Copying Recordings

Good Afternoon All

An update to the thread about my progress.

I followed the advice and successfully managed to copy Std recordings from my 2000T onto an external USB drive. I have now got a new 5000T box and am able to download the recordings from the USB to the 5000T.

As you all warned, of course, it is a slow process and so I decided to go down the route of transfer using FileZilla and my PC.

Both boxes are on the same network and connected to WiFi with connection status confirmed on them both. File sharing is enabled on both boxes and on the PC but I can only connect to the 2000T with FileZilla and not to the 5000T. I am using the same system of login for both, but obviously am doing something wrong on the 5000T connection.

I am able to transfer recordings to my PC from 2000T but then cannot connect to 5000T to download them to it.

For 2000T I use :-

Host - Box IP addresses. (192.168.1.7 for 2000T and 192.168.1.8 for 5000T) Port 21
Protocol - File Transfer Protocol
Encryption - Use explicit FTP over TLS if available
Logon Type - Normal
User - HumaxFTP
Password - 0000 (four zeros)

All this works OK for the 2000T box but not for the 5000T - what am I doing wrong please ?

One other thing - when I open the network page on the 5000T it shows all details of the 2000T and the recordings which are on it - is there any way to just transfer these across to the 5000T without involving the PC or FTP client?

Thanks and regards,

Roy.

As you all warned, of course, it is a slow process and so I decided to go down the route of transfer using FileZilla and my PC.
How did you manage to decrypt those recordings so that they will play on the FVP-5000T?
Have you checked one of them to see if the are decrypted OK and can be played by something other than the HDR-2000T?

One other thing - when I open the network page on the 5000T it shows all details of the 2000T and the recordings which are on it - is there any way to just transfer these across to the 5000T without involving the PC or FTP client?
That is using the DLNA functionality. The answer is no, as DLNA intentionally does not provide that functionality you are after.

For 2000T I use :-

Host - Box IP addresses. (192.168.1.7 for 2000T and 192.168.1.8 for 5000T) Port 21
Protocol - File Transfer Protocol
Encryption - Use explicit FTP over TLS if available
Logon Type - Normal
User - HumaxFTP
Password - 0000 (four zeros)

All this works OK for the 2000T box but not for the 5000T - what am I doing wrong please ?
For the FVP-5000T you need to change Logon Type to Anonymous and you don't need user name or password.

However as Luke says you need to remove the encryption which FTP transfer won't do.

I assume that is via the DLNA server? You can play SD recordings from the HDR-2000T on the FVP but you can't save them.

What you could do is use a DLNA client on a PC running Windows 10 to capture the recordings and SD recordings will be decrypted; this is much quicker than copying to a USB drive.

How did you manage to decrypt those recordings so that they will play on the FVP-5000T?
I just used an external USB drive as suggested by EEPhil in post #14

However as Luke says you need to remove the encryption which FTP transfer won't do.
When I manage to copy recordings from 2000T to my PC via FileZilla and then transfer them to 5000T using external USB they wont play on PC or 5000T box
I assume that is via the DLNA server? You can play SD recordings from the HDR-2000T on the FVP but you can't save
Yes, that is all true.
What you could do is use a DLNA client on a PC running Windows 10 to capture the recordings and SD recordings will be decrypted; this is much quicker than copying to a USB drive.
How exactly do I do that please? Will they then play fully on the 5000T ie: with pause, fast forward etc?

I just used an external USB drive as suggested by EEPhil in post #14
I can’t have been clear. The move from the 2000T to the external disk MUST be done in such a way as to decrypt the files. Your mention of ftp suggests you didn’t do this. One method is to plug the external drive into the 2000T and use the Humax menu to save the files. No need for ftp. When done either connect the external drive to the 5000T or your PC. With it connected to the 5000T use the Humax menu to upload files. Connected to your PC you CAN ftp from the external drive to the 5000T download area.
The DLNA client on a PC would allow you to save files directly to your PC from the 2000T bypassing the external drive. You could then transfer them to the 5000T by ftp.

It was clear, but the OP's post is easily misread. I believe he's trying to put USB-decrypted recordings from the 2000T onto the 5000T by FTP. I have no idea whether that's possible.
I also believe, but only after reconciling post #25 with what I had already been stated.

Thanks to all for your interest and help.

I have discovered that the easiest way for me is to transfer the recordings from the 2000T directly onto an external USB drive and then use that drive plugged into the 5000T to either upload them onto the 5000T or view them directly from the drive.

As you have all said, it is not the quickest way, but for the few irregular times I envisage doing this I can accept the time delays.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Roy.

the easiest way for me is to transfer the recordings from the 2000T directly onto an external USB drive and then use that drive plugged into the 5000T to either upload them onto the 5000T or view them directly from the drive.

As you have all said, it is not the quickest way, but for the few irregular times I envisage doing this I can accept the time delays.
I anticipated that would be the case.

It was clear
Thanks for that! I was beginning to doubt myself.
I believe he's trying to put USB-decrypted recordings from the 2000T onto the 5000T by FTP. I have no idea whether that's possible.
Without double checking, I seem to recall that it is possible to have the USB device plugged into the 2000T and for it to be recognised over ftp from a PC. Therefore if the OP really did save recordings on the 2000T to the USB drive (connected to the 2000T) and then from the PC ftp'd from the USB drive (still conected to the 2000T) to the PC and then ftp'd from the PC to the 5000T (phew!), then this ought to work.

You left out the sneakernet.
If that’s aimed at me, it isn’t a term I use - I had to look it up. Didn’t my original answer refer to physically moving the USB device from one Humax to the other? Perhaps that wasn’t clear either. The previous post answered your question as I interpreted it - can you ftp to a PC from a USB device connected to a Humax?

We have a difference of interpretation, and as usual in trying to be succinct my post was less clear than it could have been.
Therefore if the OP really did save recordings on the 2000T to the USB drive (connected to the 2000T) and then from the PC ftp'd from the USB drive (still conected to the 2000T) to the PC and then ftp'd from the PC to the 5000T (phew!), then this ought to work.
My interpretation was that having copied the 2000T recordings to UPD, the UPD itself was walked to the PC (ie sneakernet – which has a much higher potential bandwidth than any networking system!), and from there FTPed to the 5000T hoping to circumvent the 5000T's slow transfer rate.

If the sidecar file formats have changed between 2000T and 5000T, it would be as well to delete them and only copy the .TS to the 5000T to avoid compatibility issues.

I would have thought sneakernet would have been possible in any case. That is why when you questioned if it was possible I thought... Ho, hum!

Sidecar files are not compatible. The .nts file is probably the same. The .hmt file of the 2000T (similar enough to the FOX one) is missing on the 5000T to be replaced by a .hjm file appears to be a JSON file which probably contains encrypted and encoded (base64 is it? And url encoded). I suspect there may be hidden files as well.

Back