Coronavirus Lockdown Chat

Just announced, all 70+s to be vaccinated by next weekend.

Just tried NHS app and it says I am not yet eligible.😡

tenor.gif

It seems there is something of a postcode lottery going on as absolutely no-one round here has yet been vaccinated (if the posts on the local Facebook page are to be believed including posts from the doctor's surgery which says they are still waiting for supplies despite being otherwise set up and ready to roll).

I am being optimistic in that suggesting the infection rate locally is not as high as elsewhere which is why we are being pushed to the back of the queue.

It seems there is something of a postcode lottery going on
Damn right! My doctor's surgery is in a big building - one side, about 5 merged practices the other side another practice (possibly merged). So it's big.
Notice on their webpage: "The Covid -19 vaccination programme has begun but it is not currently being given at this Practice." Fan-bloody-tastic!

I am being optimistic in that suggesting the infection rate locally is not as high as elsewhere which is why we are being pushed to the back of the queue.
I'd like to believe that too. It would make sense.

I'd also like to believe I'll win the lotto before I'm too old to enjoy the money.

The one thing that has struck me throughout this is the lack of information being published. The rules are dished out and amended with claims of following the science, but almost no one seems to be explaining what the (currently understood) science is behind them. I realise there is uncertainty about a lot of it, but they could at least be up front about why 'Rule N' is thought to be useful.
Oh, right ... "up front" and politicians ... Silly me :dunno:

What about the house-bound? Is anything being done about them? Don't say they are not at risk - they'll be having visiting carers.

There are pictures in today's paper of 80+'s queueing in Salisbury Cathedral - I can think of quite a few 80+'s I know who would not be able to queue for any length of time, let alone get there.

What about the house-bound? Is anything being done about them? Don't say they are not at risk - they'll be having visiting carers.
The carers that came here were a very risky bunch. They had protocols to follow. Did they? Did they 'eck as like!

Being cynical, I suspect numbers are being boosted by supplying large quantities of vaccine to certain areas at the expense of others.

Just heard on the politics program that in the north we are well on the way to vaccinating half the over 80s. 🥳🥳🥳😡

The carers that came here were a very risky bunch. They had protocols to follow. Did they? Did they 'eck as like!
Can you imagine trying to do what they have to do in the time they have to do it while following strict protocol? I don't blame them for taking short cuts, I blame the system which does not recognise short cuts are inevitable and claims no short cuts are being taken. The managers who sell you the package are all very good with the sales pitch, but it is never matched with practice - and they are all alike so there is no point trawling for somewhere better.

I hadn’t spotted that. The idiots in the photos caught my attention. Railway, rail and train tracks. It’s all over the place.
I have little doubt it is the sort of "idiocy" committed by youth throughout the centuries, but now there are cameras everywhere the more mature are able to tut-tut about it. I'm sure I got up to a few things as an adolescent. My dad put pennies on the track to be bent by the Flying Scotsman, as souvenirs... absolutely verboten, did no harm, couldn't get away with it now.

A friend (younger than me, seems to get his news from following trends on social media) sent me a link to something he thought might be of interest. Often it isn't, but in this case...

What I found is a rather wonderful article dissecting the Pfizer mRNA vaccine, using computers and computer code as a direct analogy.

Not before time*, today I had a letter from the council telling me what the arrangements for vaccination are, that I will be invited when it's my turn and not to bother the GP etc, and defining the priority categories (from which I gather I am in the seventh category). There was also a chart showing how many people are in each category, but it would only make sense in colour and it's been printed in mono.

* Welsh and English - waste of money if you ask me, just to please a few Welsh Nationalists. Official documents in Wales are always delayed because of the need to have them translated and checked before being issued, which adds about a week.

But to crown it, given there are hardly any people who do not understand English, but a vast majority who do not understand Welsh, all public announcements are in Welsh first. I was in our new shopping centre only a few years ago when the sirens went off and an announcement came over the tannoy in Welsh, to which nobody responded, and then 20 seconds later the English version telling us there was a bomb alert and to leave the building!

I would be very interested to know the outcome if in fact a bomb did go off, and the reason for casualties was that the Welsh announcement came first!

Back