Assume v. Presume

I am saying EXTRAS with the dubious synonism oft found in quick crosswords.
That is indeed the solution published today, but it has to be the weirdest clue I have come across. A significant reason for taking the Mail during lockdown has been that my main regular contact (in the absence of J) takes the Mail and we can discuss what catches our eye and compete at the crossword... it's not unusual for my (literal) mind to fail to see the answer to a clue whereas she has years of experience - but this one defeated even her!

(Beating me at crosswords is good for her self-esteem - but has no hope with logic puzzles!)

I sometime take the Tuesday or Wednesday Express mainly for the four page pullout mix of crosswords and Sudokus to get me through the week during slack periods at work.

The Times2 crossword had an answer one week that was in the clue. I leave gomezz to describe what they did.

Is the easy Telegraph crossword still free? I used to do that with a colleague at lunchtime when I last worked.

Michelle Donelan, Universities Minister, repeatedly used the word waiver as a verb on the Radio 4 Today programme this morning, rather than the more common waive. I blame it on education.

To me, waiver (as a verb) would mean to waive something by raising a documentary statute (a waiver).
I am not sure it should ever be used as a verb, any more than like and liker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody know the word "twittan" (spelling uncertain)?

My mum used to use it to describe an alleyway between houses, and it might be an Essex (or even Sussex) thing. It doesn't get any sensible hits on Google.

My mum used to use it to describe an alleyway between houses, and it might be an Essex (or even Sussex) thing. It doesn't get any sensible hits on Google.
It is a commonly used term here in Kent, I am surprised it was not known by everyone else. We had a twitten close to my childhood home, it was quite a long lightly wooded pathway flanked by houses on both sides. I think the Urban dictionary has the most accurate description.
twitten
southern english dialect term for a confined pathway, often used for sexual activities and illegal substance consumption. Or as a hang out for chavs. It can also be used as a shortcut through parralel built council estates, if you've got the balls. (it's an alleyway pretty much)

Last edited:

Usage is similar to the term "twitchel" used around the Nottinghamshire area.

With back to back terraces, there was an alleyway between the backs. There is also a sort of tunnel every so many houses in a terace giving access to the back yards. Finally, there is the alleyway which links two roads by foot, often between high walls. Is the same term used for all of those?

I grew up in a terrace with the second kind, which we just called the entry.

I think the Urban dictionary has the most accurate description.
twitten
Interesting that the link claims Sussex dialect, as although both my parents were Essex I have a maternal grandparent with Goodwood Singleton connections (I forget which grandmother's father).

Last edited:
Interesting that the link claims Sussex dialect, as although both my parents were Essex I have a maternal grandparent with Goodwood connections (I forget which).
Mrs Scrat, originally from Blackpool, knew the ginnel term, but I had never heard it in the Black Country where I grew up.

Back