Coronavirus Lockdown Chat

Not good news here! I was fine until about 8am yesterday, when I found myself on my back on the bathroom floor, with no balance and hardly enough strength to crawl.

I was feeling better by 3pm, but very tired, so have spent almost 30hr in bed.

Feeling OK now, but am looking for that side effect without success. Scary!
One of my friend's elderly relative had a turn in that she was physically sick after her jab (half a day to a day later). They suspect it was the jab that caused it because it was the last thing she had, but it's difficult to pin down because she has other issues and is over 90. But she's not frail and never reacted badly to the flu jabs or other medication she has taken over the years.SimS
Felt fine initially but a bit rough and very cold as the evening progressed. Next morning had a slight headache and aching knees so took a couple of parrots-eat-em-all. After an hours nap in the afternoon
felt back to my normal (!) self.
Similar reports in a feature in the Mail today - basically concluding that reactions are a good thing and show the immune system has been mobilised.

As for Prime, we subscribe to that for several reasons.

* 15% discount on some repeat orders is handy

* We watch a load of stuff on the video channel

* Knowing things will be delivered quickly and left where we say, not chucked over the gate. With some items, delivery within hours.

* The occasional free books or magazines to read on kindle. (Yes, I do read books)

* Priority in daily offers
The only thing of real use to us is the fast and free delivery. SWMBO gets sucked in by the cheap month offer occasionally (and just last week left cancelling it too late, so now has a full price month :rolleyes: ) and I'll take a free month on the odd occasion it's offered.
That's the clincher, and something I'm not interested in paying for. If there was a cheaper Prime option which didn't include video subscription I might be more interested.
Last time I had the free month (before Christmas) I trawled the video for things to watch. Practically nada - two series looked possible but after watching the first episode of each I gave up.
I have a Netflix sub which is a bit better for my kind of content, but even that is paused more than used (at less they make that easy to do) as we binge the stuff we like and then wait for new stuff.

And now we have the fun of whether or not import duties and VAT will be charged, plus a hefty charge from the courier for handling them. Taking back control.
That's why my eBay filter now gets set to UK only - I used to set it to EU. Hopefully things will become clearer over time as eBay has/had a system that dealt with all that when purchasing from (eg) the USA, so you knew what it would cost and paid it up front. (Probably part of the GSP.)

I think they made it clear that you might be liable for other charges.

I bought some Europe Garmin maps direct from the USA once around 20 odd years ago as they were much cheaper. The courier demanded £30 on delivery. Because of the exchange rate, I was still better off, just not so much.

Over 60s, go get that jab. Now!
As it happens, my surgery rang me this morning and invited me to go tomorrow (from which I presume it will be the Oxford). This being Wales, my figures tracking tells me that puts me in Group 6 (16+ with risk factor).

What prompted your post?

I had my second vaccine [AZ] last Thursday. I am 56 and not in any 'at risk group'. However, my mother who is 85 and who had her first vaccination jab before me, has not heard anything about her second dose. We are both registered at the same practice. The only reason I can think of is that she her first dose was Pfizer and mine was AZ.

Update:

I did not make this post to gloat and have no desire to offend anyone. It was made to highlight the irregularities of the vaccine rollout. I also did not request the vaccination, but I was not about to refuse it when it was offered.

Last edited:
As it happens, my surgery rang me this morning and invited me to go tomorrow (from which I presume it will be the Oxford).
I had my first AZ just over a week ago. 3 days later, the wife had Pfizer. Same GP vaccination centre. Seems that both are still being used.

Yes, somebody forwarded me the link yesterday, just after my GP had rung:

https://www.nhs.uk/book-a-coronavirus-vaccination/do-you-have-an-nhs-number

I was surprised, because I hadn't heard over-60's (in England) now are on a free-for-all. Not at all sure the same is true for Wales, and I haven't seen that officially yet either. People were exploiting a loop-hole that way at one time, where the "authorities" somehow imagined that if they only sent the link to those who qualified, it wouldn't get into the wild. I presume they will now throw you out of the application if your NHS number doesn't qualify.

I just received a letter in the post telling me to book so I did and I will get jabbed on Friday 6 miles from home at a site a stones throw from where I was already going on Friday to do my weekly food shopping. Cheers Boris.

Yes, somebody forwarded me the link yesterday, just after my GP had rung:

https://www.nhs.uk/book-a-coronavirus-vaccination/do-you-have-an-nhs-number

I was surprised, because I hadn't heard over-60's (in England) now are on a free-for-all. Not at all sure the same is true for Wales, and I haven't seen that officially yet either. People were exploiting a loop-hole that way at one time, where the "authorities" somehow imagined that if they only sent the link to those who qualified, it wouldn't get into the wild. I presume they will now throw you out of the application if your NHS number doesn't qualify.
Yes it clearly states who qualifies and tells you to wait if you do not, you have to enter your NHS number and date of birth before booking. Loads of available am and pm slots available a few minutes apart and Saturdays.

The point of having the 'flu jab is to get it before the winter 'flu season! Fortunately there hasn't been much 'flu about because of Covid restrictions!
And the flu vaccine was offered to more people was because the combination of covid and flu was thought to be deadly.

Yes, less interaction has meant fewer people passing covid19 on, but also fewer passing flu on, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly it does not surprise me that politicians attempt and accept special treatment. I have no respect for most of them at the best of times.
But when it comes to their stupidity even I am sometimes gobsmacked. Seriously?
Covid: Labour suspends Oxford councillor for getting jab 'privately'

We seem to have a rash of people filming themselves breaking the law and posting it on social media for all to see, a live stream of a burglary recently. :confused:
I guess it's a sort of non-fatal Darwin Award entry thing.

And we have just watched the program about Max Clifford. Another case of being honest about what laws you break, just like Saville. Then there was Trump, hiring an ex gangster lawyer to litigate about his law breaking exploits. Putin, the long nosed leader. Bogris, the bare faced brexit liar. Two generations of Maxwells, a royal Prince, liars the lot of them, and that failed billionaire yacht buyer. The CEO who destroys aboriginal sites, then gets a bonus. All the knights of the realm with guilty secrets.

We let them all get away with it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back