[boot-settings] Apply settings during boot

That one's a closed beta but I am looking for a couple more people to give it a go before release, as long as they're willing to run fix-disk once or twice.
I am happy to give it a go on a couple of my HDR-FOX T2 boxes, and also HD-FOX T2 boxes if you have a version for them.

I have tried using the subtitle size setting to increase the size of subtitles on HD channels. I have had no success.
Could it be that this setting has not been implemented by Humax as it does not appear on the standard setting menu?

I have tried using the subtitle size setting to increase the size of subtitles on HD channels. I have had no success.
Could it be that this setting has not been implemented by Humax as it does not appear on the standard setting menu?
My suspicion is that subtitle size setting would only come into play if character subtitling were being used instead of graphic objects. As the UK DTT subtitles are bitmap objects then this parameter would not be referenced when processing and displaying the subtitles which (apparently!) takes it's cue for how to display the bitmap on HD channels from the display definition segment (DDS).

In that case I wonder if it would work with (for example) an avi plus srt subtitle file?
You are probably right. If you have an srt file (I have seen this with an mp4) there are options available (OPT button) to make modest changes to the size and position of the subtitles. These type of subtitles aren't great on the HDR-FOX. They are plain white and tend to get lost when the background picture is pale in colour. It is a shame the font colour and background can't be changed (yellow font, black background works well).

You are probably right. If you have an srt file (I have seen this with an mp4) there are options available (OPT button) to make modest changes to the size and position of the subtitles. These type of subtitles aren't great on the HDR-FOX. They are plain white and tend to get lost when the background picture is pale in colour. It is a shame the font colour and background can't be changed (yellow font, black background works well).
That's probably what those options are for then. Probably not worth having them available in this package.

boot-settings 1.0.2 includes a fix for keeping the same startup channel number across retunes.
It will only be able to do that once you've gone into the package settings and saved the configuration again.
(Up until you do that it will work fine except that the startup channel may change following a retune).

When I set the volume to 10 after a reboot you're unable to change the volume. The bar moves up and down but the volume stays the same.
Does anyone else have this issue ?

Check this setting: Menu >> Settings >> Preferences >> Audio >> Digital Audio Output

Is it set to "Multi-channel"? If so, that's your problem.

Changing the audio preference to stereo will cure it - I presume you have no need of multi-channel if you are only using a TV for the sound reproduction.

The reason is that the AAC audio which normally accompanies HiDef broadcasts is always encoded at full volume for maximum quality, and then a volume level setting sent as a code alongside it which is supposed to be interpreted by the final link in the chain to the loudspeaker - in this case the TV. The problem is that quite a few TVs etc do not recognise this volume code and just play the sound stream at full volume.

Setting audio preference to stereo results in the Humax re-encoding the audio stream as PCM, complete with the volume level controlled by the Humax volume setting. All the TV has to do is convert the PCM to analogue and drive the loudspeakers with it. StDef broadcasts have MP2 sound, which gets converted to PCM anyway.

The list of favourite groups can appear in the wrong order in the boot-settings form. In this case I had to select 'Favourite 5', so that 'Fav 4' would be active on boot.
Code:
sqlite> select itemIdx,itemName,itemValue,itemText from TBL_MENUCONFIG where itemName like 'FAV\_CUSTOM\_STR%%' ESCAPE '\';
47|FAV_CUSTOM_STR01|1|Fav 1
48|FAV_CUSTOM_STR02|1|Fav 2
49|FAV_CUSTOM_STR03|1|Fav 3
51|FAV_CUSTOM_STR05|0|Favourite 5
50|FAV_CUSTOM_STR04|1|Fav 4
I suggest adding 'order by itemName' to the sql query in the method 'channel_groups' in the file 'settings.class'.

Last edited:
Any reason the "Screen Resolution" boot-setting is missing a "720p" option? It's available in the Humax settings menu.

Also, it would be handy to have the "Info Display Time" setting exposed in boot-settings if possible.

Any reason the "Screen Resolution" boot-setting is missing a "720p" option? It's available in the Humax settings menu.
Probably an oversight. Here's the fix:
Code:
humax ~ # diff -u /mod/webif/plugin/boot-settings/schema.jim~ /mod/webif/plugin/boot-settings/schema.jim
--- /mod/webif/plugin/boot-settings/schema.jim~
+++ /mod/webif/plugin/boot-settings/schema.jim
@@ -122,7 +122,7 @@
        table MENUCONFIG
        field RESOLUTION
        type Value
-       gui {select 4 576i 3 576p 15 1080i 12 1080p}
+       gui {select 4 576i 3 576p 5 720p 15 1080i 12 1080p}
 }
 {Display Format} {
        table MENUCONFIG
Also, it would be handy to have the "Info Display Time" setting exposed in boot-settings if possible.
Try adding something like this to the end of the file:
Code:
{Info Display Time} {
        table MENUCONFIG
        field INFO_DISPLAY_TIME
        type Value          
        gui {int 1000 10000 5000}
}

Last edited:
Incidentally, my Humax settings for VCR SCART only allows CVBS and S-Video, not RGB.
So the section for VCR SCART ought to be:
gui {select 1 CVBS 3 S-Video}
instead of:
gui {select 1 CVBS 2 RGB}

Also in the Video settings, the 'Display Format' values depend on the 'Screen Ratio' selected, but boot-settings only allows for the first set below:

- with 16:9 (TBL_MENUCONFIG.SCREEN_RATIO=2), the options for TBL_MENUCONFIG.DISPLAY_FORMAT are
Auto - 5
Pillarbox - 1
Zoom - 7

- with 4:3 (TBL_MENUCONFIG.SCREEN_RATIO=1), the options for TBL_MENUCONFIG.DISPLAY_FORMAT are
Auto - 5
Letterbox 16:9 - 0
Letterbox 14:9 - 4
Centre - 3.

Apparently changing 'Screen Ratio' sets 'Display Format' to Auto, the common value of the two sets. Also, if boot-settings forces an invalid combination such as 4:3+Pillarbox, the result is 4:3+Auto. I assume that these are standard values and behaviours, not just on the HD FOX I'm looking at now.

To reflect this without having to know what 'Screen Ratio' is active or whether 'Screen Ratio' has been specified in another boot-settings item, it would be nice to have a boot-settings 'Display Format' that would force both 'Screen Ratio' and 'Display Format', except for Auto, in addition to the plain 'Screen Ratio' option, but that doesn't seem to be possible within the current design.

So, more simply, you can just put all the values in the 'Display Format' menu, annotating the menu text, eg:

Auto, Pillarbox (16:9 only), Zoom (16:9 only), Letterbox 16:9 (4:3 only), Letterbox 14:9 (4:3 only), Centre (4:3 only)

[posting in 2 parts to discover what part of the text the forum thinks is a link]

Not having worked out how to quote spaces in the menu text*, I found that the following line at schema.jim:131 (in the obvious folder that I can't mention because the forum thinks it's a URL) worked:

Code:
        gui {select 5 Auto 1 Pillarbox-16:9_only 7 Zoom-16:9_only 0 Letterbox-16:9-4:3_only 4 Letterbox-14:9-4:3_only 3 Centre-4:3_only}

I realise this is only significant for setups with Jurassic displays!

*Later I confirmed my recollection that "" or {} are valid ways of of quoting in TCL; but quoted menu text isn't shown in the Settings plugin menu as expected - apparently split at 1st whitespace.

Last edited:
Back