Chris Sadowski

I've just bought a FVP-4000t and have attached a small external hard drive, which I've formatted from the Humax and then transferred some mp4 files into the recordings folder, but when I switch on my Humax, it can't seem to find any content. I'd be very grateful if anyone has any ideas as to how I can resolve this.

I've just bought a FVP-4000t and have attached a small external hard drive, which I've formatted from the Humax and then transferred some mp4 files into the recordings folder, but when I switch on my Humax, it can't seem to find any content. I'd be very grateful if anyone has any ideas as to how I can resolve this.
Are you using the rear USB or the side USB?
My Humax only recognises the files when the drive is plugged into the side.

Are you using the rear USB or the side USB?
My Humax only recognises the files when the drive is plugged into the side.

Thanks for the reply, treboeth, but it hasn't worked. I've managed to transfer a file from the internal memory to the external HD and can play that directly, but the Humax still doesn't see the other files in the folder.

Will have to wait for a more experienced member sorry.
I play files mainly over my wifi network on the FVP, I just find it easier than transferring the files(not always successful).
Still learning as i have only had the FVP a month or so.

Unfortunately the more experienced members stick with our HDR-FOXes like glue! Sorry, haven't got one, can't help other than offer a few suggestions:

If, as you say, when you copy a recording to the drive it shows up and plays correctly, there is obviously no fundamental problem with disk accesses. There should also be no difference between USB ports (except perhaps minor differences in power sourcing capability).

When it comes to listing/playing externally-sourced media files, you need to consider compatibility and DRM (digital rights management). The .mp4 file is a "container format" which multiplexes several different streams (video, audio, alternative audio, subtitles, whatever) into one package, by a specific algorithm unique to the container type. "MP4" says little to nothing about what the video and audio formats are inside the file, what it does say is how they are to be extracted.

Thus, although the FVP-4000T may be able to understand MP4 in general, it may have peeked inside, decided it is incapable of presenting the content, and declined to list the file as an indication the content is incompatible or protected. The same applies to other container formats, eg MKV. There will be other container formats the unit can't understand at all, even if the content is in compatible streams.

On a PC, check the file properties using MediaInfo or something like that. The maximum likelihood of compatibility is if the video and audio streams are a combination of formats used in broadcasting: eg H.264+AAC.

The situation may improve as the FVP-4000T matures. The HDR-FOX firmware went through a number of iterations over several years before Humax got it reasonably OK - see Things Every... (click) section 1 for a bit of a bug history for HDR-FOX. We built up our encyclopaedic knowledge of the HDR-FOX by investigating, sharing, and documenting information like this; you may find "FVP-4000T video file compatibility" a worthwhile Internet search term.

Whatever, if the unit is not fit for purpose (whether by a fault or by design), you have the option to return it to where you got it from (if the purpose you intend was advertised as being served, or you specifically asked and were assured it would suit).

Last edited:
BH is right. Most members are HDR-FOX users. Some, like me, have a 2000T. Knowledge of the 4000T is a bit thin.
I vaguely recollect reading somewhere that the 4000T records programmes to a folder (recording folder?), but expects "external" media to be placed in a different folder. I've had a quick look on the other forum - https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/old-usb-drive-recordings-on-new-humax - (last post on the page) not sure if that helps. I would try placing the mp4 files either at the top level on the USB drive or in a folder called "Media" and see if that makes them visible.

Amusing the way they have to skirt around the existence of our CF - they like it but they can't talk about it!

Myhumax.org is probably the best place for FVP-4000T queries for the reasons mentioned above. One problem with this model, it seems to me, is that with every iteration of the firmware they fix a couple of things and break something else.
I don't know why myhumax.org moderators are so bothered about the custom firmware on the HDR-FOX. They will tolerate mention of it in relation to fixing disk and filesystem errors but don't post a link or mention decryption. I wondered in the past if the forum was affiliated to Humax in some way?

I wondered in the past if the forum was affiliated to Humax in some way?
It has never been affiliated to Humax (as far as I know) but Barry has always had contacts at Humax, which may influence his views.

I run a mailing list for users of finite element software and we are fortunate to have the active involvement of the vendor; developers will pop up in discussions from time to time to explain a new feature or to acknowledge a bug. To maintain that involvement we are very careful to stamp on any discussion about using "pirate" copies of the software.

Chris, it's much more complicated than it need be, but not difficult when you know how.
You can copy files from your Humax FVP-4000T to an external USB drive (or memory stick), but they don't show up from the FVP-4000T recordings tab as you've discovered .... however if you then connect your external drive to a laptop or PC you should find the transferred programmes in the folder labelled .recordings

Now copy the files into another folder on the HD (I've got several folders with labels such as "Kids", "Films", etc) and you should be able to now see and play the files when the external HDD is reconnected to your Hummy!!

It's clumsy & bizarre ... but works for me!

Chris, it's much more complicated than it need be, but not difficult when you know how.
Useful. But, if I understood Chris's question, it would seem that he's trying to transfer an mp4 file generated somewhere else other than the Hummy. You appear to be referring to saving programmes, presumably the Humax set of files (.ts, .hjm, .nts), to the external drive - and then relocating these files into another folder.
Are you saying that if you were to (somehow) download an mp4 from YouTube to your PC, and then transfer it to a folder (eg. YT) on your USB HDD, and then connect the USB HDD to the Hummy, the mp4 would be visible?

Useful. But, if I understood Chris's question, it would seem that he's trying to transfer an mp4 file generated somewhere else other than the Hummy. You appear to be referring to saving programmes, presumably the Humax set of files (.ts, .hjm, .nts), to the external drive - and then relocating these files into another folder.
Are you saying that if you were to (somehow) download an mp4 from YouTube to your PC, and then transfer it to a folder (eg. YT) on your USB HDD, and then connect the USB HDD to the Hummy, the mp4 would be visible?

Yes - it works

Thank you all for your suggestions and I'm happy to report a successful outcome. I did what you suggested and moved the files to a new 'Videos' file and I can now view them on my Humax. They show up individually, rather than as a folder, but that's irrelevant. Thanks once again to everyone who replied. :)

Back