Assume v. Presume

So what is English?
I don't know, but the options in Chrome were "English (American)" or "English", and selecting the latter got rid of the squiggles.

In Opera I get English UK, English US and English as a third option.
What I suggest is compile a draft post containing all manner of disputed spellings and see which of those each language version rejects.

“We are surging extra testing!”

Matt Hancock

Last edited by a moderator:
"Pfizer for me", not "Pfizer for I". So "Pfizer for my wife and me".
No, the usual form would be "Pfizer for me and my wife".
Ignorance rules yet again? Except that it is English convention to put any third parties before yourself in a list.
My wife and I are going on holiday vs. I and my wife are going on holiday
The bells are ringing for me and my gal vs. The bells are ringing for my gal and me

Really?

What about that monstrosity

Myself and my wife are having a jab

It is becoming the norm.😦 I guess people were told Me and my wife was wrong, but My wife and I is too posh?

There's no "sounds more likely" about it. It's just plain wrong to put yourself first.
And I note that you quote 'the Queen's English as she are spoke' as well. And I would have thought that HM had every right to put herself first, but doesn't.

Haha! Who would want to sound like that? I should have thought you would have labelled her as a foreigner, Trev. Descendent of a psychotic inbred line of warlords from years ago, a real dinosaur from the past. Actually, I am beginning to like her.🤣🤣🤣

What about that monstrosity

Myself and my wife are having a jab
It's the modern (American) trend to make sentences more flowery than they need to be.

I guess people were told Me and my wife was wrong
No, they decided for themselves it must be wrong because of incomplete education (it must be wrong to put myself first in a sentence - no, it depends on grammatical context). In the case you cite, neither "myself" nor "me" is appropriate (should be "my wife and I").

By the way: I've just found out the reason a split infinitive is frowned upon is simply because it is impossible to express in Latin.

By the way: I've just found out the reason a split infinitive is frowned upon is simply because it is impossible to express in Latin.

If Latin were the model, we would all be sticking verbs at the ends of sentences. They also preferred

The problem having been solved by BH,, he moved on

over

Having solved the problem, BH moved on

Back