Coronavirus Lockdown Chat

One thing I found hard in the US was that the nearside lane (RH) kept closing at each junction. It was a filter lane into each exit. You were constantly changing lanes.

There is a bit of that on the M42 North of Redditch, with the hard shoulder closing.

One thing I found hard in the US was that the nearside lane (RH) kept closing at each junction. It was a filter lane into each exit. You were constantly changing lanes.
Canada ditto. I like it, because then every on-ramp becomes its own lane and you don't get the jostling with vehicles fighting their way into lanes of live traffic.

Over here, people joining in their own lane are too stupid to read the signs, and try to move over even though they don't need to (and have nothing in front of them).

All you need to do is know what the signs mean. Like the stupid buggers who act all surprised their lane is closing when there have been signs telling them that for the last half mile.

That said, years ago a cyclist went over a close friend's bonnet when pulled up at a tee junction, and picked himself up and left without complaint - so I suspect it was him who was being inattentive!
In this case, you clearly see the car turning in front of the cyclist, who appears uninjured, but I hope he had a check at A&E.

Canada ditto. I like it, because then every on-ramp becomes its own lane and you don't get the jostling with vehicles fighting their way into lanes of live traffic.
I don't think off lanes closing means on lanes doing that. Freeways can sprout extra lanes on the offside, too, or just lose a lane.
Over here, people joining in their own lane are too stupid to read the signs, and try to move over even though they don't need to (and have nothing in front of them).
Agreed.
All you need to do is know what the signs mean. Like the stupid buggers who act all surprised their lane is closing when there have been signs telling them that for the last half mile.
Or the ones who dive for the exit lane at the last moment, some of them starting from the offside lane.

What do you all make of the other European countries and covid vaccines? I know they were late starting, but now they are in full scale panic mode, totally irrational, with infections out of control and dangerous variants out of control too.

Why do the media continue to report the incorrect figure for the number of deaths? Tonight, in the same news, the higher and lower figures were both mentioned separately.

Moving to Northern Ireland sounds attractive. There, they have lockdines! Very civilised.

But their shelves are empty of lots of stuff you might want to eat. Not very civilised.
Blame that on Johnson, for agreeing to a deal that was clearly not going to work, lying about it, now we are stuck with it.

Keeping the border open and leaving the EU was just a contradiction. Why do politicians look at contradictions and think they can resolve them? What part of incompatible do they not understand?

I think that was all said at the time. That particular boat has sailed. It doesn't matter who you blame it on, moving to NI does not sound attractive.

I think that was all said at the time. That particular boat has sailed. It doesn't matter who you blame it on, moving to NI does not sound attractive.
But you cannot erase a contradiction by ignoring it, or hoping it will go away, or blaming it on the EU.

I read an interesting piece by George Osborne a couple of weeks ago in which he believed that few people in Britain would be upset if NI merged with the south. First time I've seen that in print. I expect most are fed up with the Island and their hang ups.

Back