Coronavirus Lockdown Chat

Eventually the whole world will speak English.
Eventually the whole world will speak American.
Eventually the whole galaxy will speak Chinese.

(Firefly/Serenity in case you don't get it :) )

No letter for me yet, but tha NHS app lets me get through to booking at the Arena.

The actual informational content of the vaccine is just over a kilobyte. SARS-CoV-2 itself weighs in at around 7.5 kilobytes.
I'm amazed a sophisticated functional virus can be defined in so little DNA. If it takes 1Kb to define a protein, that means the virus itself is only seven proteins.

Superb article. I would have given the author some kind of thanks or like, but I couldn't find a way to do it.

Last edited:
The final genome of sequenced SARS-CoV-2 consists of a single, positive-stranded RNA that is 29,811 nucleotides long. The spike will be shorter, of course. Fascinating stuff.

Link at end of your link.
Clearly any other vaccines using mRNA will require the same special storage and handling as the Pfizer jab.

Clearly any other vaccines using mRNA will require the same special storage and handling as the Pfizer jab.
Oh? and what would those be?

Don't answer! I was being sarcastic because just about every presenter and interviewee insists upon explaining this to us as though it were something new that only they have knowledge of.

No. The Moderna one only requires storage at normal freezer temperatures and lasts much longer in a fridge once thawed.
A bit more difficult than most of the others still.

The Pfizer one seems to be exceptionally fragile.

I'm amazed a sophisticated functional virus can be defined in so little DNA. If it takes 1Kb to define a protein, that means the virus itself is only seven proteins.
The full virus codes 15 genes.

Back