Aura UHD android TV recorder November launch

There was an announcement before His Dark Materials last night, something to the effect: "press red button now to view this programme in glorious UHD".

Another reboot needed. This time, the Aura was switching on and off, going to the home screen, but no sound and video.

No recordings happening.

Signal and quality at 100%.

Unplugging power and restarting cured the problem.

Another reboot needed. This time, the Aura was switching on and off, going to the home screen, but no sound and video.

No recordings happening.

Signal and quality at 100%.

Unplugging power and restarting cured the problem.

Send it back.

For me, the user interface is important. I’m still using my trusty Humax HDR-Fox T2 as the menu navigation is just so intuitive. If the Aura is as quick then I may be sold. If the menu navigation however is as clunky as the FVP-4000T then count me out.
From the review on YouTube, it seems fairly brisk and responsive. I suppose if you're as crap as Humax seem to be at UI design, it makes sense to buy it in from an expert - i.e. Android.

Still no folders, from what I've seen: I used to really like the folders feature on older Humax boxes, and I'd love to be able to file stuff away in a system of my own design.

I don't know much about the internals of Android TV; is this likely to be hackable?

NTFS is a hassle for macs as they don't natively write to it without third party software. That is also an oversight by Apple.
FAT32 is really a poor choice even 1080 HD films often are over 4GBs so what earthly use is it for 4K UHD.
Not sure it's an "oversight", as deliberate spoiler. Apple seem to go out of their way to limit interoperability with MS.

Their version of iTunes for Windows was possibly the worst piece of software I've ever used - and I've worked on IBM mainframe products!

From the review on YouTube, it seems fairly brisk and responsive. I suppose if you're as crap as Humax seem to be at UI design, it makes sense to buy it in from an expert - i.e. Android.

Still no folders, from what I've seen: I used to really like the folders feature on older Humax boxes, and I'd love to be able to file stuff away in a system of my own design.

I don't know much about the internals of Android TV; is this likely to be hackable?

It's much faster than a 4000/5000T. Especially in the epg setting recordings. It does still retain the cancel option after setting a recording. 99 times out of a 100 you want to go back to add more recordings. Rturn though is near instantaneous.

It's much faster than a 4000/5000T. Especially in the epg setting recordings. It does still retain the cancel option after setting a recording. 99 times out of a 100 you want to go back to add more recordings. Rturn though is near instantaneous.
Can you scroll up from the top of the recordings list to get to the oldest one at the bottom I wonder. Not having that on the 5000 is a serious omission as far as I'm concerned.

-Mat

Can you scroll up from the top of the recordings list to get to the oldest one at the bottom I wonder. Not having that on the 5000 is a serious omission as far as I'm concerned.

-Mat
no but you can filter the list by channel or day of the week. Up takes you to switch between icons and text.

I currently have 57 recordings. When filtered by channel there is just 5 folders.

Channel up down moves a whole page at a time. In text mode each page shows 9 recordings newest at the top.

Yellow has sort options

by recently recorded

by A-Z

by converted. blue downloads a SD 720 x 576 copy you can view on a mobile device off air. EDIT interestingly this is compressed using AVC presumably reducing the file size. You can also download these to a PC without the aura app. I have a post on this on My Humax if anyone want's to know how to do this.

you can select all or individual ones if you want to delete a lot of old recordings using red

Humax owners will be happy to see the use of the colour keys.

Currently the Aura app is not yet released. This will let you view the downloaded recordings on the device with the app on. Schedule recordings from the guide and hopefully remote scheduling. The box already has remote scheduling capability. Not tried as due to lockdown not been away from home, so no point at the present time.

Remote control has voice assist in Bluetooth mode. In infra red mode it runs in mode 1 and cannot be changed. This may change with a future software update. This means that other Humax kit needs their code changing to other than 1.

No netflix (licencing limitation) but has Amazon Prime. Not an issue for me as i have a 4K firestick.

All Android TV devices have a built in chromecast device including the Aura. So lots of other kit can cast to the built in chromecast.

