BBC Three to return in January 2022 as broadcast channel

Do you have much to do with the younger set? They do not sit down and watch telly, they browse with their mobile devices. Even when the telly is on. Or at a cinema or the theatre (which they treat as an extension of their living room and think nothing of chatting and showing each other their phones, while lighting up the place).

It's our generation who time-shift with PVRs. The generation before us accept what's on at the time. The generation after us use random access in soundbites.
I do all of those but then I self-identify as trans-generational. :D

Does anyone here post on forums? Watch Netflix and Prime Video? Order online? Use a mobile? Whatsapp?

Max Bygraves? Mike and Bernie? Beatles? Rupaul? Apple? Royalty? BBC3? Meh! Too old fashioned for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and those who are down with da kidz can easily stream their BBC3 the same as they do. OK, I'm making generalisations - but those generalisations are based in truth.

Screenshot_20210302-210456.png

Frankly, all those could go apart from BBC 4 HD and BBC News HD. On the Sheffield transmitter, both have already gone.

This does seem to be a race to the bottom; jettison news and intellectual programmes and bring back crass commercial channels. Rather than educate people we pander to viewing figures, titillation, pop culture, everything that is worst in TV. Why not wall to wall soaps and game shows?

It would be better to axe all those local radio stations, the ones that are nothing more than glorified jukeboxes with the odd second of local news.

For all read most. We occasionally watch cbs drama too.

What a bunch of miserable old codgers you lot are. You clearly have forgotten those bygone days when your elders thought you were foolish for enjoying the Goons and Jukebox Jury, the times when they dismissed Monty Python and Top of the Pops as trash and now you have become just like them. Maybe we should also go back to black and white and only sell TV's with valves. TV is meant to provide entertainment for all and not just a minority who will soon be too senile to even remember what they watched a day ago.

It seems that it may not be you coffin dodgers that lose out when BBC3 returns
"The TV channel will be targeted at audiences aged 16 to 34 and will broadcast from 7pm to 4am each day - the same hours as when it closed in 2016.
As a result, CBBC's broadcast hours will revert to closing at 7pm."

So does this mean the Sheffield transmitter may get BBC4 HD and BBC NEWS HD back again?

That report was about COM8 ceasing broadcasting. It won't be coming back. BBC3 HD is going to use the bandwidth on the main BBC HD mux that it originally used, hence CBBC's hours being reduced since it used to and will once again be sharing with BBC3 on Freeview.

People seem to be focussing on entirely Freeview. But I deliberately didn't start this in the Freeview section. This is the return of BBC3 as a linear channel so presumably it will return on Freesat, Sky, and Virgin as well plus any other linear TV systems that might still be around eg. Kingston Vision.

So does this mean the Sheffield transmitter may get BBC4 HD and BBC NEWS HD back again?

Having looked into this a bit more, the issue is on the Sheffield transmitter (line fed 6 multiplex repeater of Emley Moor) both COM7 and COM8 closed for 700MHz clearance. This almost certainly means Sheffield couldn't be fitted into the Single Frequency Networks used to retain COM8 briefly and COM7 to this day. Probably a mutual interference problem, you reach a point where adding more transmitters to an SFN makes its coverage worse not better. DAB has to bear this in mind since all our national DAB muxes are SFNs.

So no, it is highly unlikely Sheffield will get COM7 back. Given the highly uncertain remaining life of COM7 (I've seen dates in 2022 discussed for final shutdown) I can't see why Arqiva would spend time and money trying to improve its coverage. Especially since the stated aim of COM7 and 8 (to drive uptake of DVB-T2 receivers due to many extra HD channels) has been such a dismal failure. Instead they got lots of pointless shopping and timeshift +1 channels.

So how much bandwidth do the shopping, +1, paid and sex channels consume? I assume the sex channels are all online?

Oh dear, now nextdoor has cleared its thicket and felled trees South of me have given a view of the sky, I feel myself being forced back to Freesat.

