Auto Backup / Restore Stopped

Ezra Pound

I did a retune Today to sort the 302 /308 Red button channels without forcing a Manual Backup of Recording Schedule and Favourites (which is completely my own fault), however I was expecting to be able to do a Restore from the daily Auto Backup feature, only to find that it stopped 5 days ago, Oh S**t, any idea why it stopped?
here are the most recent auto backups

backup.jpg

Mine's stopped too. I guess this is a screw-up with the latest Web-If, which seems to have been a bit of a lemon.

So /mod/etc/anacrontab says this
Code:
1 8 sched_backup /mod/webife/cgi-bin/backup/backup.jim
As you may see, there is an extra 'e' on the end of 'webif'.
Take this off (use Web-If Diag, File Editor) and it'll work again.

Well spotted, I have edited out the 'e' from the end of 'webife' and will monitor the auto backup later Today - Thanks

Based on prpr's database tweak, af issued a diagnostic which would have switched 302 to 308 without a retune.

I'm having difficulty imagining why a text error crept into an anacrontab line that hasn't changed for yonks though.

Thanks Ezra & prpr for drawing it to my attention and providing a timely solution.

Appreciated.

I can confirm prpr's mod does the job, I haven't worked out how to predict when an anacrontab event will take place yet, (a delay of 6+3+5+7+8 Mins.?), however it has started working again

backup2.jpg

Anacron is run at startup and also from cron at 02:00. The first column in anacrontab sets the delay from the previous run and is normally set to 1 day in this case. If the time between successive runs of the application (in this case backup.jim) is at least 1 day, it will execute the line in anacrontab. The second column is an additional delay in minutes which is usually used to stagger the execution times of the anacron entries.

Cron is fine for applications where the system is always on since it always runs the app at a set time. Anacron is useful where the system can be switched off since it can also run the app. at startup.

There is no inconvenience (as long as a current back-up exists) in carrying out a retune, it is very easy and reliable to simply re-tune and then restore a full list of recording schedules and favourites from the Web-If >> Scheduled Events >> Backup / Restore Scheduled Recording Events screen

Takes time, is higher (if slight) risk, those of us who care have to delete all the crap again, and is unnecessary if a simple database tweak will sort it (at next reboot). I vote database tweaks wherever possible, and (if LCN changes are all that are involved) that includes this update.

From the "Future Channels and Events" section of the wikipedia entry it looks like a 3 way switch on Monday.

Is it possible to write a diagnostic to find and replace the assigned channel numbers?
It depends on what is changing. The referenced web site shows the LCN (channel number) changes but not whether anything is changing MUX or which MUX the new Drama channel will be on.

Edit: Actually, it will always be possible to write a diagnostic to do this but the same information will be required. I'll have a dig around.

A retune is going to be the best option in this case. Any diagnostic script would have to either parse a live DVB stream to determine what PIDs to use for the Video and Audio streams or have them hard coded in it for each region.

A retune is going to be the best option in this case. Any diagnostic script would have to either parse a live DVB stream to determine what PIDs to use for the Video and Audio streams or have them hard coded in it for each region.
Are the PIDs not going to be the same in each region I wonder? I guess time will tell...

FWIW, I wasn't aware 302 had started up on COM5 until yesterday (and was wondering about the missing Wimbledon stream) and have now been trying to add it to a remote box. I've copied the relevant settings from mine having tweaked to suit the remote:
Code:
insert into TBL_SVC (
eSvcType,eVideoType,eCasType,ucVideoCodec,ucAudioCodec,usTtxPid,tsIdx,prvIdx,
ucSearchFlag,eOrgDeliType,ucAudUserSetFlag,ucSubttlUserFlag,ucSubttlIdx,ucLocked,
usAudioAuxPid,ucSatType,ucSoundMode,ucAudioAuxCodec,usDolbyPid,ucChListPriority,
ucAntIdx,usOnId,usTsId,ucModifiedName,ucDolbyFlag,ucLcnFlag,ucVisibleSvcFlag,
ucDolbyCodec,eOrgSvcType,ulRatingPassedEventId,eSection,eSvcOpType,eUserFlag1,
usOrgLcn,ulFTAContentMgr,ucGuidanceType,ucGuidanceMode,szGuidanceStr,stRegionInfo
) select
eSvcType,eVideoType,eCasType,ucVideoCodec,ucAudioCodec,usTtxPid,tsIdx,prvIdx,
ucSearchFlag,eOrgDeliType,ucAudUserSetFlag,ucSubttlUserFlag,ucSubttlIdx,ucLocked,
usAudioAuxPid,ucSatType,ucSoundMode,ucAudioAuxCodec,usDolbyPid,ucChListPriority,
ucAntIdx,usOnId,usTsId,ucModifiedName,ucDolbyFlag,ucLcnFlag,ucVisibleSvcFlag,
ucDolbyCodec,eOrgSvcType,ulRatingPassedEventId,eSection,eSvcOpType,eUserFlag1,
usOrgLcn,ulFTAContentMgr,ucGuidanceType,ucGuidanceMode,szGuidanceStr,stRegionInfo
from TBL_SVC where usLcn=29;

update TBL_SVC set usLcn=302,szSvcName="BBC RB 302",usSvcId=23248,usPmtPid=733,
usVideoPid=2601,usAudioPid=2602,usPcrPid=2601,
hSvc=65536*(select tsIdx from TBL_SVC where usLcn=29)+
(select seq from sqlite_sequence where name="TBL_SVC"),
aucDefaultAuthority="fp.bbc.co.uk"
where svcIdx=
(select seq from sqlite_sequence where name="TBL_SVC");

Can't test this until tonight, but the database entries look right :)

Back