Box cuts out!

Nick 985

I have a PVR 4000T which is about 3 years old. After switching on this morning, every few minutes the output from the box appears to cut out - the screen goes black and the sound cuts off - just for two or three seconds. Then everything goes back to normal for another few minutes before repeating the process. The blue light stays on while the screen goes black, which indicates that it is not a power problem (faulty adaptor etc.) but it's as thought there is a power interruption. I've tried the usual switching off, disconnecting the power cable and restarting, all to no effect. If I bypass the box, the TV works fine through the aerial input so must be a box problem. Incidentally, after the screen blacks out, if I rewind past it and replay the same section, there is no blacking out, so it appears that the box is recording the program ok! Any ideas?

How odd, I have had the exact same thing happening today and I have an Aura, rewinding a live broadcast also shows no loss of pic or sound at the relevant point, powered off everything, tried roof and loft aerial, checked if transmitter was having issues, unplugged and replaced all leads and still happening.

Sounds like an HDMI authentication this to me.
I wondered that but it seems not to effect all channels and now it has got worse now I am getting just a black screen all the time for Multiplex PSB2 channels with no message just a blank screen. On PSB3 all HD channels give not receiving or too weak message but PSB1 are all working fine as are Com4 and Com5 channels with just some freezing and slight pixilation every now and again on Com6 channels.

Last edited:
For "this" read "thing", I didn't notice the typo/autocorrect.
I spoke too soon. I am getting intermittent black screen on PSB2 channels again but this time now I am getting nothing but a constant black screen for PSB1(BBC1,2.3.4 SD) channels all HD versions are fine. Could an outside source affect only certain multiplexes leaving others ok ? . My local transmitter is still not reporting any issues. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: I just checked before clicking "post reply" and everything is working again???????? wtf is going on???????.

I discovered that after recording a program, playback works with no problem! Last thing tonight, I tried watching live TV again through the box and now it seems to be ok again, but after trog's comment above, I will reserve judgement for a couple of days!

I discovered that after recording a program, playback works with no problem! Last thing tonight, I tried watching live TV again through the box and now it seems to be ok again, but after trog's comment above, I will reserve judgement for a couple of days!
I just checked and mine also appears to be ok again now lets see if it reoccurs tomorrow. If it happens again check if it affects all channels please, for me it is just these that were affected today and not BBC1 BBC2 or any HD channels etc.

Multiplex PSB2​

I just checked and mine also appears to be ok again now lets see if it reoccurs tomorrow. If it happens again check if it affects all channels please, for me it is just these that were affected today and not BBC1 BBC2 or any HD channels etc.

Multiplex PSB2​

Errmmm No-one gets STV UTV and English ITV from the same transmitter. Transmitter is often relevant wrt PLayout source, C&M equipment set (regionality) so naming that is often useful if not essential in many cases.

There's a thread on AVforums with a similar complaint wrt ITV1 and ITV2 only (atm) and doesn't affect their -T2.

Do check if https://restoretv.uk/ has any relevant info for your location.

Note that the transmitter fault reporting systems (BBC and RTIS) are both the same data and really only cover the BBC services or when all services are affected.

I was indeed watching BBC last night when I said it was working ok, but this morning the problem came back on ITV1. I tried HD which works ok (I haven't gone through all the channels that trog has, but I'll take his word for it!), and BBC is fine. I suppose I can just watch ITV on HD and all should be ok, but it would be nice to know if there is a fix for this problem - and if anybody else has experienced it other that trog and myself.

Checked out the "restoretv.uk" site which Rodders mentioned and it has some useful info. They identify "interference" problems, which I'm not sure our issue is, but it's interesting to hear of other problems.

it would be nice to know if there is a fix for this problem - and if anybody else has experienced it other that trog and myself.
Lots of people on several forums have reported this problem and it has also been affecting the Aura. A user over on MyHumax.org has said "I have been in contact with Humax Technical Support and I have been informed that all Humax Aura Users in the UK are experiencing this problem, Humax Technical Support are incontact with ITV to try and rectify this problem."

I was indeed watching BBC last night when I said it was working ok, but this morning the problem came back on ITV1. I tried HD which works ok (I haven't gone through all the channels that trog has, but I'll take his word for it!), and BBC is fine. I suppose I can just watch ITV on HD and all should be ok, but it would be nice to know if there is a fix for this problem - and if anybody else has experienced it other that trog and myself.
Turned on at 11am this morning and it is happening again here too.

Lots of people on several forums have reported this problem and it has also been affecting the Aura. A user over on MyHumax.org has said "I have been in contact with Humax Technical Support and I have been informed that all Humax Aura Users in the UK are experiencing this problem, Humax Technical Support are incontact with ITV to try and rectify this problem."
That is interesting, you mention ITV but are they getting the issue on all Multiplex PSB2 channels as I am?

Errmmm No-one gets STV UTV and English ITV from the same transmitter. Transmitter is often relevant wrt PLayout source, C&M equipment set (regionality) so naming that is often useful if not essential in many cases.

There's a thread on AVforums with a similar complaint wrt ITV1 and ITV2 only (atm) and doesn't affect their -T2.

Do check if https://restoretv.uk/ has any relevant info for your location.

Note that the transmitter fault reporting systems (BBC and RTIS) are both the same data and really only cover the BBC services or when all services are affected.

I checked the transmitter fault reporting systems on a few sites several times but no works in progress or faults reported and I also read the posts from users to see if anyone else was having the same issue but none were, restoretv mentions upgrades to mobile masts as a possible cause which was something I was considering as there is one not to far away from me, would that be capable of just affecting one Multiplex? Just for the record my signal strength is 92% with 100% quality.

Back