[CFW 2.19/1.03.06] Custom firmware for version 1.03.06

Factory reset saves recorded content, but otherwise returns the system config to "as delivered" - so it starts with a retune and all your menu settings will need to be re-established (worth checking what they are before you do the reset). The CF will preserve your schedule.

Does a factory reset remove the custom firmware? (apologies if this is a dumba**e question...)

No, it forces re-tune (losing recording schedule and favourites) and resets the menus in Menu >> Settings, obviously the recording schedule and favourites can be restored, in my case completely automatically

That's why I said "system config" rather than just "system" - with the intention of conveying that the firmware is not involved.

Or perhaps the data format has changed and old data made the database slow to interrogate.
The format's the same as far as I can tell, and the epg utility that I wrote can still parse it. The format is actually defined by Freeview and not Humax. However, it seems that something is being fixed by a factory reset - I will have to try and find out what since I still have a laggy EPG. I've never done a factory reset so I'm not 100% sure what is does in the background.

My EPG range is a little large!

Running: epgrange
Sat Oct 26 01:00:00 BST 2013
Wed Nov 27 23:50:00 GMT 2013

Mine's exactly the same, but I put it down to it not having been rebooted for almost 25 days.
The other box I look after sleeps overnight and it has:
Mon Nov 18 08:45:00 GMT 2013

Don't know if this is a valid assumption though.

Mines normal then after my factory reset

Wed Nov 20 00:00:00 GMT 2013

Perhaps the larger EPG ranges are in some way responsible for the laggy EPG reported by some users.
I have not noticed any problem with the EPG on any of my boxes, which all report similar epgrange results to those posted by ChrisDaniels.

Having done an EPG reset, my guide is just as slow and jumpy as before. I'll try a factory reset tomorrow when it won't affect recordings.

Installed 2.19(1815)/1.03.06 this morning and everything appears fine except the Portal doesn't appear to work. The menus appear almost off the bottom of the screen with a white something or other at the end, the coloured buttons and exit work but nothing else does.

Have I missed something?

<EDIT>
Removed "Portal Xtra1" and installed "New Portal"
All appears OK now - that will teach me to pay attention :)
</EDIT>

I did a factory reset this morning inbetween recordings of cbeebies stuff.... the EPG then seemed very quick like it used to be to start with, but then presumably when it had populated fully had slowed down again, though I think still less lagging than it was before the reset. Schedule restored from web-if and back to normal in few minutes thanks to custom firmware of course :)

Tried a Factory rest, but as slow as before, well at least unbearable.
So back to the older version.
Thanks though, maybe this info will lead to a fix.

You sure you did it properly?
Might be useful to run the epgrange command under diagnostics so we can see if it's reset your epg data properly

You sure you did it properly?
Might be useful to run the epgrange command under diagnostics so we can see if it's reset your epg data properly
I'll give it a go in a bit.
I also have auto-restore for the schedule, I wonder if that is just restoring what the factory reset is getting rid of.
Have to say I will not tolerate any delay compared to what I have now, so I may be a bad tester.

I was hoping this would have helped the EPG too as it was much better when initially reset to defaults, but then back to normal when tried a short while later.

"This remote has gone a bit slow, does it need new batteries" + other comments about it so not just me.

I thought I posted earlier but can't see my post now, but I wondered if this was to do with either the amount of data as the EPG filled up with all the extra channels, or to do with the restored schedule information as I of course restored that.

Just deleted using the remote control all schedule entries and the guide seemed a little less laggy but still pretty useless.

The EPG diagnostic showed from 24 Nov to 1 Dec

Just set off another factory default and EPG seems to be working much better again with no recordings in the schedule. 20 mins later still seemed OK. Restored last schedule and rebooted and lagging badly again.

I wonder if someone there who has a "spare" HDR can do some more scientific testing leaving it on factory defaults with no schedule, see if any different after rebooted etc.

An does anyone who uses this latest version NOT get the lagging EPG?

Steve

I have found the same as dragon-it, a factory reset greatly improved the EPG lag for some hours but after another re-boot which auto loaded the backed up recording schedule and favourites some, (but not all) of the lag was back. I'm wondering if the backed up recording schedule / favourites is incompatible in some way with the 1.03.06 EPG and re-loading it re-introduces some of the lag, the only way to prove this would be by manually entering the schedule / favourites and not allowing the back-up to be used, I haven't yet tried this due to the large amount of data I would need to re-enter. I was also wondering if temporarily reducing the epgrange from 8 days to say 4 might reduce lag, indicating, perhaps that 1.03.06 works better with more memory

I also backed up my schedule, but when putting it back noticed a lot of dead entries, so manually deleted them.
Mine is still lag free.

Back