Change WRITE permission on 4000T HDD

janandsteve

Hi
I have the 4000T wirelessly connected to the Humax H3. Software never worked properly, Humax helpline as useful as ever.
I use Kodi on the H3 to access my 4000T - Kodi is open source and great to teak the .xml files. Kodi has a function to delete recorded files across a network. I have managed to ftp: onto the 4000T HDD and can see all the recorded programs in the recordings folder. Only the 'user' of the 4000T is allowed full RWX. 'group' and 'others' do not have the W permission, only RX. I have sussed out that in order to delete from the 4000T HDD I need Write permission on the 'recordings' folder. I have tried a few ftp clients and I cannot change permissions on the 4000T HDD. I somehow need to get into the 4000T directly as the 'user' and change the permissions from there.... Anyone help? Many thanks. Steve

Posting the same question on multipile forums without actually expaining that you are doing that could cause someone to spend their time and effort helping you when somebody else has already spent time and effort with the same sort of answer.
Imagine you had two friends and you asked them both, out of ear shot of each other, to do you a favour when that favour only needed doing once.

Posting the same question on multipile forums without actually expaining that you are doing that could cause someone to spend their time and effort helping you when somebody else has already spent time and effort with the same sort of answer.
Imagine you had two friends and you asked them both, out of ear shot of each other, to do you a favour when that favour only needed doing once.

Thank you so much, Luke, for you efforts in typing out all that text. You don’t work at the Humax Belfast call centre do you, by any chance?

TWO forums, not multiple, yes the other side, as I see you too are a member of.

Imagine the horror of wasting someone’s time by a single post on a single forum. Someone may have read my post and gone away to do some research, then you too may have read it and you too go away and do some research.... how should I feel then?

Someone either knows the answer to my question or they don’t. If they do and decide to reply, it would take them the same amount of time to type a response as it took you to type the above. I have been doing research for a week or so and cannot work anything out from the web. I would expect someone to reply with knowledge. Imagine if someone went away and did some research, not fully understanding my problem, came back and said try x y z. Would they be also wasting my time if they were wrong?

I will find you the address of the Belfast call centre, so you can send in a copy of your cv, as it would appear that you are the sort of person they are looking for.... unless I am wasting my time if you have already been sent the address or look it up quicker than I can.....time to change hands.

Regards.

Hi
I have the 4000T wirelessly connected to the Humax H3. Software never worked properly, Humax helpline as useful as ever.
I use Kodi on the H3 to access my 4000T - Kodi is open source and great to teak the .xml files. Kodi has a function to delete recorded files across a network. I have managed to ftp: onto the 4000T HDD and can see all the recorded programs in the recordings folder. Only the 'user' of the 4000T is allowed full RWX. 'group' and 'others' do not have the W permission, only RX. I have sussed out that in order to delete from the 4000T HDD I need Write permission on the 'recordings' folder. I have tried a few ftp clients and I cannot change permissions on the 4000T HDD. I somehow need to get into the 4000T directly as the 'user' and change the permissions from there.... Anyone help? Many thanks. Steve
You are banging your head against a brick wall. If the permissions you state are all Humax have decided to allow, that's all there is unless/until somebody cracks being able to access the command line at root. (And, after comprehensively demonstrating it can be done on HDR-FOX, naturally Humax aren't going to let that happen again.)

janandsteve. Regardless of your diatribe above. It's just bad form.
And I didn't take long typing that out. I am retried so a job at a call centre does not appeal to me either.
How to win friends and influence people.:frantic:

Back