Backup/restore recording schedule when doing factory reset?

The T2 will play back Foxsat unencrypted recordings (delete or rename the sidecar files leaving only the .ts). You can recreate suitable sidecar files for the T2 to give you full playback options using Raydons AV2HDR-T2 utility.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/av2hdr-t2-v10-for-the-humax-hdr-fox-t2

Note HD recordings will play back the AD track rather than the main audio (2.0 or 5.1). You can remux the file losing the AD track using TSmuxerGUI. You can actually stream recordings from the Foxsat to the T2 (requires convertfiles on the Foxsat to correct the audio track problem). It actually improves the picture on HD content as the FOx T2 has a crisper HD output than the Foxsat. It's easier to use Foxsat files externally as the audio is ac3 rather than aac.

I sometimes suffer weather related co-channel interference on Freeview, Freesat is immune from this.

Why not keep both in service ?

Thanks so much - your message has probably saved me hours of discovery, trial and error! I'd never heard of the AD track before, but had inadvertently encountered it on occasion so glad that I now know what it is! I was intrigued by your comment re. ac3 being an easier format to use externally - why is that?

I did think about keeping both the Foxsat and T2 in service, but decided that it would be pretty tricky as they both respond to the same IR commands from the remote. It could get chaotic pretty quickly.

It sounds like I have a lengthy video processing job to lose the AD tracks on my existing recordings before transferring them to the T2....

If you want to burn HD content to DVD Blanks using the AVCHD format to play back on a blu-ray player then as far as I remember aac audio isn't supported and Freeviews 1080p25 progressive may also be an issue. Removing the AD track only takes a few minutes using TSmuxerGUI as there is no recoding of the mpeg compressed content involved. Basically it's as fast as the hard drives on your PC.

You can only use HD recorded after Nowsters patch was installed anyway.

There is no problem with the remotes, you can change the channel on one of them.

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/using-more-than-1-humax-box-in-the-same-room.23/

I have four Humax boxes in the same room.

Two HDR-FOX-T2's
One HDR1000S
One Foxsat-HDR

EDIT

I remembered correctly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

Haha excellent solution - the only problem is that I only have one remote (the T2 doesn't have one)!

I'm thinking maybe I could hang onto the Foxsat as a read-only device and stream its recordings to the T2 which will become the primary recording and playback device. I could then tape over the IR receiver on the Foxsat (or stick it in a cupboard). Is there a way of adding a quick access shortcut to a network folder on the T2 - i.e. so that I can quickly access the old Foxsat folders from the T2 without navigating through the various storage menu options??

Jeez these remote controls seem to have remarkable 2nd hand value ;0)

Alternatively if I stick one of my unused 500Gb drives in the Foxsat and sell it on eBay I could probably get £50 for it, even without the remote. I could then put its 2Tb drive into the T2 (after I've copied the recordings from it). That certainly appeals to the cost conscious retiree in me...

Jeez these remote controls seem to have remarkable 2nd hand value ;0)

Alternatively if I stick one of my unused 500Gb drives in the Foxsat and sell it on eBay I could probably get £50 for it, even without the remote. I could then put its 2Tb drive into the T2 (after I've copied the recordings from it). That certainly appeals to the cost conscious retiree in me...

It's a new remote. You have a free one on your PC or mobile device. Same for the HDR-FOX-T2.

It sounds like I have a lengthy video processing job to lose the AD tracks on my existing recordings before transferring them to the T2
I think it's only HD recordings that screw about the AD track. I copied a load of .ts files from my foxsat and they 'just play'. Not bothered with sidecar files, but don't get the full transport stuff. Just checked out a few recordings from Foxsat on my T2 and most of them play OK with the correct sound both SD and HD.

I think it's only HD recordings that screw about the AD track. I copied a load of .ts files from my foxsat and they 'just play'. Not bothered with sidecar files, but don't get the full transport stuff. Just checked out a few recordings from Foxsat on my T2 and most of them play OK with the correct sound both SD and HD.

Trev have you got the convertfiles package installed on the Foxsat ?

No. New thread started as I have a query on this and don't want to hijack Ian's thread. I'll post the link in a mo when I have created it. HERE it is.

Last edited:
I've been Googling around but so far the only HDD prep instructions I can find involve copying partitions from the original drive. Since the original drive is dead that's not an option for me. Is it actually possible to use a new HDD for the T2 if the original is not available for copying?
Up to 2TB is plug & play (use the Humax tools to install it), over 2TB see here: https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Very_Large_Hard_Drive

If you look around on here you will find recommendations about choosing a drive. Ensure you have the latest CF installed before doing anything else (including prepping a drive).

So all is good so far...I've put the old Foxsat HDD in an Ubuntu server and am copying the recordings from it. What I'll probably do is leave a copy of them on the Ubuntu box and access them via SMB on the T2. I'll then use the original Foxsat HDD to upgrade the T2.

I now need to remove the AD audio track from the Foxsat recordings, but am having problems using TSMusxerGUI. When I add a .ts file I always get the message "Unsupported Format....Some tracks not recognised. This tracks was ignored. File name: ***.ts"
I then see 3 entries in the "Tracks" list for the selected file: H.264, AC3 and MPEG-Audio.

Firstly, should I be concerned about the error message? Secondly, what do I then need to do to remove the AD track?

I just reminded myself of the first dozen or so posts of that thread and it seems that the AD channel is only a problem if you are streaming HD stuff from the Foxsat, and isn't a problem if you are copying the .ts. As I think IM is planning to copy the files, then the AD channel should not be a problem? If that is the case, I wonder why he is chasing the solution to the 'problem' both here and on AVF? I suppose this might depend on how he intends to play the files from his server? My gut feeling is that he is creating problems for himself that possibly don't actually exist?
Unless of course he is deffo going down this route.
I'm thinking maybe I could hang onto the Foxsat as a read-only device and stream its recordings to the T2
But what do I know?

That's probably what I'm going to do too. Once I have my foxsat up and running I'll probably either stream them to my T2 via mediatomb or automatically copy them and regenerate the sidecars on the T2.

I wonder if IM had nowster's patch running on his Foxsat. If not, the whole discussion about streaming/copying HD and the AD audio 'problem' when streaming is a bit irrelevant anyway isn't it? He has implied in his post on AVF that he is 'decommissioning' his Foxsat.

He's already said he can use them on a PC, so...
Well, hush my mouth. Or more colloquially STFU?

EDIT: On second thoughts, where did he say he can play the Foxsat ts's on his PC? (If you'll pardon the apostrophe.)

Last edited:
Just catching up....so if I play the old foxsat recordings (which are now mounted in an Ubuntu machine) on the T2 (via a mapped Samba drive) I hear the AD track. So I continued my eternal googling and stumbled upon Raydon's "convert files" utility, which appears to do what I want (i.e. allow the "normal" audio track to play, rather than the AD track). The only problem is that it runs on a Foxsat, which I have now cannibalised.

If Raydon's utility can run in batch mode - i.e. if it can be invoked once to "clean up" all of the .ts files on the Foxsat disk, them I do have the option of putting the foxsat HDD back in the foxsat machine, running the utility, then re-copying all of the files. Since the file copy took almost 12 hours that's not a very appealing prospect however (and I have an increasingly impatient wife asking when she will be able to catch up with her viewing). I'm hoping I can maybe find something that I can run from the Ubuntu command line that will process all of the .ts file audio tracks in one hit....

Yes that's in my immediate (and I mean immediate!) to-do list. I still need to do something about the AD track though, as I haven't worked out how to get TSMuxerGUI to do its thing....

Back