BBC Three to return in January 2022 as broadcast channel

One concern I have about this is it is more likely when COM7 closes (whenever that is) that BBC4 in HD will be lost from Freeview. Given most of what I watch is on BBC4 that would be a blow.

We had our channels in Sheffield decimated (correct usage) recently, I will be annoyed if they bring back that tripe.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had our channels decimated (correct usage) recently, I will be annoyed if they bring back that tripe.

It reads like a done deal to me. BBC3 programmes online have been very successsul and won a number of awards, and most have been promoted to BBC1 for repeat showings. The broadcast channel returning is a reward for success I'd say.

I quite liked some of the stuff on BBC3. My order of channel watching was probably BBC4, BBC2, C4, BBC3, BBC1 at the time BBC3 was killed.

Good news. 6 years? time flies. I never understood why they ditched it and in doing so it certainly did not show any improvement elsewhere. It was the only competition they had against Channel 4 and spawned some great comedy shows. I have never had BBC4 HD so no complaints here. I suspect it is a desperate attempt by the BBC to justify the licence fee to the younger viewers though and their money is better spent there than on the attention whore gobshite Gordon Ramsey's quiz show.

We had our channels decimated (correct usage) recently, I will be annoyed if they bring back that tripe.
That's because you are a fossil and the BBC realise that pandering to dinosaurs has no long term gain, time to move over grandpa :)

That's because you are a fossil and the BBC realise that pandering to dinosaurs has no long term gain, time to move over grandpa :)
Hey, watch it, these sabre teeth are still sharp. PS Not yet a grandpa.

So does this mean the Sheffield transmitter may get BBC4 HD and BBC NEWS HD back again?

Gordon Ramsey's Bank Balance

Go figure.

That is online now with a reduced budget and not a true reflection of what they were airing when on freeview. Gavin & Stacy, Ideal, The Mighty Boosh, Little Britain, Torchwood to name just a few.
You named more than enough for me. All the things I don't watch. You forgot drag race, I would not watch that either.

One concern I have about this is it is more likely when COM7 closes (whenever that is) that BBC4 in HD will be lost from Freeview. Given most of what I watch is on BBC4 that would be a blow
I'm more concerned that BBC4 might be closed down completely or put online. The BBC seems to want to push some stuff aimed at older viewers/listeners online. I saw some programme on BBC News the other day where one of the founders of Boom Radio claimed Radio 2 has admitted moving content preferrred by older listeners to BBC Sounds (online). Will BBC4 go the same way? And where is the funding coming from?

You named more than enough for me. All the things I don't watch. You forgot drag race, I would not watch that either.
The sort of people those appeal to are the generation who don't feel constrained by broadcast schedules, and therefore it's pointless having a broadcast service for them. Might as well leave it on-line.

The sort of people those appeal to are the generation who don't feel constrained by broadcast schedules, and therefore it's pointless having a broadcast service for them. Might as well leave it on-line.
What a load of b*******. Freeview was not designed solely for the narrow minded geriatric demographic. If anything the programmes they prefer should be online as they are less likely to have be working or have busy schedules and have plenty of free time to view at anytime they choose.

It's all going online anyway as soon as BH has superfast broadband.

plenty of free time to view at anytime they choose.
Do you have much to do with the younger set? They do not sit down and watch telly, they browse with their mobile devices. Even when the telly is on. Or at a cinema or the theatre (which they treat as an extension of their living room and think nothing of chatting and showing each other their phones, while lighting up the place).

It's our generation who time-shift with PVRs. The generation before us accept what's on at the time. The generation after us use random access in soundbites.

And I think the use of anytime is wrong.

View on demand is the norm for younger people, that is well documented. However, some of us old codgers are prone to that, too, if we have the internet speed.

Is it true that tv as we know it may soon go online, all view on demand? A subscription service for the BBC? Looking at Freeview Play, it may already be happening.

Do you have much to do with the younger set? They do not sit down and watch telly, they browse with their mobile devices. Even when the telly is on. Or at a cinema or the theatre (which they treat as an extension of their living room and think nothing of chatting and showing each other their phones, while lighting up the place).

It's our generation who time-shift with PVRs. The generation before us accept what's on at the time. The generation after us use random access in soundbites.
The vast majority of the population are the "younger set" compared to you and many of those that are not are still open to fresh new ideas in entertainment and happy to move with the times. You seem to be assuming that everyone else is a spotty teenager glued to a smartphone and ignoring the many other generations who have never even heard of Max Bygraves and Mike and Bernie Winters let alone would ever want to watch them.

"View on demand is the norm for younger people" That is partly due to so little programming being offered to that age group during peak viewing hours, they have been driven away from live broadcasts.

Back