[BootHDR] A method of decrypting recordings on the HD-FOX T2

Solved it...

Don't use a command line cp to copy the .ts files, you need to use the UI of the HD!

Files copied in HDR mode using the UI copy command to copy a .ts to another drive can then be uploaded via FTP to a PC and played in Windows Media Player or VLC (although Windows Media Player has no sound... Always something). Anyway I now can recover some space for more recordings and use XviD4PSP to convert to iPad format too ;)

Don't use a command line cp to copy the .ts files, you need to use the UI of the HD!
Correct.

I'm not sure of the capabilities of "HDR Mode", but possibly you can fire up the Web Interface and then download files directly from that without having to do a decrypt-copy first (auto-unprotect is required for HiDef content). You can with a real HDR anyway.

With regard to playing decrypted StDef files, I find Windows Media Centre very nice.

I'm not sure of the capabilities of "HDR Mode", but possibly you can fire up the Web Interface and then download files directly from that without having to do a decrypt-copy first (auto-unprotect is required for HiDef content). You can with a real HDR anyway.
Unfortunately not at the moment. The DLNA (which the web interface download uses) seems to be fussier about looking for a "real" internal hard disk (like the recording) . Has to be the "copy to another volume" trick for decrypting.

I'd like to add my thanks for this mod which I've just started using, I couldn't believe how easy it was to install and how easy it is to switch to HDR mode to download files.

I'd like to add my thanks for this mod which I've just started using, I couldn't believe how easy it was to install and how easy it is to switch to HDR mode to download files.

Me too, thanks. I surprised myself by installing without much problem (for me) - just had to download the HDR upgrade file and put in folder as it wouldn't dload automatically. I made a folder on my Ext3 drive and copied/decrypted files to that, then used Ext2 prog on pc to read and transf to HDD. Blimey, I have been trying to play these files for many months, tried everything before I learned that ALL files on HD-Fox T2 are encrypted. VLC wouldn't play the decrypted files with sound, but Splash Lite does. I can even plug USB drive into TV and watch the files, fantastic.

Can't find another relevant topic (I'm surprised - mods if there is one add this to the existing).

Now we have decrypt-in-place on the HDR, I was musing the situation for HD-FOX users, who have to subvert their boxes into HDR Mode and do OPT+ copy operations to decrypt StDef and HiDef recordings to a virtual drive, rebooting to normal to do anything else.

I suspect the hardware pathways do not exist in the HD-FOX to replicate decrypt-in-place even when switched to HDR Mode, but if they do (it must decrypt to send the playback to a TV) somebody might like to experiment with automatically running HDR Mode in the dead of night, with decrypt-in-place running in the background to clear DRM on the recordings.

Don't get your hopes up, this is blue-sky thinking.

Last edited:
I think Mod: A method of decrypting recordings on the HD-FOX T2 might be the thread you're thinking off?

I think there are a couple of potential reasons the reason decrypt-in-place doesn't work when running the HRD code on the HD. Either the DLNA server code is looking for the internal harddrive in at a lower level than the more basic functionality (that has been fooled by just mounting the usb harddrive to the"hd" mountpoints). Or maybe we simply need to better replicate the files and folder structure of the HDR - I've not looked into it that hard, and its tricky for me not having an HDR for reference. It may even be that recording programs on the HDR creates the database used by the DLNA server and we just have to make it manually or something.

I think Mod: A method of decrypting recordings on the HD-FOX T2 might be the thread you're thinking off?
Yes, i think you're right.

I think there are a couple of potential reasons the reason decrypt-in-place doesn't work when running the HRD code on the HD. Either the DLNA server code is looking for the internal harddrive in at a lower level than the more basic functionality (that has been fooled by just mounting the usb harddrive to the"hd" mountpoints). Or maybe we simply need to better replicate the files and folder structure of the HDR - I've not looked into it that hard, and its tricky for me not having an HDR for reference. It may even be that recording programs on the HDR creates the database used by the DLNA server and we just have to make it manually or something.
Good point - the recordings database used by the server. It seems to me there are definite lines of enquiry for anybody willing and competent to look into it. I'm happy to provide data from the HDR if anybody needs it (and tells me what to do) - best start a private conversation for that.

It may even be that recording programs on the HDR creates the database used by the DLNA server and we just have to make it manually or something.
That database is definitely created by a separate thread, but the location of the database may be fixed so you'd need some tmpfs or loop mounts or the like to make it writeable..

Extract from the Wiki:

BootHDR.

The package also contains a startup script that checks for the existence of a "flag" directory on startup, to allow booting into HDR mode using only the remote control. A directory called "*ModSettings" is created on the root of the usb drive, containing a "flag directory". To boot in HDR mode using the remote simply copy the directory "Trigger-HDRModeNextBoot" to the root of the drive, then reboot. This is also safer than running the script as the box will not fully reboot if it is recording something.

Has anybody got this to work? If so how do you copy to root?

Extract from the Wiki:

BootHDR.

The package also contains a startup script that checks for the existence of a "flag" directory on startup, to allow booting into HDR mode using only the remote control. A directory called "*ModSettings" is created on the root of the usb drive, containing a "flag directory". To boot in HDR mode using the remote simply copy the directory "Trigger-HDRModeNextBoot" to the root of the drive, then reboot. This is also safer than running the script as the box will not fully reboot if it is recording something.

Hi,

any luck?