What a bunch of miserable old codgers you lot are. You clearly have forgotten those bygone days when your elders thought you were foolish for enjoying the Goons and Jukebox Jury, the times when they dismissed Monty Python and Top of the Pops as trash and now you have become just like them. Maybe we should also go back to black and white and only sell TV's with valves. TV is meant to provide entertainment for all and not just a minority who will soon be too senile to even remember what they watched a day ago.
The Goons are still funny in places. The same was true for Monty Python, but far less and fewer funny moments. TOTP seemed to appeal more to my parents than me. It was mostly very bad music, mimed. Sorry, tunes.

Valves and black and white? You kidding? I skipped over vinyl to CD. I moved on quickly to Mp3. What planet do you live on? Have you even heard of classic films, which are timeless? They come in B/W and also colour. There is also music that is timeless, not here today gone tomorrow music. And literature. Science.

You too will soon be old. You will not feel mentally old, probably. I hope your words stick with you and come to haunt you. Some of us oldies are far younger mentally than you think.

Obviously. But like I was saying, the non-MOCs have alternative preferences for content delivery, so there is no issue.

I wasn't aware that Gavin & Stacey originated on BBC3 (the programme seems to have been around too long), but I never watched it originally (too busy in those days) and when I started to follow the recent repeat I only put up with it for a few episodes because of both locations being places I know. I could not build up any love for it at all; however much he might be the popular zeitgeist I think Corden is a waste of space.

What's the difference between Gavin & Stacey and (say) Blackadder? Cleverness. G&S (not Gilbert & Sullivan, I hasten to add) is just an extrapolation of stupid behaviour, while Blackadder taps into historical fact and satirises it (even funnier when you know the historical references). I also found Detectorists quite clever. Monty Python was clever (in places).

I have become much more serious in my TV interests. I want information rather than contentless entertainment. Take the last two movies I have sat through: The Matrix (first time encounter) and The Spy Who Came In From The Cold. The Matrix: meh. Clever CGI and stunning visuals perhaps, but so far fetched as to break my suspension of disbelief. The Spy Who Came In From The Cold: seen it several times, and as a radio dramatisation. Real, and so twisted it takes several viewings to come to full terms with it.

I, too, think Gavin and Stacey is froth. I tried watching The Matrix once but gave up, boring.

Citizen Kane, now, I have watched that so many times. I will be watching Mank soon.

Then, I love some kids' films, like Paddington. And, of course, the short films I have starred in.🤩

the short films I have starred in.🤩
Oh yes, the bits we put up with the rest of the film for, and not unlike the exploits of Wile E Coyote in his never-ending and indestructible attempts to have road runner for dinner (why not just order a Road Runner Meal for One from Acme?).

Citizen Kane, now, I have watched that so many times. I will be watching Mank soon.
Citizen Kane is one of those films where always fall asleep halfway through and wake up at the end to the closing images of the upturned sled. Like Ben-Hur where I fall asleep between the bathing house scene and the finding mother and sister in the leper colony scene.

Citizen Kane is one of those films where always fall asleep halfway through and wake up at the end to the closing images of the upturned sled. Like Ben-Hur where I fall asleep between the bathing house scene and the finding mother and sister in the leper colony scene.
It's worth staying awake. If you are too old, watch it in two parts.

And don't put it in the same category as Ben Hur, please! What next? All the President's Men and The Man who Fell to Earth in the same category?

You seem to be missing my point. Old age has narrowed your mind and you seem to think that only the things you enjoy now are worthy of credit for everyone else. I am in total agreement on Gavin and Stacy, I cannot abide the fake Mr Nice James Corden so steer clear of anything featuring him but It has a huge fan base spanning many ages, The Mighty Boosh I doubt you would get at all but it was the Goons/Monty Python of its generation and continued the tradition of anarchic weird WTF comedy. What you see as classic might be seen as archaic by another generation and no doubt their classics will be seen in the same light by future generations. My point is that the BBC had neglected its younger viewers by only offering them a low budget backwater online channel alienating them from mainstream OTA broadcasts and the return of BBC3 with a larger budget is more than justified to fill that void and may once again create some future comedy classics for all to enjoy from its flock of turkeys by giving the BBC a place to push the boundaries again. Now all we need is a good music show to put things back on track, something that has been lacking for many years now by all the main broadcasters, the dust is thick on Jools Holland and now only pleases the middle aged. We need an Old Grey Whistle Test type show again modernised for the present times that will showcase new music that fails to make the limited pop playlists of mainstream radio stations.

Back