Box Dying - Might move ( back :) ) to MythTV - EIT Season-Episode Question

exH

Sure this is a very cheeky question, The Humax Fox-T2 rocks but I might soon be offering mine to the community. It will be a sad day. Still the nicest smoothest TV Guide interface I have.

Before Humax I was running MythTV, and it was good, if not a bit lame on the interface. I fired one up a few months ago and have it running on an old laptop and it's almost an ideal replacement for a recording device. The only problem I have now is that reading series / episode data from EIT usually fails to get the series. Recordings are S0E12 etc no mantter what series it is. On a havdful of programmes it actually works???

So my cheeky question, what happens under the T2 hood that gets it right?.. it is ALL in the EIT data right? If I know this I might get onto the MythTV source code and learn how to fix it.

Wondering

exH

Any particular reason(s) for not simply replacing the FOX with a newer PVR (Aura, Manhattan)?

The Humax Fox-T2 rocks but I might soon be offering mine to the community. It will be a sad day. Still the nicest smoothest TV Guide interface I have.
So keep it.

It seems nobody is maintaining UK EIT, and the mode is to head off for online grabbers, which themselves have put up paywalls.
If it's useful to you, pay for it. Even with voluntary labour, there are costs involved.

Any particular reason(s) for not simply replacing the FOX with a newer PVR (Aura, Manhattan)?

TBH I just don't like them. I almost can't remember why but what I saw was more clunky and compared to T2 with all your CF functionality I don't think they compare well.

So keep it.
It is dying, physically.

If it's useful to you, pay for it. Even with voluntary labour, there are costs involved.
It's not something I'm against but the best offering has a trial period which failed to grab a lot of shows properly. Even then there are ways to blend EIT with grabbers, and that didn't fix the issue.

At the end of the day, if ALL the information is in the EIT why do I need a third party resource that may or may not work?

As an alternative to MythTV, you could try Kodi.tv, either by itself or via LibreELEC.tv or OSMC.tv

Last edited:
At the end of the day, if ALL the information is in the EIT why do I need a third party resource that may or may not work?
Because the data is encoded, and (in principle) the method for decoding it is subject to licensing.

The only problem I have now is that reading series / episode data from EIT usually fails to get the series. Recordings are S0E12 etc no mantter what series it is. On a havdful of programmes it actually works???

So my cheeky question, what happens under the T2 hood that gets it right?.. it is ALL in the EIT data right?
It's all in the EIT short_event_descriptor text in a free format - and the broadcasters just make it up as they see fit. There are no specific defintions for series/episode/total episodes.
In the web interface, the fields are extracted using regular expressions, with varying degrees of success - see /mod/webif/lib/ts.class around line 700 for details - method extract_numbers().

It's all in the EIT short_event_descriptor text in a free format - and the broadcasters just make it up as they see fit. There are no specific defintions for series/episode/total episodes.
In the web interface, the fields are extracted using regular expressions, with varying degrees of success - see /mod/webif/lib/ts.class around line 700 for details - method extract_numbers().
Thanks I'll check that out . As though T2 seems to succeed with series data where MythTV fails I feel there's more to it and @Black Hole 's comment about encryption suggests is there may be more robust data not in plain text?

As an alternative to MythTV, you could try Kodi.tv, either by itself or via LibreELEC.tv or OSMC.tv
Thanks, I use Kodi as MythTV frontend on my Sony Android TV.

I wasn't aware there were any other solid multi-tuner options to install on the laptop. I have however always liked MythTV's recording setup. They'll have to go some way to impress, lets's see

Thanks, I use Kodi as MythTV frontend on my Sony Android TV.

I wasn't aware there were any other solid multi-tuner options to install on the laptop. I have however always liked MythTV's recording setup. They'll have to go some way to impress, lets's see
That's interesting.
You could try using LibreELEC on a backend device with tvheadend server. Install it with tuners using EIT etc. Then point the old frontend to the new backend. Try some timer recordings. It's improved since the last time I tried it, I don't think it's as fluid or easy to use as the Humax, but it's not bad. Maybe it just takes a bit of getting use to.

I think it is generally taken that encryption involves more than an unchanging substitution table. Hence Enigma is a cypher but Morse is a code.

Back