Aura UHD android TV recorder November launch

I'm afraid I must disagree. There is certainly good SD and bad HD. As I recall, the broadcast HD version of Francesco's Venice was worse than the DVD. I've just tried the WebIF with His Dark Materials, and the result is definitely bad SD. There's no comparison with 4k streaming on BBC IPlayer. Fortunately it's something I watch but don't keep.

I'm afraid I must disagree. There is certainly good SD and bad HD. As I recall, the broadcast HD version of Francesco's Venice was worse than the DVD. I've just tried the WebIF with His Dark Materials, and the result is definitely bad SD. There's no comparison with 4k streaming on BBC IPlayer. Fortunately it's something I watch but don't keep.

I did not understand a word of this.

There is currently no 4K sources on iplayer. When there was it was HLG HDR so viewed on a 4K TV with HLG capability of course it looks superb (not quite up to a 4K-HDR bluray though.

Unlike SD TV which uses mpeg2 for video compression the the file uses the much more efficient AVC as used by HD channels. This is way more efficient than mpeg 2. So the bitrate is reasonable. Certainly adequate for viewing on a phone screen.

Full details

General
ID : 0 (0x0)
Complete name : C:\Users\graha\Downloads\Antiques Road Trip.ts
Format : MPEG-TS
File size : 753 MiB
Duration : 44 min 41 s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 2 356 kb/s

Video
ID : 100 (0x64)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames : 2 frames
Frame mode : Frame doubling
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=30
Codec ID : 27
Duration : 44 min 39 s
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive

Audio
ID : 200 (0xC8)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : LC
Muxing mode : ADTS
Codec ID : 15
Duration : 44 min 38 s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy

It's nowhere near as good as the Full-HD stream from the other android TV box I have viewed on a high res 16:9 tablet. It's a vbox 4 tuner device I will find a photo and post it

Last edited:
Sorry. I've just checked again. The episodes of HDM are clearly flagged UHD. The converted quality may, as you say, be adequate for playback on a phone. I've no idea why Francesco's Venice looked so bad.

Last edited:
There is a correct way to set saturation. Trouble is, domestic tellies make it impossible to do it. Lack of correct test signal is also a barrier, but I guess that's easier to get round these days than it used to be.

There is a correct way to set saturation. Trouble is, domestic tellies make it impossible to do it. Lack of correct test signal is also a barrier, but I guess that's easier to get round these days than it used to be.

It's down to your monitor settings. Photoshop confirms white pixels are pure white. I can change the balance but that's pretty pointless.

Your colour is turned up way too high Graham. When did you last see Holly that orange?

It's not orange on mine and it's not a TV. I checked the image in photoshop using a adjustment layer to find true white pixels. Also checked neutral grey is correct. Using RGB colour space . White pixels are equal values of red blue and green. The higher the number increases the brightness but remains white. Colour casts are caused by unequal entries if you increase the red it creates a red cast. On a TV or monitor every pixel has 3 sub pixels Red Green and Blue. You can magnify the image in photoshop so you can see the individual pixels.

The photo was taken with a phone camera not a dslr using RAW images. That's why I corrected the phone image and I also had to resize it as it's far too big to upload. The phone takes 2997 x 1722 pixel images.

Last edited:
I agree with Black Hole and EEPhil. These things are somewhat subjective. I don't think there is a way to calibrate the Philips TV I use for everything.
As for SD quality, after reading a Black Hole post , I tried scraping some missed SD episodes off the DTR-1000 HDD. This worked, and they were far better quality than the one downloaded from the Aura, which I decided, like the BBC HD Venice episode, wasn't worth keeping. I did think about posting to see if anyone else had made the same observation.
My interest is still in what happens in the event of hardware upgrade or failure, rather than mobile viewing. I still have a couple of encrypted recordings on the FoxSat HDR which have not been repeated.
How do I put the 🤣 on #230 and #235?

Last edited:
Which? We may help with those.
I think just Travels with Vasari, Opera Italia 27/05, and Elgar: the Man Behind the Mask. I lost Vienna: City of Dreams which was on the Hitachi USB drive.
Bit late now, but I had to run the TV5 Monde recordings through Handbrake. VLC was ok, but "Convert for streaming" didn't work for playback on the Panasonic.

Which? We may help with those.

How ??

Afaik There is no known way of decrypting existing HD recordings on a Foxsat-HDR only preventing future recordings being encrypted as they are recorded.

Had they been on a HDR-FOX-T2 that's a totally different animal.

Back