Assume v. Presume

No partying here. Tier 3 lockdown in 13 hours 2 minutes time.
As you were. Some of the deadwood have postponed tier 3 for the city and 3 boroughs so that the whole of Notts can go into lockdown on Friday at 00:01.
Party time! Just don't let those that organise the tier structure anywhere near it. You know what they can't organise!

There's an episode of Tenable on this afternoon where one of the questions was "The first 10 5-letter words (alphabetically) ending -ASH"... but the list of answers started with AWASH not ABASH.

Their list was:

AWASH
BRASH
CLASH
CRASH
FLASH
GNASH
LEASH
QUASH
SLASH
SMASH

Tsk.

Last edited:
In any case, it's not about the exact practises of the time - what matters is the number of people doing them (ie population explosion).
BH making a mistake? Surely not!
Practise is the verb, practice is the noun.
I agree. That doesn't mean I've made a mistake.
The Humpty Dumpty defence?

This raises an interesting point, and no doubt one we've already discussed (but I don't remember the answer): can a verb be pluralised? I deliberately chose "practises", because I meant multiple actions.

So, the "practise of discarding waste plastic" isn't a noun, and the "practise of leaving the lights on" isn't a noun, but the "practises of discarding waste plastic and leaving the lights on" should be? It's a lot easier in American.

So, the "practise of discarding waste plastic" isn't a noun, and the "practise of leaving the lights on" isn't a noun, but the "practises of discarding waste plastic and leaving the lights on" should be? It's a lot easier in American.
All the examples are nouns and should be spelt with a 'c'.

Hmm. OK, I think the problem is I was never educated in English syntax (being the product of the liberal sixties) - I find adverbs, pronouns, etc confusing (and it's not easy to look up - I tried).

Hmm. OK, I think the problem is I was never educated in English syntax (being the product of the liberal sixties) - I find adverbs, pronouns, etc confusing (and it's not easy to look up - I tried).
I'd endorse that. But I find it even more confusing. I was a product of that experiment the "initial teaching alphabet". So that's mucked up my spelling a bit, but not to Mike2's standard. :D

We had fun discussing this in another forum (CIX) and here's the most comprehensive response. [Edit: Reproduced here by permission.]

In the phrase "the <anything>", <anything> can only be noun or a gerund - "the <verb>" is not a known grammatical construct. So "practise" preceded by "the" must be a noun (and so should be "the practice").

In any case "<verb> of" is not a grammatical construct I recognise - "of" must be preceded by a noun. Thus in the phrase "practise of", "practise" must be a noun (and so should be "practice").

There are therefore two compelling reasons why in the phrase "the practise of" we are looking at a noun and not a verb (and so it should be "practice").

Having established that we are dealing with a noun and not a verb then there is no problem with using the plural - "practices" (but not "practises" as they have used, which is the only third person singular form of the verb "to practise".

(I assume throughout, of course, the convention that "practise" is a verb, and "practice" a noun; I suppose this might be considered pedantic these days - but even if one accepts that spellings are a little more fluid these days than in my youth, that does not and cannot change where the word is a noun and where it is a verb, and your interlocutor simply doesn't know his grammar. All IMHO, of course. )

Last edited:
When it comes to chopping up onions do you dice or dise?
I've never had an onion that could be cut into small cubes - it always ends up as arcs.
(Exception if you go down to the millimetre level, but it's more like slush then.)

Back