This is a problem for DTR owners because they omitted to include multi code ir capability and also manual recording. I always thought that this would cause issues in the future.

Last edited:
When in the guide and you are on say ITV, which will be at the top, what happens when you press the central up button to get to BBC1, does it just nudge up a line at a time (like HDR) or does it jump a whole page?. That is one of the many peeves I have with my 4000. In it's earlier firmwares it behaved the same as the HDR, then they made a change which made it jump a whole page instead of nudging up a line at a time.

I know I can just type 101 to put BBC1 to the top, but I like to be able to nudge a line at a time.

You mean you can't record a programme which has already started? Sheesh.
That's the same as as the other Humax boxes. Seems pretty lame you don't know that. Or are just trying to be obnoxious :X3:. Like the other Humax boxes if you were tuned to the channel when it started or had a watch reservation you can simply press the instant record button. BBC channels have the view from the beginning option using iplayer. And all have the ip delivered backwards epg.

How can you record the complete programme on a programme you do not have the beginning in a buffer ? You can of course record from the current time to the end.

Or are just trying to be obnoxious :X3:.
Not at all, I am never trying to be obnoxious (except in certain specific cases!), the meaning of your post was not clear. I read it to mean you could not just press record manually.
omitted to include multi code ir capability and also manual recording
Perhaps you could have written "manual timer recording", to clarify.

A significant number of arguments break out because some passage is not clear, and is interpreted one way when the author meant it another way (and even subsequently doesn't won't accept there could be an alternative understanding). I have written much about this, but still it doesn't get through in many cases.

Some even rail against being corrected.

When in the guide and you are on say ITV, which will be at the top, what happens when you press the central up button to get to BBC1, does it just nudge up a line at a time (like HDR) or does it jump a whole page?. That is one of the many peeves I have with my 4000. In it's earlier firmwares it behaved the same as the HDR, then they made a change which made it jump a whole page instead of nudging up a line at a time.

I know I can just type 101 to put BBC1 to the top, but I like to be able to nudge a line at a time.

I have my guide set to display only HDTV channels as I don't record anything but HD and this also makes the most of the 3 tuners as all the main HD channels are on a single Mux. . If you set to display. Using Red you have the following epg filter options. ALL TV , HDTV, Radio, and five user definable Favourites so you can pretty well set up the epg to show what you want. For instance if your transmitter has the extra COM HD channels you can add these to the HDTV channels. My relay transmitter does not have the extra temporary mux.

You can record 4 of the 5 HD channels at the same time and record the other using the watch dodge and recording that from the time shift buffer.

All puts BBC 1 001 at the top of the list. up down moves one up or down at a time. Channel up down a whole page at a time, And entering the channel number goes to that channel pressing up one on 001 jumps to the bottom of the epg which happens to be 795 Arquiva Test Channel. Down from there goes back to the top of the epg

Not at all, I am never trying to be obnoxious (except in certain specific cases!), the meaning of your post was not clear. I read it to mean you could not just press record manually.

Perhaps you could have written "manual timer recording", to clarify.

A significant number of arguments break out because some passage is not clear, and is interpreted one way when the author meant it another way (and even subsequently doesn't won't accept there could be an alternative understanding). I have written much about this, but still it doesn't get through in many cases.

Some even rail against being corrected.

Seems pretty pointless recording a programme that has already started without the beginning. so I never bother. You can invariably watch the complete programme using the catch up options. Often within a short time from the backwards epg

...All puts BBC 1 001 at the top of the list. up down moves one up or down at a time. Channel up down a whole page at a time, And entering the channel number goes to that channel pressing up one on 001 jumps to the bottom of the epg which happens to be 795 Arquiva Test Channel. Down from there goes back to the top of the epg

I'm confused by what you are saying, what happens when you press the central up button when you are at the top of the guide, does it just nudge up 1 line to the channel above it or does it jump to a whole new page? I think what you are saying is it behaves the same as the 4000 which is a real shame :(

Back