crashing and green screen

As far as I can see, the OP's crash was that fix-disk ran e2fsck on partition 2 of the disk and this hung after running overnight.
thanks for this - however, I bought a new 2tb HDD, put it into the humax - it reformatted it fine and I then scheduled a few recording. It didn't do any as it had crashed again the next time I looked (say 60 mins later).

I have subsequently bought a 2nd hand new Humax as consensus seemed to think that the old machine was dead.

so now I have the following:

a dead Humax
my old 1tb drive (full of recordings which I'd like to keep/play)
my new 2tb drive
a new 2nd hand humax (not yet tested) with a 500gb drive

There's something I don't understand about the old 1tb drive - when it was in the Humax and connected up - I could see all my old recordings. When I hooked it up via SATA to my laptop and ran a Linux reader, I could only see about 50% of my old recordings.

question is what next? what would you do!?

thanks again

hi everyone, here's an update.
so the 2nd hand Humax seems to be working well. Today I had some time so installed custom firmware on to it and have removed the old 500gb HDD.
I have installed the 1TB HDD full of my old recordings.

I think I have a decryption problem:

1. most of my recordings are not playing - when I go to play the file a message is displayed which says "The channel is scrambled or not available."
2. about 80 of my recordings (in one folder) are not listed by name of movie - instead they come up as "family comedy" or "Set in the Jura mountains"
3. Some of those 80 recordings do seem to play - when I look at 'webif' they are the ones with 'dec' (I assume short for decrypted)

so question 1: how do I decrypt the other files?
(I have auto-decrypt installed - and many of the files in the folder with 80 movies are 'queued for decryption' - is it just a case of waiting? the folder has 'recursive decrypt set' as well as 'auto-shrink' and 'auto-dedup' - is this correct?
question 2: for movies not in that folder - do I have to decrypt manually? I see an option in Opt+ to decrypt file by file
question 3: any idea about the ones where the 'name file' has gone - is this a case of manually renaming?
question 4: If I want to install my 2TB drive - what is going to be the easiest way to decrypt and restore those files to the 2tb drive?

thanks again for everyone's help!

Are you able to use the 1st poorly humax box encryption key on the 2nd hand humax so its able to decrypt the recordings ?

update 2:
I just experimented and manually 'decrypted' a file using Opt+ on webif.
it doesn't play, instead it says 'The channel is scrambled or not available'

You need the MAC address and serial number of the first box to set the key on the second box.
Take the first 10 digits from the serial number and prefix each one with a 3, then append the resulting string of 20 digits to the MAC address string (without colons etc.) and enter it in the Encryption key box in the Advanced Setttings section on the Settings page on the WebIf.

Last edited:
thanks for this - i have the original box still and the serial & mac number - but in advanced settings in webif settings - don't see where to input the code? am I being blind? it shows the following:

Show development and advanced packages?
NO

Real-time scheduling?
NO

Rotate logs when they exceed 100 KiB 256 KiB 512 KiB 1 MiB 1.5 MiB 2 MiB

How many rotated logs to keep

Disable telnet menu?
NO

and once I input this code in - will it then set the decryption running?

thanks!

In WebIf go to Settings then Advanced Settings - note sure whethere it will start the decryption running.
What is in the Queue ?

In WebIf go to Settings then Advanced Settings - note sure whethere it will start the decryption running.
What is in the Queue ?
thanks - I can't see anywhere to enter encryption code in 'advanced settings' - and where would I find the 'queue'?

thanks - I can't see anywhere to enter encryption code in 'advanced settings' - and where would I find the 'queue'?
scrub that - I found where to add 'queue' to the icons - and have looked at the queue. They are saying 'recording did not decrypt properly' - still can't see where to put encryption key though!

What version of the webif do you have installed?
Go to 'Packages' page and Upgrade All
thanks - I've updated and accessed browser from an 'incognito' window - so may have been cached sessions and now have access to encryption code

Back