Assume v. Presume

it seems population of the EPG is effected by a busy processor!
Tsk!

Effected v. Affected

Either would be grammatical in the above example, but effected means similar to achieved, which is (I believe) the opposite of the intention!

Black Hole said:
I do not set out to deliberately offend, but neither do I surrender to so-called "Political Correctness". If you don't like it, that's your problem not mine.
Common usage, but is it a split infinitive?

Ask yourself which carries the desired emphasis: "deliberately offend" or "offend deliberately" - I think the emphasis is carried by the first word, so I chose the former deliberately.

The question is: what's wrong with a split infinitive? "Split infinitive" is the name of a construction in grammar; it's only because somebody decided to declare it as bad grammar that some people think it is.

I do not deliberately set out to offend, conveys your meaning.
it's only because somebody decided to declare it as bad grammar that some people think it is.
Can I use that argument when you point out my bad grammar?
Now I shall boldly go and look at something else.

Split infinitives don't really bother me. I thought the hyper-pedant (BH) should be more careful; pot-kettle-black comes to mind. (insert missing smiley :tongincheek:)

Where lies the boundary between (normal) pedantry and hyper-pedantry? Following the rules is following the rules - you either do or don't, there seems to be little latitude for grey areas... but this is a case of fashion rather than rules.

Regardless, I never suggested I'm not contrary - as I believe has been mentioned in this thread before!

Back