Bug: SCART output unexpectedly switches to RGB mode

I have the audio outputs from my Hummy, DVD Player, Media PC and TV all wired into my stereo amp. In practice, I usually rely on the TV speakers for everyday speech-based programmes, but use the amp for music.

It seems to me most tv manufactures have decided that all we really want is super thin sets to hang on the wall, Why ? It's the typical marketing technique of not giving us what we need but what they think we should need, Apple are great at this as were Microsoft in the past, creating demand were none existed previously. The result i s we have to buy "extra" boxes", more profit for them, if we want decent sound. To be fair CRT sets were a damn sight dearer than their flat screens and had pretty crap sound in the main, maybe a better bass end. Lets face no TV has ever been produced that gave good stereo,it would have to be least 8 foot wide !
Considering a 42 " LG can be bought for about £ 300 another £150 spent updating the sound, a 2.1 or a bar system is not out of the question. Personally I prefer this option, I pay for my Telly and then choose the sound system that I require.

It seems to me most tv manufactures have decided that all we really want is super thin sets to hang on the wall

At risk of repeating myself :)

Even given this decision by TV makers, I still can't reason why they don't include Dolby surround capability with external speaker conenctions - the TV can still be as thin as they want it to be!

You might find the power supply requirements to run decent speakers a little stringent! At the moment they can get away with simple switch-mode power supplies - for decent audio performance a much smoother supply would be required, big and heavy.

Black Hole - spot on , also audio amps need quite beefy heatsinks due to power etc . these don't fit in the slim line TV's we are used to. External speakers, amps has always been the preferred option even in CRT days.

Black Hole - spot on , also audio amps need quite beefy heatsinks due to power etc . these don't fit in the slim line TV's we are used to. External speakers, amps has always been the preferred option even in CRT days.

I beg to differ. The modern d-class amplifiers sound pretty good, don't give out a lot of heat and are reasonably small and compact:-

https://www.coldamp.com/store/sonora-combo-2s300.html

I built myself an amp using the previous generation of these (two separate amps and a separate power supply), with 6-way selectable input switch and volume on the front, powering a pair of hi-fi bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. Now, going back to normal TV audio is awful and our flat screen is almost too painful to bear. Even the old CRT which I used to think was OK is hard to listen to - it's at my Mum's house now.

My recommendation would be to use two external speakers of good quality, a hi-fi amp and take the audio from the line-out from the various sources. My amp is manual, but most modern off-the-shelf ones come with remotes which can possibly be used with the Humax remote. Get a telly which can also be controlled by the remote and you can do it all from one (Humax) remote.

Sorry, off-topic too!!

There are audio selector switches with a remote control which you can add to your hi-fi amp such as this one:-

http://www.audiospares.com/product.php?productid=1804

I am sure I found one with a volume control too which used the tape loop connectors on the amp but can't find it now. But of course you would not want to add any extra electronics into the signal path when listening to your prime audio sources such as record deck or CD through your carefully selected and set up hi fi system.

....but you are putting up with very inferior video soft, misregistration, artfacts on edges, moire patterning etc quite frankly unwatchable , sorry just don't understand your argument.

Are you claiming that all TV was unwatchable prior to 1998, when the first digital TV services became available in the UK? I never had any issues with picture quality prior to that date, when *all* broadcast TV was effectively "CVBS".

Only if you're talking about true "hi-fi". If you just want "good sound quality" then a small amp (like a TDA2822 or something similar) connected to a pair of decent speakers will work. TV's built-in speakers generally don't even approach "good sound quality".

It's the speakers that make the biggest difference - a good amp is just the icing on the cake, and is not necessary for most people. Hi-fi enthusiasts excluded.

I'm inclined to agree, it shouldn't be too difficult to output 10 or 20 watts to an external speaker jack (contrary to what I said before). However, the cubic capacity of a flat-panel TV will never be adequate for decent internal speakers.

Back