BBC Three to return in January 2022 as broadcast channel

I could never abide the old grey whistle test. Totally pretentious tosh. Good luck for any revival of that, we have enough music channels on radio, why do we need more?

You can always produce popular shows, go for what pleases most people. It is called a race to the bottom. What happens to education when you race to the bottom? You leave out anything difficult and focus on what is easy. Leave your brain behind, it is not needed here.

So it is with TV. Have endless sitcoms, game shows, investigative journalists with a pretty face and little technique, juvenile humour.

The BBC remit is to entertain and educate. The commercial channels can do all the brain anesthesia stuff. Where are foreign films? Classic films? Hardly to be seen! BBC 4 has a foreign series time on Saturdays between 9 and 11, but rarely is that better than English trash, but in another language.

Then there is News, which is generally excellent on BBC and Channel 4 but largely absent otherwise. Sky News has improved since the nutter let it go, itn tends to be weak apart from when producing the Channel 4 news. Where is news on Netflix? Could a totally Netflix model serve news too?

I am sure a commercial channel could serve up what youngsters want to watch, couldn't it? Why does the BBC have to duplicate that?

"I am sure a commercial channel could serve up what youngsters want to watch, couldn't it? Why does the BBC have to duplicate that?"
Maybe because it already caters for unimaginative boring old farts like you :). Yet again you are assuming that only your preferences have any worth whilst wishing that the preferences of everyone else should be denied to further cater for yourself. The BBC already has a channel devoted purely to News, Channel 4 and Film 4 already have quite a lot of foreign drama and movies, yes all the main channels give far to much air time to quiz shows and reality TV because its cheap to make but BBC3 does not, it is providing a format that is lacking elsewhere and if its not to your liking then hard luck because for many it will be.

ut BBC3 does not, it is providing a format that is lacking elsewhere and if its not to your liking then hard luck because for many it will be.
So what exactly is that format? Woke?

I don't expect an answer, just more abuse from you. Clearly, judging by your attitude, your ageism and willingness to jump to conclusions about others, plus your defence of BBC 3, I am coming to the only logical conclusion possible about both you and BBC 3.

And you inability to have any consideration for anyone apart from yourself and holier than thou attitude clearly shows the cut of your jib. As for ageist, I stated elsewhere that I am 61 and clearly if anyone is being ageist it is you whilst I am defending the right for all age groups to be served by the BBC.

Last edited:
They are. If BBC 3 has been such a success as an online service, accessible from mobiles, why bring it back to Freeview? It makes no sense whatsoever, and the media generally agree.

Are you saying old fogeys like you aren't capable of using mobiles, but want to participate in yoof culture?

There used to be science on TV. Bring that back. There is more than enough yoof culture already broadcast, just flick through the radio channels.

You don't counter an on demand services by introducing linear services. Pop culture should also be left to commercial channels, we have enough soaps and sport already!

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as there is sport and other live events there is a need for linear services. How they are delivered is a separate discussion.

Your sport feed may be delayed by a second or two. What is so urgent? Better just find the result and get your life back. 🤣🤣🤣

So getting a low budget online channel and radio for younger viewers, less sport and soaps for the vast majority whilst you get more of what you want on TV is the way forward for the BBC to regain its lost viewers. Yet again you show what a selfish inconsiderate man you are. People do not want incessant news on mainstream TV and the few that do have channels dedicated just for that which also dedicate time for science, people want to be entertained and increasingly in these times want to escape from the reality of their lives and the doom and gloom of the real world. What I am saying is that the BBC should be catering for all ages and tastes equally and not just some crusty old bitter intolerant duffer that thinks his needs are more relevant that everyone elses.

Last edited:
Your sport feed may be delayed by a second or two. What is so urgent? Better just find the result and get your life back. 🤣🤣🤣
If the delivery platform has too much of an inherent lag then it is not a viable candidate for linear TV. For one thing the betting companies would have to tighten up on how soon before a trigger event they accept a wager. Traditional DTT and satellite delivery is in the order of a few seconds. Online is in the order of a minute or two.

(as I post this I am watching the cricket on a two and half hour delay as a 4am start is way too early for me)

If the delivery platform has too much of an inherent lag then it is not a viable candidate for linear TV. For one thing the betting companies would have to tighten up on how soon before a trigger event they accept a wager. Traditional DTT and satellite delivery is in the order of a few seconds. Online is in the order of a minute or two.

