Copying from T2

peterpi

I have a 2TB drive, formatted to Ext3, which I want to use to archive some recordings from my T2. The caddy is a USB3 one and I don't know if that is the problem, but I don't see the USB option when I press the "Media" button. If I use a 16Gb stick it sees it, and copies stuff across. I've not checked to see if it shows up on the Web IF yet, and I cannot do that now as I'm archiving to the memory stick at the moment.

Any pointers please?

I was not aware that the USB option under Media >> Storage (blue) gets hidden if there are no USB drives detected, but it doesn't sound unreasonable, and as you are working it OK with a different drive then it is a case of the HDR not recognising your drive is even connected. Without that, you can't even try formatting it from the menu options.

The caddy is a USB3 one and I don't know if that is the problem
It will be a proablem if it is not also USB 2 compatable, in which case it will not be offered as an option when you press the 'Blue' button within the Media menu even if everything else is OK.

Are there any USB3 devices that are not USB2 compatible?

USB3.0 in terms of it's working is backwards compatible, but a usb2.0 port may not deliver enough current to power a usb3.0 unpowered drive. Drives described as usb2.0 compatible should work within the power compatibility of a usb2.0 port. I have though found that some drives require additional power. Get a USB lead with an extra power connector you can connect to USB mains power charger.

Example for type A usb 3.0 connector.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-usb-30-a-to-micro-b-dual-power-cable-3m-a66qc

I was not aware that the USB option under Media >> Storage (blue) gets hidden if there are no USB drives detected, but it doesn't sound unreasonable, and as you are working it OK with a different drive then it is a case of the HDR not recognising your drive is even connected. Without that, you can't even try formatting it from the menu options.

I've tried two different cradles and a few drives but they still don't show up. Is the fact that I am using the front USB port of any relevance?

USB3.0 in terms of it's working is backwards compatible, but a usb2.0 port may not deliver enough current to power a usb3.0 unpowered drive. Drives described as usb2.0 compatible should work within the power compatibility of a usb2.0 port. I have though found that some drives require additional power. Get a USB lead with an extra power connector you can connect to USB mains power charger.

Example for type A usb 3.0 connector.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-usb-30-a-to-micro-b-dual-power-cable-3m-a66qc

I didn't see your post Graham before I posted the above. As you can see I've tried a USB3 cradle which has a separate PSU and likewise a USB2 or maybe 1 with its own PSU, with the same results.

I didn't see your post Graham before I posted the above. As you can see I've tried a USB3 cradle which has a separate PSU and likewise a USB2 or maybe 1 with its own PSU, with the same results.

Long shot - have you tried the rear usb port as well as the front one ? In the end use the Custom Firmware and copy directly to a PC (samba share or ftp). Decrypt recordings before copying.

Are there any USB3 devices that are not USB2 compatible?
The USB 3 spec has USB 2 backwards compatibility as optional, and so in theory there could be. A few months ago I was bedridden and one day getting bored I tried to find a usb powered USB 3 HDD that was not compatible. Most of the USB 3 HDD drives listed on Amazon did not mention USB 2 compatibility but each one I looked at the manufacturers site stated that it was USB 2 compatible.

Caddies are a bit different as the drives themselves are not certified to be powered by a USB 3 port alone and the caddy may require additional power to work OK. As the power required will depend on the drive used a caddy cannot be guaranteed to work with USB power alone. My thinking is therefore that even if everything was USB 3 and OK then it will not be covered by USB 2 power compatibility even if the caddy manufacturer stated it is USB 2 compatible.

Long shot - have you tried the rear usb port as well as the front one ? In the end use the Custom Firmware and copy directly to a PC (samba share or ftp). Decrypt recordings before copying.

I'm going to try that as a last resort. I'm copying to the front port (USB stick) at the moment and as soon as that's done I'll try the rear port.

Nothing wrong with ext3.
I've not checked to see if it shows up on the Web IF yet,
Did you ever do this?
Do you know how the drive is partitioned? If it's using GPT/GUID/EFI partitioning, try reformatting it using MBR partions.
If you're up for more experimentation (you mentioned the web interface so I'm assuming you already have custom firmware) try the d version of CFW and see what the kernel logs when you plug the drive in.

Nothing wrong with ext3.

Did you ever do this?
Do you know how the drive is partitioned? If it's using GPT/GUID/EFI partitioning, try reformatting it using MBR partions.
If you're up for more experimentation (you mentioned the web interface so I'm assuming you already have custom firmware) try the d version of CFW and see what the kernel logs when you plug the drive in.

I'm not sure which version of CF I have. I'll check it out later,

Thanks.

I'm going to try that as a last resort. I'm copying to the front port (USB stick) at the moment and as soon as that's done I'll try the rear port.

I had a front USB port fail on my T2. Wouldn't even recognise a USB stick, but both the stick and the drive worked fine on the rear port.

I've formatted the drive to FAT32. Still doesn't show up when I select Media and press the blue button. However if a select a file, and press opt+ I see three options for the destination to save it to. The only one I can copy it to is "gpt-drive2". If I copy a file to there it stops at 58.16 Mbyte. I shall reformat it as an EXT3 drive and try the same procedure to see if that works.

Still little progress. Latest format Ext3, but the drive still doesn't show up on Media, Blue Button. If I select a file and press opt+ I see a couple of other drives but if I try to copy to them I get a "not enough space" error. I've not seen an MBR option when formatting. I've got Ubuntu booting from a USB stick. I'm going to try a smaller drive and see how I do as I've used the 2Tb to backup stuff from my PC.

Latest format Ext3, but the drive still doesn't show up on Media, Blue Button.
It isn't the format used for a particular partition that is the issue; it is the underlying partition scheme that is the issue. A GPT partitioned disk will not be seen by a FOX-HDR T2 without use of the custom firmware. I use Mini Tool Partition Wizard for this sort of thing and that does have a GPT to MBR conversion option (and also an MBR to GPToption).

Back