Coronavirus Lockdown Chat

I’m sure BH means that the reduction of flu infections is a direct result of the restrictions in place as a result of the Covid pandemic. Wearing face masks, social distancing etc.

I’m sure BH means that the reduction of flu infections is a direct result of the restrictions in place as a result of the Covid pandemic. Wearing face masks, social distancing etc.
Correct. No social mixing, no colds and 'flu. When was the last time any of us had a cold?

When was the last time any of us had a cold?
Last August. 3 days after going to the supermarket. Avoiding people who come into work streaming germs everywhere is definitely a good thing. Presentee-ism when you're ill is definitely bad for everyone else.

3 days after going to the supermarket.
Well let's hope Covid doesn't attain the transmittability* of the common cold then :eek:

( * my spell-checker thinks this isn't a word. I've tried a few spellings ... :dunno: )

Probably from the nature of the key worker job I do.
Fairy Nuff.
...but that puts your case out-of-bounds.

Last August. 3 days after going to the supermarket.
If you caught a cold from going to the supermarket, that could just as easily have been SARS-CoV-2. Clearly either the measures were inadequate or were inadequately applied.

There is inadequate tracing going on. Statistics show a large percentage of people who tested positive had been to a supermarket, but that must also apply to a large percentage of people who have not contracted Covid so it is not a clear indicator without further data collection and reduction. Nonetheless, for many people a supermarket is the only enclosed public space they have been into, so it does seem likely.

Right at the start of all this I wanted to avoid supermarkets myself (not least to avoid transmitting it to J), but I found getting a delivery impossible and click&collect unsatisfactory (I admit it was early days, but my C&C order ended up whatever was left on the shelves after the public had done their shopping).

All that check-in data at restaurants, attractions, etc was rarely used. If people used the NHS covid app, they could wave their phone in front of the QR code with the phone turned off.

I think supermarkets are a bit of a scapegoat. All the majors have large, ventilated spaces and (now the silly one way systems have gone) most people will spend only seconds in proximity of any other individual and aren't generally in the building for an extended time.
Some higher risk for staff of course.

I think a lot of transmission is just people being stupid. Throughout this lockdown a house in our street have been regularly visited by their children and grandchildren - 3 sets. Maybe they are being responsible and keeping to a bubble of just those 4 families, but ...
When it comes to contact tracing would they admit that or say "Well I went to Tescos"?

As instructed I arrived at the jab center just before my due time to be confronted by a long queue for what would be 3 interviews and an AZ jab, I should not have waited outside in cold for 20 minutes and just gone straight in as time never once got mentioned. First interview done in queue, name number and covid history, queue moved rapidly, second interview done at a desk with the same questions plus date of birth, medications taken, possible side effects and chance to ask any questions. Third interview just confirmation of what was said before whilst getting jabbed. No requirement to wait for 15 minutes just advised not to drive. In and out of the door within half an hour. 3 hours later no known side effects and not even an ache when prodding the jabbed area. All a bit anticlimactic really, a few hazmat suits and an armed guard would have at least given the event some gravitas considering how much panic and detriment Covid has caused us.

Very different experience at my own GP practice! Four well-separated seats in the (cleared of furniure) waiting room, queued outside maybe 10 mins before being asked in when there was room inside. Shown a whiteboard of things to declare, information sheet for Oxford/AZ waiting on seat (I complained we could have had those to be reading in the queue). Then conducted to a consulting room, the GP checked who I was, asked whether I had read the board and had anything to declare or anything else she should be aware of, gave the jab (didn't feel a thing), and chicked out of the back door. Nothing said about not driving.

3 hours later no known side effects and not even an ache when prodding the jabbed area.
Ditto, but next day I had a very minor headache, and other things started aching a bit overnight. Second day was worse (but not bad), and the injection site had a minor ache. Today (third day) I'm fine (can still feel injection site very slightly).

There's a stink brewing in Peru: it seems the health minister said she (I think it's a she) would only have the jab when the public have had theirs, and then it emerged the government and their families had received the jab on the sly weeks before it was generally available!

There's a stink brewing in Peru: it seems the health minister said she (I think it's a she) would only have the jab when the public have had theirs, and then it emerged the government and their families had received the jab on the sly weeks before it was generally available!
So has she already had hers?
Or is she taking the opportunity to shaft the rest of them?

I cannot understand how these people think that they can get away with the deceit as the truth will out in the end.

Someone else must have known that she had been given the vaccine, the person who administered it for one, how much did she pay for their silence? An early inoculation perhaps?

Back