with the minutiae of wills and trusts, so I really couldn't be bothered.

By the time I'm faced with the choice again I'll have forgotten the rules, so it'll be a case of being bothered or not.
Perhaps you have some kind of blind spot. This must be the simplest rule in the book, if it can be called a rule at all

All you have to do is write (I presume on a word processor or something) the sentence with just me / I in it, then add your wife into the sentence afterwards.

You wouldn't say "me is going to the beach", so you don't say "me and my wife are going to the beach".

You wouldn't say "please do this for I", so you don't say "please do this for my wife and I".

If that doesn't work for you, then it's something you need your own "aha!" moment for.

You wouldn't say "me is going to the beach", so you don't say "me and my wife are going to the beach".
The thing is "me and my/the wife" doesn't look or sound wrong to me. "The wife and me" does sound wrong.
I suspect many of us would convert this to 'we are going to the beach' ... :whistling:
Definitely! Anything to avoid getting it wrong. When in doubt I always look for a way to rephrase.

As I am not a big fan of the seaside I am more likely to say "The wife is going to the beach but I am going to the pub." :D

As I am not a big fan of the seaside I am more likely to say "The wife is going to the beach but I am going to the pub." :D
Wow. Tomorrow that is exactly what we are doing. No kidding. She's off to Mudeford with relatives for the day and I plan to have a pint in a local pub in the afternoon.

Public –> Publicly

Specific –> Specifically

??

The rule-of-thumb I use is if the "ly" is being added to something which ends "-al", then you get "-ally" (eg "legally"), but that does not apply to "specific" because there is no "specifical". This seems highly irregular (you don't say!), much along the lines of "I before E except after C, unless sounding like A as in neighbour and weigh (and list of exceptions even to those)".

Back