Coronavirus Lockdown Chat

Get the jab. Herd of herd immunity? You may protect 'someone of greater risk'.... by getting the jab for yourself and being immunised!
Oh, I'll get it when I can, but we are a long, long way from herd immunity (though it's starting to look like we may never achieve that anyway). At present it's just trying to jab the people most likely to end up in hospital if they catch it.
I'm just not that bothered on whether I get the shot next week or in a month or so. If there are more deserving people in line then they should go first.

Last edited:
Keep trying, did you use your nhs number?
The 70-74 includes the clinically extremely vulnerable. Your age group is immediately after that group.
So after posting #541 above I went into the website again and this time it let me book. I guess the parameters have been updated in the system now.

Not quite as local as I'd hoped (15 min drive - SWMBO's was a 10 minute walk away) but it's a lot closer than the one I'd get through the volunteer organisation (25 min drive plus 10 minute walk). It also means I've got a booking for the second shot as well, whereas the volunteer one was open ended.
No indication of which one I'll get.

Well done, MikeSh, I would not be surprised if your group isn't opened up this Monday anyway, or even today.

PS Midnight database update?

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it strange how the words "will be offered" has crept into Halfcock's mantra and replaced "will be vaccinated"?
He nearly left it out of an interview last evening, but corrected himself. I wonder if the "offerers" are going to be as persistent as the energy companies when they are offering smart meters?

I wonder if the "offerers" are going to be as persistent as the energy companies when they are offering smart meters?
...or, indeed, the people who spoof their CLI to appear as a UK mobile to get past my call blocker, and then try to tell me I owe money on my Amazon Prime account (which I don't have).

I'm not sure that I see the connection.
My point about offered covid jab, is so that they can claim to have scored when in fact that have just moved the goalposts. The smart meter thing is to make it easier for the companies to read your meter (But they keep banging on about it even though they have 'offered' one to me multiple times. Surely once is enough to meet the government's silly tree hugger 'green' dictate.

Your example is a simple case of people trying to rip you off.

Incidentally, my call blocker lists them as "International Mobile" and blocks them.

Possibly.
Could've been Friday night though - my first attempt was Friday pm and I didn't try again during actual Saturday hours.

I know two 69-year-olds who only managed to book a jab today. They both booked for tomorrow at the arena.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I was asked if I was on blood thinners, no other medications were mentioned. Considering the trials excluded any seriously ill people, I find that surprising.

My point about offered covid jab, is so that they can claim to have scored when in fact that have just moved the goalposts.
Yes

Your example is a simple case of people trying to rip you off.
No. My example is another example of persistent buggers (like smart meter offers) which will no doubt prove a lot more persistent than the people trying to persuade people to have the jab.

15Mpeople today allegedly. Offered, vaccinated or properly vaccinated with two doses? You chose.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I was asked if I was on blood thinners, no other medications were mentioned. Considering the trials excluded any seriously ill people, I find that surprising.
Anticoagulants are not a contraindication to intramuscular injections but they do impact the recommendations for intermuscular injections. They ask because pressure to the injection site should be applied for a short period. For the specific COVID-19 recommendation see the last paragraph of the Administrator section within the COVID-19 chapter of the the vaccination and immunisation Green Book (chapter 14a).
https://assets.publishing.service.g...961287/Greenbook_chapter_14a_v7_12Feb2021.pdf

15Mpeople today allegedly. Offered, vaccinated or properly vaccinated with two doses? You chose.
!st dose cumulative according to this gov.uk site that is updated daily.

It isn't unreasonable to measure vaccinations offered rather than vaccinations given - you can't count somebody who refuses the jab in the "not yet tackled" pile. While it remains optional, those who have been offered but refused must be counted as "job done".

My example is another example of persistent buggers (like smart meter offers) which will no doubt prove a lot more persistent than the people trying to persuade people to have the jab.
I've back-tracked on that. It shouldn't hold up the normal process of inviting cooperative people for a jab - why should the regular team have to approach somebody more than once? If it is considered important (it is), a separate team should do the arm-twisting in slower time.

another example of persistent buggers
The one that tees me off is Amazon pushing prime every time I order something - always with the 'Yes' as big button and the 'No' as a tiny hyperlink. :mad:

It isn't unreasonable to measure vaccinations offered rather than vaccinations given
I think it is unreasonable. In terms of infection control it's numbers actually treated that is significant. I've been offered it, but won't be getting it for a while. It would be very misleading to count me as 'done' in any way.

Anticoagulants are not a contraindication to intramuscular injections but they do impact the recommendations for intermuscular injections.

I wasn't arguing about anticoagulants, just that it was strange that after 15m jabs here and countless others elsewhere, no other medications were being checked, particularly after my own experience. Dexamethasone affects the immune response, so why no warning about that?

The one that tees me off is Amazon pushing prime every time I order something - always with the 'Yes' as big button and the 'No' as a tiny hyperlink. :mad:

Funny thing for me to be espousing, as a prime and vine member, but there are alternatives. One site will source books from independent stores, at a slight premium over Amazon, but for ebooks, Amazon pretty well has a monopoly.

It IS unreasonable considering HMG originally said that they would have 15M people vaccinated. It is only recently that they have moved the goalposts to offer the jab.
Having said that, I think that the covid queen Kate Bingham who kicked some ass and got things done deserves a medal or at lease a knighthood.

It IS unreasonable considering HMG originally said that they would have 15M people vaccinated. It is only recently that they have moved the goalposts to offer the jab.
As far as I can tell the reports today are that 15M have actually been vaccinated (with their first jab). What goalposts have moved?

Funny thing for me to be espousing, as a prime and vine member, but there are alternatives. One site will source books from independent stores, at a slight premium over Amazon, but for ebooks, Amazon pretty well has a monopoly.
Books? Did I say anything about books? The last book I ordered was 10 orders ago. :)

I actually order a lot through ebay to avoid the £20 minimum for free postage on Amazon (and it's often the same suppliers) or from individual websites for some stuff (often having checked Amazon for reviews - while being chary of the 'scam' reviewers).

Back