BBC ONE HD Regional

prpr

I see in the West region that an unlisted service has popped up in the PAT for what will presumably be the English regions versions of BBC ONE HD.
It's not in the NIT or SDT as yet, so can't have an LCN or name.
Currently the service number across England is 17540. The new one is 17538 and will obviously vary in other regions.
The PIDs are the same for both services currently, not surprisingly.

The change is tomorrow morning for the following transmitter regions:
London
West Midlands
East Midlands
Yorkshire
South Yorkshire
East Yorks & Lincs
Channel Islands

Last edited:
There is no "South Yorks" BBC region
I meant to write "transmitter regions" and did elsewhere but this escaped.
There certainly is a separate Network ID for South Yorkshire transmitters - 12331 vs. 12333.
:p

HD for the lucky 6 - but upscaled SD for many all but London until studio kit is changed. The rest of us have to wait until the end of April.
Which lucky 6? And you then go on to contradict that and say only London get real HD. Can you be more specific please. (Oh how I miss a516digital for news like this.)

I meant to write "transmitter regions" and did elsewhere but this escaped.
There certainly is a separate Network ID for South Yorkshire transmitters - 12331 vs. 12333.
:p
South Yorkshire will be due to the different ITV region (advertising and news) carried cf the BBC at that transmitter/group.
Most likely be due to Sheffield (Crosspool) needing a separate SIPSI to cope with the 'anomaly'. {Similar to Brighton (Whitehawk Hill) for BBC Southeast and the 'different' ITV Meridian regions the two broadcasters want.}

ITV Yorkshire South apparently covers the East Riding of Yorkshire, most of Lincolnshire, central Nottinghamshire, northeastern Derbyshire and northwestern Norfolk (ex Wikipedia).

Wikipedia says ITV Yorkshire North is South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, central and southern North Yorkshire and northern Nottinghamshire.
{Which makes little logical sense when reading it... I'd need to study some maps for counties/areas and transmitter coverage stuff to work it out. :roflmao:}

Of course ITV HD full regional rollout is not, allegedly, co-timed with the BBC change (according to posts on Digital Spy)... so that's some more fun to occur in the future. (Do Channel 4 HD regional ads already match what ITV had on Freeview up 'til today?)

Which lucky 6?
Follow and read the BBC Blog link I provided ?

Follow and read the BBC Blog link I provided ?
I did, it didn't make things any clearer and just waffled about further changes being needed. I receive from Sandy Heath so I'm aware of our local news merging with somewhere else to allow all this. Given they built an entirely new studio for our local news to permit that, I'm amazed that's not HD. Why would the BBC build a new SD studio?

Why are such large changes being made on PSB3 for this anyway? Just renaming the channel from BBC One HD to the relevant name for the region would have been sufficient, why do any more than that? And then everyone's TVs and STBs would have continued working with no intervention.

But we've also been told they're still all upscaled SD for local news except London so what was the point?

That is a different question, but details of a dependency on the current changes is in the document Rodders53 linked to:

1679523195920.png

Attachments

• 1679522819227.png
    1679522819227.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 4
Why are such large changes being made on PSB3 for this anyway?
I understand the intention is that the HiDef service is intended to become the primary one, taking over from StDef with the ability to operate different schedules in each region. It's not just a case of transmitting different content in each region under the same service ID, every separate source has a different service ID so that they can be differentiated not just at the receiver but also in the distribution network. That's how the regional StDef services work, so that is now to be mimicked for the HiDef services.

Not retuning means the receiver would be looking for the old (wrong) service ID.

I understand the intention is that the HiDef service is intended to become the primary one, taking over from StDef with the ability to operate different schedules in each region. It's not just a case of transmitting different content in each region under the same service ID, every separate source has a different service ID so that they can be differentiated not just at the receiver but also in the distribution network. That's how the regional StDef services work, so that is now to be mimicked for the HiDef services.

Not retuning means the receiver would be looking for the old (wrong) service ID.
I can't remember the last time I spotted regional differences in SD programming, do the BBC actually still do that?

That's about internet connected Freeview Play channel numbers. That's completely unrelated to whether the video is upscaled SD or real HD.
The point is that SD is transmitted in a different way to HD. Upscaled SD is transmitted as HD (T2 vs T), so is a significant change.

Why are such large changes being made on PSB3 for this anyway? Just renaming the channel from BBC One HD to the relevant name for the region would have been sufficient,
No it wouldn't. How do you rename one national service to a dozen or so regional ones? It's impossible. That's why the service IDs etc. need to be changed, so they can feed different programmes on HD, like they do on SD. It's not a difficult concept.
why do any more than that?
Because it's necessary to make it work.
And then everyone's TVs and STBs would have continued working with no intervention.
No they wouldn't. Why would they do all this if it was not necessary? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about or how digital TV works. You should just keep quiet.

I can't remember the last time I spotted regional differences in SD programming, do the BBC actually still do that?
What?? Look in any (printed) TV guide. Wales and Scotland regularly have their own schedule, and each region has at least a current affairs slot Inside Out (separate from news programming).

That's the trouble with consuming everything on-line: by only being exposed to information tailored to the individual, individuals have little idea what the general situation is!

1679557527745.png

Because it's necessary to make it work.
No they wouldn't. Why would they do all this if it was not necessary? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about or how digital TV works. You should just keep quiet.
Actually I am aware of all that but I'm playing devil's advocate. By having that level of complexity in the system it forces all this retuning, which the average person is sick of. My parents had some choice words to say when I told them I had to talk them through a retune and then they'd need to put their recordings back.

The point is that SD is transmitted in a different way to HD. Upscaled SD is transmitted as HD (T2 vs T), so is a significant change.
I think you're reading something into the Freeview Play details in the blog that isn't intended. It's about channel number swaps for the online component the way I read it.

Back