Assume v. Presume

I understand your concerns MET, but due to ongoing very unacceptable disappointment with your posts, I speculate that I should meet with yourself to ascertain whether or not I will be pleased to learn that they are no longer fit for purpose and, hopefully, whether or not I should invest a lot more time discussing this point. :frantic:
,and not to mention that the Oxford comma comes before the and, not after it.
I have no idea what this is about.

I was trying to work out whether to use penny or pence. I picked one. It looks as though it was the wrong one.
1 penny​
>1 pence​
You used "5 pence" which is correct.

In any case, my post was just coincidental, not a comment on anything in yours, which I hadn't read at that point.

FFS: how do you stop this stupid forum software from interpreting a '>' sign at the start of a line as a quote instruction?

Last edited:
I've seen that part on TV. I can't remember the exact sounds for each punctuation mark. Very difficult to explain in text isn't it?
Just to correct myself it was 'Phonetic punctuation'. Very clever and funny, he had everyone in stitches.

I'm a bit vague with using abbreviation stops myself. Since the modern trend is not to use them I tend to add them only if the current context means they look more correct (to me) or just to emphasise that something is an abbreviation or acronym.
Difficult. I always think of HMV not H. M. V. In my previous work I always referred to RAE, RARDE, AWRE (or AWE). Those people often referred to each other in the same manner (eg. RSRE). Someone else working on similar stuff wrote A. W. R. E. :dunno:

Absolutely correct prpr. I think I got most of them in one sentence.
Penny is singular
Pence is plural.
But one penny is not > than 1 pence (or did you miss a coma? One pence is an oxymoron and it really grates with me when people say it and it's only marginally less grating than misplaced apostrophe.

Last edited:
Absolutely correct prpr. I think I got most of them in one sentence.
I think that might refer to me, not prpr.
No need for plain around > in previous. It only seems to be a problem at the start of the line. Anyway, you forgot the ] after the open plain so it was ignored. :roflmao:

Is 'Ms' an abbreviation?
If not, what could it be instead? Reductio ad absurdum.

How about as an abbreviation for "Miss or Missus"?

A quick google indicates Mrs (as a contraction of "Mistress") originally applied to women in general (not just married ones), making Ms unnecessary. Miss ought to be reserved for females not of age, equivalent to Master as opposed to Mister.

I don't know Latin, and made the mistake of putting that phrase into Google Translate - answer Reductio ad absurdum. Very helpful. Should have just put it into a search engine.
I doubt it translates. The phrase is used in maths to indicate proof by eliminating all other possibilities (the Sherlock Holmes Principal).

Back