Aura UHD android TV recorder November launch

Can't do - I have the flash, and it isn't my thread, but the flash only turned up when I just posted now so I think it means I'm active on the forum... but I know that, why would I need to be told? The same flash is not present on your avatar, but you are active.
I realised that after posting - @Luke the real OP has an stripe with OP across his Avatar, I think it probably is an inaccurate 'Active' flag

I realised that after posting - @Luke the real OP has an stripe with OP across his Avatar, I think it probably is an inaccurate 'Active' flag
Whether the green triangle displays for other people on ones avatar can be set in preferences. The settings in preferences does not impact whether the green triangle displays on one's own avatar.
1605707609733.png

I am now a beta tester for the Aura! (Well, we all were when Windoze was released.) My Panasonic boxes are aging and I thought I would give this a go, especially as it runs Android. ;->

I ordered direct from Humax so returns would be easy, and used the HIFIVE discount code, which reduces the price by surprisingly little!

Apologies if this is a question that may be covered elsewhere on the Forum but Is it possible to transfer recordings from a HDR-FOX T2 to the new Aura PVR?
Why is this so difficult? Anyone buying a replacement box surely wants to do that. I have a couple of BT Youviews, a couple of Panasonic recorders, and now an Aura, and would love to do the obvious thing.

A record even for Humax!

Set up at 8am.
Hung at 3pm, on starting the box. Totally unresponsive, no output to the TV.

It is quite a feat to achieve that with Android!

A few years ago I spent several months scraping SD recordings off the HDD from a failed Samsung DVD/PVR (never again) , and messing about with Handbrake. This is apparently possible with the DTR-T1000 and, as Black Hole has pointed out, easier if you have a Linux machine. It is a lot harder than just buying compatible optical discs if they have actually got round to issuing them. I suspect it is going to get harder still with the advent of Britbox and Salto. In the past I have had to order anglo-saxon content from Germany and Australia.
I normally playback via the Panasonic 4k Bluray. In three or four years I have acquired as many 4k discs. It does do a better job of upscaling than the previous machine, but of course it is region locked.
Anti-copying measures may have the effect of protecting content providers, but must impact on hardware sales. I believe Humax are now out of the Freesat market. I am wondering if I can use an FTA receiver with a single feed, and what I would have to do that I have not already been doing with the Foxsat.
My Aura has been powered on and off several times a day since Monday. I have seen the odd issue such as persistent picture in picture, which could probably be resolved by a software update. It is most likely possible to copy content to the Aura with a file manager, but you already have it on HDD you might as well save the internal disk space and playback via the USB (NTFS), or NAS if you have it. Obviously a backup is desirable. I did get the usual option to format the HDD. The main problem is actually identifying less popular content on Amazon Prime Video.

I bought the Aura to upgrade my HDR Fox-T2 and cover the failure of a computer that provided access to catch-up services. Bought from Richer Sounds, delivered Tuesday. Ethernet linked to BT Home Hub 2.0 via a BT Extender Flex.

I am not interested in Premium Internet services and bought the Aura because of my good experiences with the 9200, HD Fox-T2 and HD Fox-T2. My other PVR is a TVonics HD500.

Set recordings on the Aura matched to those of the Fox and recordings were ok on Tuesday and Wednesday. UKTVPlay app used on Wednesday to watch 'Strike' Ep1.
Yesterday it failed to respond to the power-on button so carried out a power cycle.
Left the Aura recording in 'operational' mode when I went to bed.

This morning (Friday) found the Aura still recording the Plague Programme (2100 - 2200) and it failed to respond to the stop recording button. Indicated recording time prior to power-cycle was over 10 hours. After a power-cycle the recording time was reduced to 29 minutes; the recording plays up until that time. Possible linked factor: my Home Hub is set to power-save from 2200 to 0630.

Set the Aura to record The Repair Shop (0800 - 0900) on BBC2 and disconnected the Ethernet connection after 30 minutes recording. The recording was successful.

Set the Aura into low-power mode with scheduled simultaneous recordings (BBC1 and Ch5 from 1345 to 1415); both failed to record and the Aura failed to switch-on using the Remote. Remote checked - it turned on the Fox and also controlled the Aura after another power-cycle of it.

There is a recording set for tonight covering the 2100 to 2200 timeslot on BBC2. I will put the Aura into standby, not low-power, mode and see what happens.

I bought the Aura to upgrade my HDR Fox-T2 and cover the failure of a computer that provided access to catch-up services. Bought from Richer Sounds, delivered Tuesday. Ethernet linked to BT Home Hub 2.0 via a BT Extender Flex.

I am not interested in Premium Internet services and bought the Aura because of my good experiences with the 9200, HD Fox-T2 and HD Fox-T2. My other PVR is a TVonics HD500.

Set recordings on the Aura matched to those of the Fox and recordings were ok on Tuesday and Wednesday. UKTVPlay app used on Wednesday to watch 'Strike' Ep1.
Yesterday it failed to respond to the power-on button so carried out a power cycle.
Left the Aura recording in 'operational' mode when I went to bed.

This morning (Friday) found the Aura still recording the Plague Programme (2100 - 2200) and it failed to respond to the stop recording button. Indicated recording time prior to power-cycle was over 10 hours. After a power-cycle the recording time was reduced to 29 minutes; the recording plays up until that time. Possible linked factor: my Home Hub is set to power-save from 2200 to 0630.

