Assume v. Presume

He lives there, so one presumes (or is that assumes?) that he speaks the lingo. If not, he should be made to learn in order to integrate :).

should be made to learn in order to integrate
Why do I need to learn Welsh to be able to integrate? Integration is a guessing game anyway. As for the waste of money that is paying lip service to...

Welsh dictionaries are useless for the non-Welsh native speaker: it's all but impossible to look anything up, because the starts of words mutate instead of the ends of words.

To pacify those who think everyone living or visiting Wales should be able to speak the language.
Welsh language is a required subject in schools in Wales. Now, there is some argument that acquiring a second language at an age when the mind is plastic enough (mine never was) is a developmental benefit, but I would argue that it is a waste of curriculum time to impose what is (essentially) a self-serving pursuit on the entire education population when they could be learning something a damn sight more useful.

Did I tell you the one about the bomb alert in my local shopping mall, where the evacuation was delayed half a minute because the announcement came out in Welsh first?

[/soapbox]

Are there any great Welsh mathematicians? Sorry, wrong meaning of integrate!
But nonetheless, the meaning I meant!

Are there any great Welsh mathematicians? Sorry, wrong meaning of integrate!
I had a Welsh maths lecturer at uni. He had a very strong thick accent and it took me up to Christmas to work out who he was talking about when he mentioned "Plank Harry"! :D

As that "headline" was in an Internet article, there was no imperative to save space. I'm convinced they do it because they think it's snappy.

As that "headline" was in an Internet article, there was no imperative to save space. I'm convinced they do it because they think it's snappy.
Are you sure about that? My 3rd hand iPhone 5s (a recent "gift") can't fit much on a line. :D
If it's supposed to be snappy, it fails. It just doesn't read well.

Tomorrow I will read a different book than the one I read yesterday.

Tomorrow I will lead a different horse than the one I led yesterday.

Hmm.

Feed fed
Bleed bled
Speed sped

Heed hed
Need ned
Weed wed
Knead kned
Intercede interced

Dreed dred
Treed tred

Make made
Take tade
Make mook?

Last edited by a moderator:
Feed fed
Bleed bled
Speed sped

Heed hed
Need ned
Weed wed
Knead kned
Intercede interced

Dreed dred
Treed tred

Make made
Take tade
Make mook?
That reminds me of an invented conjugation we came up with at work:

I bodgit
you bodgit
he bodgesit
we bodgit
you bodgit
they bodgedit

(OK, so the last line suddenly goes past participle)

Does anybody do the daily Quick Crossword in the Mail? Yesterday there was a clue "Followers (6)", and the letters (with everything else filled in) were E_T__S.

There are very few combinations which fit those letters, but none of the words seem to fit the clue:
EATERS
ENTERS
ESTERS
ESTRUS
EXTOLS
EXTRAS

Back