Assume v. Presume

And "aluminum" as a-loo-min-um. I don't know why they can't cope with the second i.
At least they spell it without the second i, validating their pronunciation. IIRC there is a rationale for the difference, in that aluminium was originally aluminum.

The global concensus across the scientific commumity is to now accept the spelling without the "i". Of course in common parlance we plebs this side of the water will still spell it with the "i".

we plebs this side of the water will still spell it with the "i".
Why are we the plebs? It's our language.

The pronunciation is the same, but the recent change to the preferred spelling of sulphur as sulfur - noooo! I'm not not spelling my name with an ef (or is it eff - either way they can eff off). I noticed that the British spelling has returned on some products and recent articles, so that went well. One up to common sense, one down to global scientific consensus - I hope.

I deplore the slackening of precision with which words are used these days. Eventually da kidz will only need one word to describe everything.

For instance: I am due to attend a meeting in Cardiff tomorrow evening, and a (much younger) friend told me there might be difficulty parking due to a Beyoncé concert.

You've lost me there, and I'm definitely not in da kidz age group.

But as to the one word ... possibly so. Meaning might be conferred entirely by the inflexion/accent/emphasis within the word, though it might need to be a very long word. 🤔

I'm struggling to guess what the problem is with the example you cite. The meaning seems clear to me - but there's always the possibility that I've misunderstood the meaning.

But as to the one word ... possibly so. Meaning might be conferred entirely by the inflexion/accent/emphasis within the word, though it might need to be a very long word.
I'm sure there must be a long German word for it, I just can't find it.

a very loose interpretation of the word "concert"!
It seems to fit the dictionary definitions I've checked, though only if you allow that she is performing music.
I'm not especially familiar with her style but I'm pretty sure it's more musical than a lot of stuff these days, though YMMV.

but I'm pretty sure it's more musical than a lot of stuff these days, though
Like that (c)rap music someone was playing on the tram earlier. That included "singing" along and flinging his hands around. Any similarity between that and music has bypassed me!

I acknowledge I am not specifically familiar with Beyonce''s output (I wouldn't be able to name any tracks for example, though might recognise some if you threw them at me), but I'm classifying her(?) as another of those who appear to be in pain and have no vocal range whatsoever. What little I saw of the Eurovision "Song" Contest only reinforced that opinion. Therefore not music, therefore not a concert.

All a matter of taste. (No, I have no idea of Beyonce's output either).
You might classify opera singers as having vocal range. Personally, I can't stand some of the female singers (soprano?) who screech rather loudly. (Ruined an episode of a series I was watching).
What little I saw of the Eurovision "Song" Contest only reinforced that opinion. Therefore not music, therefore not a concert
You must have seen more than I did. I avoided it. When I used to watch it, it was for Wogan's commentary not the "music".

I acknowledge I am not specifically familiar with Beyonce''s output (I wouldn't be able to name any tracks for example, though might recognise some if you threw them at me), but I'm classifying her(?) as another of those who appear to be in pain and have no vocal range whatsoever. What little I saw of the Eurovision "Song" Contest only reinforced that opinion. Therefore not music, therefore not a concert.
Clearly you have never seen the movie Cadillac records where she played Etta James, she may not be as good as Etta but she by no means lacks vocal range
"Cadillac Records was produced by Andrew Lack and Sofia Sondervan, and co-executive produced by Beyoncé."
PS I am not a Beyonce fan just adverse to BS :).

Last edited:
My only quibble with calling it a concert is that I am given to understand she mimes her vocal as all the prancing around leaves her too out of breath to actually sing. May as well play her MTV videos,

Back