Set the Aura to record The Repair Shop (0800 - 0900) on BBC2 and disconnected the Ethernet connection after 30 minutes recording. The recording was successful.

Set the Aura into low-power mode with scheduled simultaneous recordings (BBC1 and Ch5 from 1345 to 1415); both failed to record and the Aura failed to switch-on using the Remote. Remote checked - it turned on the Fox and also controlled the Aura after another power-cycle of it.

There is a recording set for tonight covering the 2100 to 2200 timeslot on BBC2. I will put the Aura into standby, not low-power, mode and see what happens.

If you put the unit in long push sby. Then it appears not to boot. If you wait for 2-3 mins it will eventually start up. The remote is a hybrid Bluetooth (For voice assist) and a infra red remote defaulting to code set 1. If you change the code set of the HD FOX-T2 and it's remote to another of the 6 available it should stop the Aura remote controlling the HD-FOX-T2. Surprised the box did not wake from low power sby to make the recordings as it has a known bug. When the recording is complete it fails to return to low power sby.

Can you post the Application Version and update date from FVP - settings - Freeview preferences - System. You may not yet have the latest.

Many thanks for info. Here is the data you requested:

Application Version: 1.00_25_201029_0a7a47a
Firmware: 00.09.09
Update Date: Oct 29, 2020, 11:06:43am

Any idea why it takes so long to power up from low-power mode given that when I first connected it to its power supply was not a few minutes before the LED went blue and images appeared on the TV Screen?

Many thanks for info. Here is the data you requested:

Application Version: 1.00_25_201029_0a7a47a
Firmware: 00.09.09
Update Date: Oct 29, 2020, 11:06:43am

Any idea why it takes so long to power up from low-power mode given that when I first connected it to its power supply was not a few minutes before the LED went blue and images appeared on the TV Screen?

Because getting the power level below the required less than 0.5W requires shutting down everything other than the clock (including the main energy drain (the harddisk). Your box was in active sby, hard disk running and only the video and audio outputs turned off. All it had to do is turn these services on.

Your software is the same as mine. No idea why your box will not record from full sby. Perhaps avoid long push sby till every recording of the day has been made, Put it in long push till last thing in the evening.

Next morning put your ear close to the box. If the hard disk is running you will hear it. If silent When you press the power on button you will hear a the hdd spin up and the the live TV pictures will appear about two mins later just after the loading android animation appears.

Don't know about putting my ear to it, I can hear mine running as soon as I enter the room. Even the neighbours are complaining, and our house is detached.

I'm sorry but perhaps I did not explain myself clearly enough. Before I first connected the Aura to the mains it was connected to my TV with my TV's HDMI channel directed to receive information from the Aura. In that condition the Aura is effectively in zero power mode and it is the power-up time from that state I am comparing to that of coming out of low-power mode.

I admit that it is perception I am talking about rather than measured values so I will have to experiment given your advice to wait longer than I had thought necessary.

Yes, I had noticed that the disk keeps spinning when in standby, although I only monitored it for an hour.

Don't know about putting my ear to it, I can hear mine running as soon as I enter the room. Even the neighbours are complaining, and our house is detached.
I'm sorry but perhaps I did not explain myself clearly enough. Before I first connected the Aura to the mains it was connected to my TV with my TV's HDMI channel directed to receive information from the Aura. In that condition the Aura is effectively in zero power mode and it is the power-up time from that state I am comparing to that of coming out of low-power mode.

I admit that it is perception I am talking about rather than measured values so I will have to experiment given your advice to wait longer than I had thought necessary.

Yes, I had noticed that the disk keeps spinning when in standby, although I only monitored it for an hour.

Incorrect. when you first power on the Aura it boots to active sby mode for setup. . The HHD is running in active sby mode. If it was not it would take a long time to boot.

Something is wrong. Only way I can hear the hard disk if the FVP5000T mounted on top of it is off and the avr is off Its a laptop sized drive. Can you hear your laptop drive, resting on your lap ?

The box will not go to sleep if a recording is due and watching for a accurate recording due in the next 20 mins or so. Thanks to a bug it will not return to low power sby.

As I posted. Display the schedule and check the next recording is later than the time you will push long push the power off button and listen to the box when you next try to power it on. In full power sby mine is totally silent.

Depending on your recording schedule 1 hr is far too short.

A few seconds after pressing the power button you should hear the HDD spin up provided you are in quiet location.

If your HDD is truly that noisy you should return it. I sit about 1M from mine. And even in a totally quiet room only way to tell if its running is earhole next to the box or pull the power out of the back of the box, the HDD powering down and parking the heads is easily heard.

If it was not it would take a long time to boot.
I am glad Android phones do not run from HDDs then. The solution is to run the OS from an SSD and store recordings on a HDD. Any other solution is clearly not feasible. Map the HDD to a folder on the SSD if necessary. It isn't difficult.

As for the HDD noise, I have never experienced any HDD I could not hear. All my recorders purr away and always have.

Humax have stated that Netflix will not ever be available on this box. Form your own conclusions. Not a one box solution but close. Get a 4K firestick. Try a black Friday deal.
I don't understand this 4k firestick unless you have an antediluvian 4k tv. Shirley, if you want 4k netflix you need a 4k tv which has a netflix app.

No, you need a 4k firestick and a 4k TV with an HDMI socket.
What part of it don't you understand?

Back