Cheers

SC

It works for me and I use it a lot (but it should do as I wrote it :)). The idea is you navigate into the *modStettings directory, select the "Trigger-HDRModeNextBoot" folder, press opt+, move/copy, then select the usb drive, and confirm. Next time you reboot, that folder being present there will cause it to boot in HDR mode (and reset the folder back to *modSettings so the following reboot will be back in HD mode).

I have been know to mess things up getting them packaged up, so it may not work for anyone else ;)

I can't get it to work. I seem to be going through the stages you describe but on reboot the Piechart stays blue.
When I choose Opt+ move/copy the screen goes to the blue bar with the USB symbol and the name I gave the HDD with a red button option to move. Is this what you term as 'root' ?

I can't get it to work.....

I've spent quite a long time trying to get it to work too. So far it's been rather frustrating.
Also tried numerous things including manually setting it up.
Even used various versions of the custom files, all to no avail.
I seem to get everything in place and when doing a boothdr via "putty", it does reboot but straight back into standard mode.

I think all of you that have been involved with the mods have done some great work and well done. Now I just want it to work.

I've spent some time with this on my HD today. I had to install the wget package to get the automatic download of the HDR firmware to work, but after that it worked just as described.

@Climber - try running the hdrmode diagnostic in normal mode and after running the bootHDRmode command and post the results here - we may be able to tell what's wrong from that. (just diag hdrmode from the shell prompt via telnet)

(@drutt, I'd suggest making wget a dependency and explicitly using /mod/bin/wget in the install script.)

I've spent some time with this on my HD today. I had to install the wget package to get the automatic download of the HDR firmware to work, but after that it worked just as described.

@Climber - try running the hdrmode diagnostic in normal mode and after running the bootHDRmode command and post the results here - we may be able to tell what's wrong from that. (just diag hdrmode from the shell prompt via telnet)

(@drutt, I'd suggest making wget a dependency and explicitly using /mod/bin/wget in the install script.)
Firstly, thanks for the help. It's very much appreciated.

I installed HD modified software to the box via stick and connected the usb drive before restarting.

Dowloaded the full web interface - Added pkgtools, wget and samba.

I then followed the instructions, as per the wiki "Decrypt recordings on the HD-FOX T2", choosing the manual installation, exactly as written.

Then as suggested run the first diag test:

Running: hdrmode
----------------------------
Running: ls -l /mod
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Nov 18 21:40 /mod -> mnt/hd2/mod
Running: ls -l /mod/HDRfs
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 23 18:04 lib
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 23 18:04 mnt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Dec 23 11:04 mod -> mnt/hd2/mod
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 23 18:05 usr
Running: df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 15.2M 15.2M 0 100% /
tmpfs 61.0M 140.0K 60.9M 0% /tmp
tmpfs 61.0M 0 61.0M 0% /media
/dev/mtdblock1 2.0M 532.0K 1.5M 26% /var/lib/humaxtv
/dev/mtdblock2 2.0M 1.2M 812.0K 60% /var/lib/humaxtv_backup
/dev/sda1 1.8T 638.1G 1.1T 37% /media/drive1
/dev/sda1 1.8T 638.1G 1.1T 37% /media/virtual

I then run "bootHDRmode via telnet. (The Humax rebooted into normal mode)

Run the second diag:

Running: hdrmode
Running: ls -l /mod
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Nov 18 21:40 /mod -> mnt/hd2/mod
Running: ls -l /mod/HDRfs
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 23 18:04 lib
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 23 18:04 mnt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Dec 23 11:04 mod -> mnt/hd2/mod
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 23 18:05 usr
Running: df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 15.2M 15.2M 0 100% /
tmpfs 61.0M 84.0K 60.9M 0% /tmp
tmpfs 61.0M 0 61.0M 0% /media
/dev/mtdblock1 2.0M 456.0K 1.6M 22% /var/lib/humaxtv
/dev/mtdblock2 2.0M 1.2M 812.0K 60% /var/lib/humaxtv_backup
/dev/sda1 1.8T 638.1G 1.1T 37% /media/drive1
/dev/sda1 1.8T 638.1G 1.1T 37% /media/virtual

I know there is differences in the diag outputs, but I confess I do not have a clue in trying to decipher any of it.

Ok, something is wrong with your HDR environment, I suggest you try these commands in sequence (the humax# bit is the prompt you see when connected in via telnet)

Code:
humax# rm -rf /mod/HDRfs
humax# opkg install wget
humax# installHDRfs

Then try bootHDRmode again.

Ok, something is wrong with your HDR environment, I suggest you try these commands in sequence (the humax# bit is the prompt you see when connected in via telnet)

Code:
humax# rm -rf /mod/HDRfs
humax# opkg install wget
humax# installHDRfs

Then try bootHDRmode again.

I get this response via telnet:
humax# rm -rf /mod/HDRfs
humax#
humax# opkg install wget
Package wget (1.12) installed in root is up to date.
humax#
humax# installHDRfs
-/bin/sh: installHDRfs: not found

I had already installed wget.
Tried bootHDRmode, via telnet and still no joy.

I'm not sure if this could be another clue. After trying a few various ways of installing, the other day. I got this readout from the auto install (I think)

Opening hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf, 19129839 bytes.

Blocks: 621
Model: 4
System ID: 80bc.7e00

x 1.hdfbin-1-000000.raw (16175104 bytes)
Skipping file 2
Skipping file 3
Processed in: 19.17s

dir_scan: failed to open directory /mod/HDRfs, because File exists

created 0 files
created 0 directories
created 0 symlinks
created 0 devices
created 0 fifos
HDR filesystem extracted...
Cleaning up temp files...
Configuring humidify.