Coronavirus Lockdown Chat

I cannot understand how these people think that they can get away with the deceit as the truth will out in the end.
It's the usual story: power corrupts. Then there's a coup to depose the corrupt administration, and then it turns out the new administration is just as corrupt but favours a different set of people.

It's very hard to come up with another scheme, because when the chips are down it is instinctive to favour one's own blood over everybody else. Having plenty gives democracy a chance, but when there isn't enough to go around it becomes them and us.

In a nutshell, that is why woke anti-racism is pie in the sky.

There is remarkably little information about the Wales vaccine roll-out in the news I get to see, but with England opening it up to the 55+ group, Wales appears to be significantly behind (by my reckoning, they're on "16+ with health issues", and won't get to "60+" for another couple of weeks).

As instructed I arrived at the jab center just before my due time to be confronted by a long queue for what would be 3 interviews and an AZ jab, I should not have waited outside in cold for 20 minutes and just gone straight in as time never once got mentioned. First interview done in queue, name number and covid history, queue moved rapidly, second interview done at a desk with the same questions plus date of birth, medications taken, possible side effects and chance to ask any questions. Third interview just confirmation of what was said before whilst getting jabbed. No requirement to wait for 15 minutes just advised not to drive. In and out of the door within half an hour. 3 hours later no known side effects and not even an ache when prodding the jabbed area. All a bit anticlimactic really, a few hazmat suits and an armed guard would have at least given the event some gravitas considering how much panic and detriment Covid has caused us.
I should be so lucky.
I got my letter telling me to book the vaccination. Tried the national website - could only book 20-30 miles away. No good for me, no transport. Tried a local booking site which handles a small vaccination centre about half-a-mile away. Couldn't book any slots. Telephoned the local booking helpline :rolling: . What help? Then I get a text message from GP with a link to a different booking site for my GP's surgery (just turned into a weekend vaccination centre). Managed to book a slot for yesterday. What a farce! Big queue outside. No interviews as such. Get through the door. "Name?", "Change that covering for a surgical mask", "Use the sanitiser", "Stand in queue". Get to next person. "Remove top layers of clothes". Directed to a room - questions about name, DoB, allergies. Roll up sleeve, jab, clear off wait in car park for 15 minutes. Don;t even remember statement about side effects. Just got a photocopied piece of paper (credit-card size) telling me the date and what vaccine used. Fortunately there is a bit more information than this stored in my patient record! Currently no side effects other than a mildly sore arm.

Don;t even remember statement about side effects
I was given a full information sheet, like you would get included in any prescription medicine box. I'll upload it if you like, but you've left out the important detail of which particular jab you were given.

Last edited:
@EEPhil What? didn't you get the heart & crown "I've had my covid vaccination" sticker along with the covid card? Did you have the AZ jab? I asked if I needed to wait for 15 minutes and they said "no it was the other one you need to do that for."
@BH I did a little better than you, no headache or any other aches though my arm now feels bruised to the touch. I was also given a sheet titled COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZenica solution for injection that gave warnings, precautions, possible side effects, how to store and contents with my second interview.

Funny. We were also asked to remove a good quality mask and put on a loose fitting disposable one.

Ha. That happened to me earlier this week when we had to visit a local hospital for blood tests. I was wearing a FFP2 mask and the young upstart 'security guard' asked me to put a surgical mask on. I told him that the one I was wearing offered better protection, but he insisted. I didn't want to cause a fuss so I changed it. As soon as I was out of his sight, I put my FFP2 one back on. I made a point of walking straight passed him on the way out wearing it too!

You sound a little bit p1553d off with the process to me...
Process was rubbish. Getting the jab was a good thing. Was the AZ vaccine.
Something clearly wrong with the system here. Apparently I had the jab at the old Carlton tv studios - I didn’t. A letter was sent to my GP at an address where they haven’t been for at least 10 years. I had the jab at my GP’s building.

I’m sure BH means that the reduction of flu infections is a direct result of the restrictions in place as a result of the Covid pandemic. Wearing face masks, social distancing etc.
Surely those measures would stop covid too.

Here's a further question: why do all those measures reduce heart deaths by about 20%?

Why does the highway authority find it necessary to put out a radio advert (heard on Classic FM) to "go left" if you breakdown on a motorway (turn off if still mobile, or to the hard shoulder/refuge)? Are there drivers who wouldn't realise that???

I was watching The Wall (yeah, I know, nothing much on and I enjoy the answers some people come up with), and the question was "which side do you give way to at a roundabout". Guess what...

Why does the highway authority find it necessary to put out a radio advert (heard on Classic FM) to "go left" if you breakdown on a motorway (turn off if still mobile, or to the hard shoulder/refuge)? Are there drivers who wouldn't realise that???
Unlike, say airline pilots who regularly practice emergency situations and on every flight assess the things that could go wrong at various stages, many people never consider what to do when something fails while driving. So instinctively many will just freeze up in panic and coast to a stop in whichever lane they are in, or else take so long to get their head in gear that they don't have enough momentum left to get over to the side.

Presumably these adverts are meant to prime people to actually think and react faster when something does go wrong. I've no idea if it works and is money well spent.

Pesumably these adverts are meant to prime people to actually think and react faster when something does go wrong. I've no idea if it works and is money well spent.
That's a good point. You can get out of practice or freeze when you don't break down often! That happened to me when I had my 3rd car (it was more reliable than the first two, so I'd adjusted to a well behaved car). Lost power on 3rd lane of a busy motorway and spent what seemed like any eternity trying to decide what to do. Hazards or indicators? When do I drive into the slower lane - bearing in mind I'd lost propulsion and was only coasting. So lots of sweating, swearing, luck and very understanding fellow motorists I drifted to the hard shoulder, darting in front of many including an artic. I was lucky and the other motorist were very cooperative, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to change lanes.

Back