Aura UHD android TV recorder November launch

The video review specifically mentions the ability to sideload apps that are not available from the app store
Yes, but it also demos that side loading Netflix only enables very low quality, therefore it is not a practical work round.

Yes their are reports of being able to down load an Now TV app but those reports state that when tying to then use the app the message "NowTV is not supported on this device" is displayed.

There is ad skipping both forward and reverse with user settings for both.
"Humax Direct" have posted on Amazon Q&A that the Humax Aura does not not skip forward or back.

Which buttons on the remote have you used to skip forward and back?

Support for text subtitles withdrawn despite closure being extended,
That is a new one.
Have you attempted to use subtitles on a Humax Aura?
Also please would you provide a link to details about considering to withdraw subtitles.

Yes, but it also demos that side loading Netflix only enables very low quality, therefore it is not a practical work round.
True but it is the principle of whether you can sideload at all that determines how flexible the AURA is likely to be, not just whether or not you access Netflix

So far we have two reports one saying it is possible and another saying it isn't,
It is possible the video reviewer was given a pre-release version and they have subsequently tightened the rules which would be a pity.

I am not in that much rush to replace my HDR T2 that I am willing to risk £250 to be on the bleeding edge.
At the moment the Homerun is looking to be a more flexible alternative to me

"Humax Direct" have posted on Amazon Q&A that the Humax Aura does not not skip forward or back.

Which buttons on the remote have you used to skip forward and back?
The < and > buttons are used to skip back and forward, and can be set to one of the following values

7, 15, 30, 60, 120, 240 seconds
That is a new one.
Have you attempted to use subtitles on a Humax Aura?
Subtitles do work on the aura, and are accessed via the S/AD button.

Just in case anyone is not familiar with the S/AD button, the S stands for Subtitles and the AD stands for Audio Description to help the hearing impaired and the seeing impaired respectively.

Last edited:
I know I have tried it using apps to fire. All failed at the last stage. As I said get one and try it.

Buy one from a source you can return it if it fails to meet your expactations return it. Lots have - try a google search.

Do not shoot the messenger. What more can I say. Down to you lot to buy one and make your own mind up.

Looking forward to your posts ;)
Huh? Sideloading is simple, use x-plore file manager or send files to tv app. Can even ssh into the humax and send files and apps that way. Granted, sideloading Netflix will only give you the tablet/mobile version. I've sideloaded a ton of apps already. Wouldn't use apps to fire personally. I've also installed apps from USA and other countries direct from playstore without issue.

Get real I have a box it's clear you do not.
Your reply seems to be a bit hostile for some reason Graham, I would have thought that comments like The reviews say . . . and I also understand it is possible to . . . made it perfectly clear that I don't own an Aura

Now-TV . . . netflix . . . Amazon Prime
I made no mention of any of these Apps. in my post so I'm guessing your comments weren't aimed towards me

I can only suggest you get one and report as a beta tester based on actual experience.
Are you sure?, you don't seem very happy with your purchase, I'm wondering if you are the best person to comment on the Aura, luckily there are other owners on the forum

Your reply seems to be a bit hostile for some reason Graham, I would have thought that comments like The reviews say . . . and I also understand it is possible to . . . made it perfectly clear that I don't own an Aura

I made no mention of any of these Apps. in my post so I'm guessing your comments weren't aimed towards me

Are you sure?, you don't seem very happy with your purchase, I'm wondering if you are the best person to comment on the Aura, luckily there are other owners on the forum

It has potential, but in my opinion released too early making purchasers effectively beta testers. If anyone is happy with this then by all means buy one. Because the box fails to return to full sby after waking to make a recording. Then best workaround is to engage low power sby after the last recording of the day. Waking from low power sby is slow. Similar to a Youview box in lowest power mode. It varies but it takes around 2 minutes to get to live TV. It's certainly faster than the somewhat pedestrian FVP-5000T and has similar maximum number of simultaneous recordings - both devices have 3 tuners. And like the other boxes A single tuner can handle two at the same time from the same mux.

The Humax 4K Aura ordered from Humax Direct via Amazon at 11:52 Saturday 14th materialised in an Amazon Locker at 13:51 yesterday.

