Can't access media menu -- "No channels are currently available"

cvdcamilleri

Hi, I have got a humax box with some great recorded stuff on it and I no longer have a satellite dish.

When I use it, I am am greeted with "NOTICE: No channels are currently available" which then forces me into the menu.
Is there a way to access the media menu WITHOUT a satellite connection?

It has Raydon's custom firmware installed (v4.1.3).

Everything else failing, if you have HD recordings and they are unencrypted (through the nowster patch) you can access the recordings from other devices via either SMB or DLNA/UPnP, the latter through MediaTomb.

The HDR-FOX is similar - if you can't perform an initial tune to set up even one channel, the standard menus refuse to cooperate (although it doesn't matter if there is no signal later). Accessing (unencrypted) recordings via network access mediated by custom firmware, or removing the HDD to access directly elsewhere, seem to be your only options.

What about the custom firmware stuff?
Channel editor ETC
And I can use the recordings over the network, but I'd like to use the actual box.

There's nothing in the custom firmware to make the Foxsat play a recording except by using the menus by simulated remote control input (if that's not a HDR-FOX-only CF thing). If the menus aren't working - end of story.

There's nothing in the custom firmware to make the Foxsat play a recording except by using the menus by simulated remote control input (if that's not a HDR-FOX-only CF thing). If the menus aren't working - end of story.
Would it work if he took the PVR to a friend that has a working Freesat setup, tune the box there, take it back home and not retune at home? Or does the box always need at least one live channel to work properly?

I don't know. The HDR-FOX would work if you did that (unless and until it had a "bad hair day" and returned to the installation wizard), but the OP sounds like the Foxsat won't work unless it is actually receiving something.

THE foxsat-hdr contacts the home transponder every night to keep the channel data base up to date. IT ALSO does this every time you press the guide button. ths downloads a whole new guide. You can avoid this as every transponder carries the whole epg in a round robin by displaying the cached epg by pressing schedule and then red. basically you need a dish. ANY REASON YOU CAN'T SIMPLY ADD A SMALL DISH AT GROUND LEVEL. unlike a aerial a dish will work fine at ground level if it has liner of sight to 28.2E. a small caravan dish should work ok.

Back