Channel update required 25th August 2015.

voo

A message on my TV stated that a channel update is required to enable me to keep watching Yorkshire TV. I know that the channels will be changed but will the recordings I've set and my media settings be removed. If so, can anyone let me know if my media recordings can be saved and how to do it please?

I should also point out that your network-enforced retune (we call them DSO events) cannot be prevented, only delayed if you happen to be watching at the time and click "not now". Which is galling because usually these events are only to make some minor tweaks like introducing a new (crap) service you're not interested in anyway, and everything else would carry on regardless. Even LCN changes don't have to be implemented - when Dave switched from 19 to 12 (or whatever it was), as long as the other transmission parameters remain unchanged you could carry on with Dave on 19 even if it did say 12 in the listings guides.

To prevent this kind of thing, or at least defer it until a convenient time for yourself, and be able to back up and restore your recording schedule after a retune, you need the Custom Firmware (click).

I should also point out that your network-enforced retune (we call them DSO events) cannot be prevented, only delayed if you happen to be watching at the time and click "not now". Which is galling because usually these events are only to make some minor tweaks like introducing a new (crap) service you're not interested in anyway, and everything else would carry on regardless...

In this case, at least for me (Sandy Heath transmitter), I lost ITV4 on the 25th, until I did a retune.

I lost my Wales services, and the radio services lost coherence, until I retuned. Maybe the encoding changed?

Ours was different this time. Having no CF usually means that my recording schedule disappears, but this time only the daily reminder was missing. However,
British Superbikes (Wed ITV4) failed to record, showing 0 minutes in the media file.
Despite not spotting this until last night or changing anything, it did record the Volcano programme on BBC which was on the schedule prior to the retune.
My edited channel list has not altered either, usually I have to edit out all the crud.
I've since cancelled and renewed the scheduled recordings to be on the safe side.

I lost ITV4, don't know or care what else, just used it as a check that it had re-tuned properly. Lost my T2 mpx on my Hummy (not my other HD boxes though), but a manual tune of the Hummy sorted that out.

Ours was different this time. Having no CF usually means that my recording schedule disappears, but this time only the daily reminder was missing. However,
British Superbikes (Wed ITV4) failed to record, showing 0 minutes in the media file.
Despite not spotting this until last night or changing anything, it did record the Volcano programme on BBC which was on the schedule prior to the retune.
My edited channel list has not altered either, usually I have to edit out all the crud.
I've since cancelled and renewed the scheduled recordings to be on the safe side.

Sounds like yours hasn't actually retuned?

The 0 minutes is what happens when a scheduled recording occurs on a channel that has moved away from under us. i.e. ITV4 was no longer being transmitted on that mux.

Apols if I'm missing the point :)

I agree, but I can't see why my daily reminder disappeared. No worries though, at least I won't have to tediously edit the channel list. ( I know BH, CF,CF, but after 5 years without.....! :) )

Caldbeck transmitter by the way.

I was going to ask a question, but it might be related to this. I'm in Gower and get my signal from the Prescelli TX. I've had failure to track errors on ITV HD, but BBC HD has recorded without a problem. Similarly, ITV SD and all the other series linked SD channels have been OK. I have CF, so no automatic re-tune. I'll try a manual re-tune on the HD MUX and see what happens.

Ten minutes later:

Did the re-tune and managed to set a series link for ITV HD program, and its now recording.

As someone said earlier, there must be some changes to the system which are only apparent when things like this happen. Who knows.

Last edited:
I did a retune and was surprised to find I could get 100% quality with 10% signal on Made In Bristol, but 10% quality with 22% signal on the Wales muxes. However, even though I now have Made In Bristol in my constellation, I still have no sign of BBC FOUR HD (which should be on the same mux).

BBC Four HD is on COM7. Made in Brizzle is on the Local mux. RF channels 33 and 51 respectively from Mendip.

I did a retune and was surprised to find I could get 100% quality with 10% signal on Made In Bristol, but 10% quality with 22% signal on the Wales muxes. However, even though I now have Made In Bristol in my constellation, I still have no sign of BBC FOUR HD (which should be on the same mux).

There are no BBC FOUR HD services on any of the transmitters in Wales, with the exception of Wenvoe, or at least that was the situation last time I looked. Wenvoe does have a few extra MUX's.

Whoops, I thought I'd posted this a couple hours ago, before I went to the game.

Back