Resolved Characters lacking

D

Deleted member 473

How are we supposed to type CO2 with the [Edit]subscript 2? It comes out as CO₂ when I try.

What other characters are missing? Or is it a function of my device, in which case how do we know what will or will not view correctly on all devices?

I thought that Unicode at least would be supported, even with its many omissions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Testing: ♷⚉☸⁶₂½㉕⊆➽‱℃℉₁₁∜⌠∰∄ℵ⋐∭∠❃℥㎤♭

So subscripts and some other characters are missing but loads of other characters are there, including superscripts. They all see to be there on my phone.

Area of a circle: πr²
Volume of a sphere: ⁴︎/₃︎πr³ (doesn't look very good, better as 4πr³/3)

Poor Willy was a scientist,
Poor Willy is no more,
For what he thought was H₂︎︎O
Was H₂︎︎SO₄︎.

Last edited:
How are we supposed to type CO2 with the [Edit]subscript 2? It comes out as CO₂ when I try.

What other characters are missing? Or is it a function of my device, in which case how do we know what will or will not view correctly on all devices?

I thought that Unicode at least would be supported, even with its many omissions.
That subscript 2 displays correctly (unless it being sans serif is a problem) on my device as do the other +/-scripts in other posts (oddly the super script 2 in BH's post is serif but not the sub). So it's probably an issue with your device or browser.

As to multi device display ... it's what PDF was invented for.

I guessed it was a browser problem and was about to post a screenshot as an image. I'll do it anyway (for anyone else not using rich text):

IMG_2068.jpg

Yes and no. Yes, they appear as if they are a smaller point size, but no they are actually different glyphs in the same character set and point size.

If rendered in a different font, they do display below the line:

Poor Willy is no more,
Was H₂︎︎SO₄︎.

Last edited:
If there was some way to inject html into postings it would be possible to use a construct like:
HTML:
CO<sub>2</sub> or  &pi;r<sup>2</sup>
co2.jpg
This should make it readable for everyone - but a sod to write.

Well, yes, but prior to your post 10 they were in a font that renders on the line in iOS and Win7/Chrome... but on an Android phone they are below the line even in my first post!

Poor Willy is no more,
Was H₂︎︎SO₄︎.
They don't all display correctly here, but possibly do on my laptop. The subscripts are all missing. The characters display fine in a text editor on my tablet, but when I paste them here they no longer work. Perhaps it is my browser.

Testing: ♷⚉☸⁶₂½㉕⊆➽‱℃℉₁₁∜⌠∰∄ℵ⋐∭∠❃℥㎤♭

No good in FF or Opera on Android, though the CO2 came out right in FF!

In Chrome I see the superscript 6, one half, subset, black arrow, degrees C, top half of integral, cm cubed and flat only.

Back