(as I post this I am watching the cricket on a two and half hour delay as a 4am start is way too early for me)
I don't think we should run things for the consideration of betting companies, do you?

My point was, if you are a few minutes or hours delayed, so what? Do something else, eg, sleep. There is always going to be some lag, too musch for the betting companies to rely on, as I can witness. It is often several seconds, and Radio4 on Freeview is generally ahead of The DAB and FM broadcasts here.

Sometimes we watch Formula1 on Channel4, and watch it after the race has ended. So what? It isn't going to change anything, we can't will someone to win, can we? Although, judging by some sports fans, you would think we can! :rolling:

Last edited by a moderator:
So getting a low budget online channel and radio for younger viewers, less sport and soaps for the vast majority whilst you get more of what you want on TV is the way forward for the BBC to regain its lost viewers.

Just read what I said.

The BBC getting lost viewers is not a concern, they could dumb everything down and do that.

Yet again you show what a selfish inconsiderate man you are.

You know nothing about me, Sine24!
People do not want incessant news on mainstream TV and the few that do have channels dedicated just for that which also dedicate time for science,

Not so. Hardly any science.
people want to be entertained and increasingly in these times want to escape from the reality of their lives and the doom and gloom of the real world. W

Then they can watch Sky1 and other dumbed down channels.
hat I am saying is that the BBC should be catering for all ages and tastes equally and not just some crusty old bitter intolerant duffer that thinks his needs are more relevant that everyone elses.
They don't even cater for me. Where are the science programs? Nowhere. Where are the arts programs? A few on BBC4. My needs are as relevant as anyone else's.

But you COMPLETELY missed the point. To compete for (good quality) programs on Netflix, a subscrtiption, on demand service, BBC3 was moved online. Move it back again and it no longer competes.

Now you are going on ignore with your alter ego. Goodbye.

BBC3 was moved online.
It wasn't "moved" as it was already online. It was just removed from linear platforms.
Move it back again and it no longer competes.
It isn't being "moved" back. It's being "copied" back. It will still be online. How that makes it "no longer compete" is just non-sensical.

It wasn't "moved" as it was already online. It was just removed from linear platforms.

It isn't being "moved" back. It's being "copied" back. It will still be online. How that makes it "no longer compete" is just non-sensical.
OK, fair enough, they are all online, true, I should have worded it better, mea culpa.

I am not sure whether the main consideration is not saving money, rather than winning over/winning back viewers. The major savings will be when it is all online, and that may not be too long. The only holdup is BH's internet speed. We are all waiting for you to do the honourable thing, BH.:byebye:

DAB was a waste of time and money, too patchy to be useful. In the places you can receive DAB, you can probably listen online. Just replace one patchy service with another.

But so bloody convenient when you have a technophobe as a wife. Simple text EPG without all those kiddie picture tiles like on catchup.
What? Your wife watches BBC3?

The only holdup is BH's internet speed.
My broadband is representative (and possibly better) than many people's broadband. But that's not the issue so far as I am concerned: we currently have a universal provision of TV for the price of a licence - and that includes essential public information and national events. Put everything on-line only and it is no longer a universal provision - it is only available if you can pay for having broadband.

Regardless, that has nothing to do with this argument about BBC3. There are always exceptions, but if we sort-of agree that BBC3 programming is aimed at a younger audience, and agree that younger audiences tend to consume by random access and regard linear schedules as outmoded, then clearly there is little point allocating broadcast bandwidth to it. There is no other logic unless the premises are flawed.

As for the older generation with teenage tastes, presumably they are also capable of consuming on-line.

And what if the younger set can't pay for on-line content? Like I said, there is universal provision, so long as they find out what a TV licence is!

We are all waiting for you to do the honourable thing, BH.:byebye:
What do you call "the honourable thing"? Go StarLink??

I don't think we should run things for the consideration of betting companies, do you?
That was just one reason. Another is that many viewers find even a few seconds intolerable as they like to interact with other viewers on social media as the event is in progress and hate seeing reaction to an incident before they have seen the incident themselves. Or hearing the goal from next door's radio while still watching the build up on their TV.

Back