Copying files to USB ?

Sargan

Initially wasted a few Hrs of trying to copy files from Int HD to a USB memory Stick ... before I found out on another forum that although its sees and displays folders it does not properly support NTFS, to do do I would need to install custom firmware.

Have installed current (1.03.12) and machine gave me success message and seems to be running fine.

However when I plug in USB memory stick, it still will not let me copy files to the stick ... I have several ~200min HD recordings that I want to copy.

I can't use Fat 32 due to file size limit
Is there another step I need to do to use NTFS

You need to install the Web Interface (put the IP address of your Humax into your browser) and then the ntfs-3g package.
Alternatively, you can Telnet to the box and run "opkg install ntfs-3g".

You need to install the Web Interface (put the IP address of your Humax into your browser) and then the ntfs-3g package.
Alternatively, you can Telnet to the box and run "opkg install ntfs-3g".
OK .. didn't realise I had to have the Web interface, more complex than expected :)
Thanks ....

OK ... checked it was connected to internet .. opened up Browser session and it downloaded all the packages.
The end message said "Congratulations, you have successfully installed the full web interface
and supporting packages. Please restart your Humax device using the
remote control to put it into standby, wait for it to fully shut down
and then start it up again
."

Put it into standby .... but it has not shutdown ... after 5min I can here it still running, and .. it was quite loud .... fan I assume, after 5min it it then took a step change quieter, but still running - occasional HDD access ...how long does this normally take ... am I safe to start back up from remote or do I need to press button ... or has something gone horribly wrong.

Last edited:
I have a 500GB USB drive so can use - so space no an issue, but note the comments on it can be picky.
These are my recordings off air ... so should have no protection (or at least assume not)

What I meant was these are time shift TV programmes recorded off-air, not copies of DVD or Blue-ray with encryption, looks like HD recordings will involve a bit more effort :)

Last edited:
Hi .. went and read sect 12 as suggested ... I think by installing custom f/w it has fixed the limitations I had hit.
The install of full web interface with all the apps competed, do I have to run any of these - or are they 'called' when needed.
So hopefully I'm ready to be able to move SD & HD recordings to my USB drive for use on a PC ?

Been moving around different threads .. and read that I need 3rd party app Foxy to decrypt HS recordings, and also that this is now built into custom firmware.
Do I just use opt+ and move files, or do I have to 'apply Foxy' first to each file that I then want to move.
Is there a simple 'idiots' style steps of how to do this ? ........

I have no doubt it will be easy once I have done it once, but not easy to know the steps.

Hi .. went and read sect 12 as suggested ... I think by installing custom f/w it has fixed the limitations I had hit.
The install of full web interface with all the apps competed, do I have to run any of these - or are they 'called' when needed.
So hopefully I'm ready to be able to move SD & HD recordings to my USB drive for use on a PC ?

Been moving around different threads .. and read that I need 3rd party app Foxy to decrypt HS recordings, and also that this is now built into custom firmware.
Do I just use opt+ and move files, or do I have to 'apply Foxy' first to each file that I then want to move.
Is there a simple 'idiots' style steps of how to do this ? ........

I have no doubt it will be easy once I have done it once, but not easy to know the steps.

You don't need Foxy, the custom firmware is able to decrypt HD recordings in situ (It uses the same trick as Foxy to enable de-cryption of HD recordings). Once decrypted you can copy them directly to a PC so need for USB transfers either.

I have a PC and via browser can see all the folders and files on the HDR
I looked at apps and installed 'auto unprotect' 'ntfs-3G' and 'disable dso'

For example if I look at the GUI listing I can see an HD recording and if I click on 'opt+' I get the following: (I can see the ENC flag has gone)

lkgya28

What do I do next ... pressing decrypt has not effect ... the padlock icon does not change .... is this as 'auto unprotect' is installed ? ... do I just download it ?
I did simply try a downlaod .. but the resultant file does not play ... had some errors about cryptographic signatures .... so assume it is not decrypted.

Last edited:
@Sargan - the information you require is in Black Hole's guides. Look for the section on decryption. By default the custom firmware does not decrypt your recordings, you need to install certain packages and configure it to do what you want.
To get you started, to enable decryption on copying to USB by use of the remote control handset, you need to go into Web-If>package management and install the auto-unprotect package. You might have to go into the general settings menu and make 'advanced packages' visible first. This package will remove the 'Enc' flags from your existing high def. recordings and do the same for future recordings. All recordings are encrypted by default, but on copying to USB, using the remote, both standard and high def. programmes are decrypted and become playable on other devices.

Locked is not the same as encrypted. Locking is a native function of the Humax and you will find it on the normal menus, it restricts those who can view a recording by requiring a PIN.

You must already have auto-unprotect installed, as none of your HiDef recordings show the Enc icon - which would mean they are protected from decryption. My guess is that you have not turned on the DLNA server - which is a requirement for the auto-decryption. If you follow the link to the article about decryption from Things Every... section 5, it states exactly what you need to do to provide decryption in various scenarios.

If all you want to do is produce decrypted recordings when copied to USB, you do not need to do anything more - as you will see in that article.

@Sargan. I crossed posts with yours above: you already know about auto-unprotect.
Have you enabled content sharing on the unit using the remote control? The DLNA server has to be running for the decryption options to become available.

In case I confused things ... as mentioned in post #13 I have installed 'auto unprotect' 'ntfs-3G' and 'disable dso'

and you are right the the ENC flag has gone.
Slightly confused by comment that "Locked is not the same as encrypted." in the pop up menu (shown in my screen grab) it actually has word decrypt alongside the padlock ? that was throwing me, I'll ignore that.

You are right I had missed the bit about turning sharing ON .... I'll do that and have another read of the links.

They just happen to have the same icon, which is unfortunate. Near the bottom of the list is "Lock" (which does the same as the standard Humax menus), while "Decrypt" does what it says (noting that you do not need to decrypt in order to play a recording on the original Humax, and you do not need to decrypt before copying to USB in order to end up with a decrypted copy).

I'm still failing here ...
Enabled content sharing ... Auto Decrypt installed (all ENC flag removed)
I followed the link in 'point 5' of Things Every HD/HDR-FOX Owner Should Know.
to http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/using-fox-t2-recordings-with-plex-media-server.2003/#post-25775

and as far as I can tell am following what is needed in method #4

i.e. Auto Decrypt installed , no flags showing
From my PC browser pressing OPT+ button and then selecting download ..
No USB involved - this is direct download to PC

Files download as ts files .... but so far not one of them will play.
Am I missing a step ?

Auto Decrypt is not instantaneous it need to be turned on at the folder level (can be set as recursive) and it will then take a few minutes to process each file after the periodic (every twenty minutes) auto process routine starts.
When files are decrypted they will have a DEC icon against the name

Back