Box cuts out!

Odd that a nationwide issue has only been reported by 2 people here.
Not especially.
How many watch and record SD channels?
I certainly avoid doing so.

The 'other side' forum is reporting that Humax have identified an issue with Aura and that mux / transport streams and are testing a fix now... (but from a new user of that site).

That Aura issue may or may not be the same for 4000/5000 boxes? My advice is to talk to Humax Support!

Not especially.
i do and fair number of other people I suspect. What I don't do very much is watch ITV channels live but I did see the intermittent blank screen problem on my Aura when I chose to watch the mid-week FA Cup match live for a few minutes.

Most of the programmes that are of interest to me are on SD only channels. When it comes to BBC/ITV/4/5 I usually record in SD in case I feel like keeping them (minus ads) for future viewings. HiDef is a difficult beast to use in this way, at least for me. That's assuming i can get the HiDef off the box in the first place.

Not especially.

The 'other side' forum is reporting that Humax have identified an issue with Aura and that mux / transport streams and are testing a fix now... (but from a new user of that site).

That Aura issue may or may not be the same for 4000/5000 boxes? My advice is to talk to Humax Support!
I would say the vast majority as many of the channels affected on that Multiplex are SD only. Some hopeful news there though thanks.

Actually, having been 'in the game' where 't great unwashed public called in to report transmitter faults from the analogue days - many will not report such issues due to the likely belief it's 'at their end' and was OK leaving us.

Add in it only seems to affect a very few receivers (Aura and --- maybe, just maybe the 4000/5000) then the numbers affected are lower...
Not many would routinely choose to watch live TV via a terrestrial PVR, when the TV tuner is available? I often took the -T2 in a caravan but used the TV (SD only) tuner for the news.
Add into the mix that, allegedly only an issue since Tuesday 6th Feb, and I'm not at all surprised at the very low number of reports I can find on the Forums I frequent...

EDIT: Could the blanking be related to the recent lack of live subtitles issue on the same channels on Auras that @MartinLiddle remarked on in DS forums?

Last edited:
I just tried pausing live TV and skipping back a couple of minutes on an affected channel as a possible work around but the next black screen just puts it back to live TV.

Actually, having been 'in the game' where 't great unwashed public called in to report transmitter faults from the analogue days - many will not report such issues due to the likely belief it's 'at their end' and was OK leaving us.

Add in it only seems to affect a very few receivers (Aura and --- maybe, just maybe the 4000/5000) then the numbers affected are lower...
Not many would routinely choose to watch live TV via a terrestrial PVR, when the TV tuner is available? I often took the -T2 in a caravan but used the TV (SD only) tuner for the news.
Add into the mix that, allegedly only an issue since Tuesday 6th Feb, and I'm not at all surprised at the very low number of reports I can find on the Forums I frequent...
Wow! I must be in the minority then, I doubt that I have used my TV tuner to watch anything in the last 2 years.

Not many would routinely choose to watch live TV via a terrestrial PVR, when the TV tuner is available?
Count me as one, and the same goes for several people I know personally. It's much more convenient to do that than keep switching to HDMI to schedule a recording, and it adds live pause etc. We're not of a generation who automatically flock to streaming services.

Again, you're making assumptions based on your own habits. I'm not claiming to be in a majority, all I'm saying is you can't make assumptions.

Count me as one, and the same goes for several people I know personally. It's much more convenient to do that than keep switching to HDMI to schedule a recording, and it adds live pause etc.

Again, you're making assumptions based on your own habits. I'm not claiming to be in a majority, all I'm saying is you can't make assumptions.
My previous TV did not even have a tuner :). It was an odd beast made by Hitachi, at the time it was the thinnest TV on the market achieved by having the tuner in a separate box. Very high spec for the time and cost over £1000 with good reviews but did not catch on with the public. Richer Sounds managed to get hold of a batch of just the screens at a good price and I just used my T2 as the tuner. It did me well for many years until I replaced it with my present Samsung.

Wow! I must be in the minority then, I doubt that I have used my TV tuner to watch anything in the last 2 years.
Think of the leccy you can save! TBF I watch freesat mostly as there are more HD channels available, so sometimes watch that 'live'.

I'm just trying to partially explain why there are so few reports on here, 'tother place, AVF, DS and even MSE forums.

Think of the leccy you can save! TBF I watch freesat mostly as there are more HD channels available, so sometimes watch that 'live'.

I'm just trying to partially explain why there are so few reports on here, 'tother place, AVF, DS and even MSE forums.
Luckily thanks to MSE i am only paying £36 per month and that includes my gas :) . I get what you are saying but 2 still seems low and I would have expected a least a couple of newbies looking for a cure stumbling onto this site.

+3 on AVF (so far)
+9 on the "other place"
0 on DS and MSE that I can find.

Around 14 reports.

Some may be duplicate peeps.
Others may search for the issue, see the 'fix is on the way' so not post on any site?

As far as I can tell I haven't seen this problem on the 5000T or the Aura, which is why I haven't reported it.

Unlikely to be the same problem - but similar. I've had problems with some UKTV channels, the 5000T and my (bottom of the range) Bush TV. The Humax keeps sending a change of aspect ratio (maybe) to the TV causing it to blank for a brief time. These events occur in the same place if I rewind. Connect the Humax to a different TV or use the RCA connectors instead of HDMI and there were hardly any blanking events.(Ditto my other Humaxes). Last night on Dave there were some odd occurrences. The picture went into rapid on/off cycles - perhaps ten, twice whilst I was watching either QI or HIGNFY.

Still no issues for me today but a couple of people on the other site are saying that they still are having them.

Back