It obligingly installed all the apps I had on the Philips TV (Android 5), including VLC and ARD1 (probably of little interest). BBC I-Player works. No, there is no Netflix (yet?) and no Britbox.

I’m glad I experimented with spare drives. My first thought was to format a spare M.2 SSD as Ext 4. It is now an ex-SSD.

Finally, I managed to format a 180gb HDD as NTFS, and played back a 7gb TS from the Foxsat in VLC. VLC at least is ok with MP4s, M4Vs and MKVs.

I hope this helps somebody.

The Humax 4K Aura ordered from Humax Direct via Amazon at 11:52 Saturday 14th materialised in an Amazon Locker at 13:51 yesterday.

It obligingly installed all the apps I had on the Philips TV (Android 5), including VLC and ARD1 (probably of little interest). BBC I-Player works. No, there is no Netflix (yet?) and no Britbox.

I’m glad I experimented with spare drives. My first thought was to format a spare M.2 SSD as Ext 4. It is now an ex-SSD.

Finally, I managed to format a 180gb HDD as NTFS, and played back a 7gb TS from the Foxsat in VLC. VLC at least is ok with MP4s, M4Vs and MKVs.

Not sure if you have any fire devices but britbox can be extracted and installed on the aura.

Britbox is rolling out to all android tv devices over the next few months natively if you preferred to wait

Not sure if you have any fire devices but britbox can be extracted and installed on the aura.

Britbox is rolling out to all android tv devices over the next few months natively if you preferred to wait
Native apps are a lot easier. I might have another go with the TV5 Monde mobile apk. Salto I think is confined to L'Hexagone for a while.
TV Browser is a bit better than on the Philips, but it's not a great experience. It does support the Logitech media keyboard.

Humax have stated that Netflix will not ever be available on this box. Form your own conclusions. Not a one box solution but close. Get a 4K firestick. Try a black Friday deal.

I have actually had Netflix on the Philips TV for ages and not used it. The lack of it on the Aura is probably going to be a deal breaker for many.

I have been looking for both a new Sat PVR and a reliable up to date Android device for a while. I do need a Freeview PVR as well because there is only a single feed and a communal dish. While clashes are rare, it has taken months to get the managing agents to act, and an upgrade is not on the cards. The old DTR-T1000 was hot in standby and only had series on it. These appear to be mostly available for streaming, so I just swapped it out. The Foxsat isn't going to last forever and only has a 320 gb HDD. I have already lost the external Ext 3 HDD.

I have tried to replace content on HDD with DVDs/Blu-rays, but after the nightmare of acquiring Doctor Who Series 14, and generally trying to identify and source less popular material I decided I had to look at streaming options.

I considered Amazon Fire, Apple TV and the new Chromecast. They all take up an HDMI port, of which there seem to be fewer on newer sets. I'm not sure if any of them would work with a switch, and I didn't really want to replace the SD AV receiver. The Fire Stick and Chromecast both need a USB hub/Ethernet adaptor.

It would be great if someone came up with custom firmware for the Aura, but at least it has a 1tb drive.

I found a number of references, revised standards, direct connection of Fire recommended, undesired switching to Chromecast from Freeview, but not the one I was looking for, which as I recall related to the device actually being on all the time, albeit consuming low power.

Last edited:
Apparently I' m not allowed to include links yet.
Links (Web Pages and Email Addresses)

Email addresses and URLs are not permitted until the author has accumulated sufficient forum posts (currently 20, but this can be varied according to the level of threat). This is a means of discouraging spammers, so that newbies can't put inappropriate content in public view until they have a history of being "clean". The forum software will reject any post which contains, or appears to contain, links.

Thanks for this. I thought that was probably the reason. It's been a while since I posted anywhere. Why do I have a green top left corner, and what is a trophy? I'm afraid an FAQ section isn't leaping out at me, any more than the Humax Direct option on Amazon.

The top left corner flash indicates you are the Original Poster (OP) of this thread
Can't do - I have the flash, and it isn't my thread, but the flash only turned up when I just posted now so I think it means I'm active on the forum... but I know that, why would I need to be told? The same flash is not present on your avatar, but you are active.

Back