Assume v. Presume

It's a bit intriguing. The typical definition I find of concert is "a performance of music by players or singers that does not involve theatrical staging".
The first part does not, to me, exclude miming - the 'music', vocals, whatever are still being delivered to the audience.

The bit about theatrical staging has me puzzled though as it's not clear to me what it means and I can't find a definition of it. It does suggest to me that strictly a concert is purely musician(s) delivering music with no other 'decorations'. But that is a very wide grey line to draw. Even an orchestra could be accused of theatrics as they are all carefully arranged and dressed in a 'uniform' to present a particular appearance.

My guess is that "theatrical staging" is meant to differentiate opera and musical theatre from concert. However, the It Ain't Half Hot Mum action revolved around an army concert party, which appears to break that rule.

I just heard the Finish Plus advert end with the instruction "keep away from children". I generally do!!!
So do I. Unfortunately the annoying little sods get on buses and trams and make a lot of noise that I can hear even from the other end of the bus/tram.

I would have thought it was obvious that detergents are kept away from the little brats, but no we have to be reminded.

opera and musical theatre
From the TV showings of such performances, that are supposed to be live (or recorded as live), I've observed either miming* or a synchronization problem that doesn't exist on other programmes.

(* Some artists can't even lip-sync with their own voice track.)

So, basically, going forward we are all going to stop using these phrases. No disrespect, but I'm not going to lie, that isn't going to - like - happen. My bad.

In a similar aside to MikeSh's Susie Dent post, my local newspaper produced a most hated slang list (full story here ).
The top ten most annoying slang words according to the survey by Preply:
Innit 24.33%
Bird 24%
Bevvy 17.07%
Minging 16.73%
Bog 16.07%
Chav 15.87%
Trollied 15.53%
Knackered 14.93%
Bloody 14.93%
Nosh 14.33%
The most popular slang words in Britain right now though are knackered, tenner, cuppa, and skint.
Shame, I use bog, bloody and knackered frequently. (Mainly because I use the toilet frequently - damned blood pressure tablets, swear a lot, and am always tired). I wonder why those words are popular. "I'm skint. Can you spare a tenner for a cuppa?" Don't think prices are quite that high - yet.

Last edited:
So, went out last night wivva minging bird, who turned out to be a right chav, for some nosh and a few bevvies. Got totalz trollied and spent all night in the bog. Bloody knackered this morning, innit? Like?

Last edited:
I have a dislike of being called "buddy" by a work colleague but no problem with being called "mate". Is that me being US-phobic?

I have a dislike of being called "buddy" by a work colleague but no problem with being called "mate". Is that me being US-phobic?
For me it's "bro", we are not related and I am certainly not a monk even if my hair these days suggests I might be.

Not that I've been stopped by the police, but from various TV programmes it seems the local constabulary like to be over familiar with the public. "Buddy" springs to mind as one of the offending expressions. "Sir" will do just fine!

BBC Breakfast today, 7.50am, item about the annual '500 Words' children's writing competition.

Francesca Simon (Horrid Henry author, and 500 Words judge) said: "I receive a number of letters from kids praising my use of full stops and capital letters... something has gone really awry here... it's really not about that."

Back