crashing and green screen

The point is that if you want to decrypt recordings made on a different HDR-FOX, you will need the off-line decryption utility available with the beta version of the stripts package, as per the introductory notes in my link above.

The point is that if you want to decrypt recordings made on a different HDR-FOX, you will need the off-line decryption utility available with the beta version of the stripts package, as per the introductory notes in my link above.
thank you - now I have put the encryption key in, it seems to be working - have decrypted and played one of the files.

now, however, all of my files are no longer showing the name of the movie/recording -and are instead showing a description - any thoughts on that? is that recoverable?

also, some of the files have failed to decrypt - it says "could not load .ts file" - do you think that the file has been corrupted and they are lost forever or is there a workaround?

now, however, all of my files are no longer showing the name of the movie/recording -and are instead showing a description - any thoughts on that? is that recoverable?
If this is the result of you losing their .hmt files, you will need to decrypt and then recreate their sidecar files.

also, some of the files have failed to decrypt - it says "could not load .ts file" - do you think that the file has been corrupted and they are lost forever or is there a workaround?
Yes it is possible that they have been corrupted. If the second HDR-FOX T2 went through the decryption process using its native encryption key then that would corrupt, e.g. the recording you tried in post #86 would end up being corrupted, and you would need to transfer from the old HDR-FOX T2's HDD again. E.g. if you transferred via USB into the working HDR-FOX T2 that would corrupt the SD recordings, and also any HD recordings where you had updated the protected-from-decryption flag.

Last edited:
some of the files have failed to decrypt - it says "could not load .ts file" - do you think that the file has been corrupted and they are lost forever or is there a workaround?
It depends. Do you have the undelete (dustbin) package installed and is "Create backup files in dustbin for decrypt and shrink"? set to Yes in the Auto-Processing settings?
If so, it's probably recoverable. You're going to get good/have to learn some file management skills if you're not that technical. I find the easiest way to do it is using the file explorer on a Windows PC, but you need the Samba stuff installed on the Humax.
all of my files are no longer showing the name of the movie/recording -and are instead showing a description - any thoughts on that? is that recoverable?
It's very difficult working blind. You'd need to produce a recursive directory listing from the command line and get it on here somehow.
It sounds like something automated has done it. What packages have you got installed that may do stuff like this? e.g. sweeper, flatten, series-filer etc.
Were they correct previously?

It (almost) goes without saying, that if you are going to experiment with something, you do it on a copy and not on your only original!

If this is the result of you losing their .hmt files, you will need to decrypt and then recreate their sidecar files.
ok - thanks - is there a guide to doing that? I had a quick search, but couldn't find anything

Methinks this is a case of leaping before looking.
100% - I'm fumbling around completely in the dark! Even though I've read your great guides several times, I still can't quite get my head around it all and so it's a definite case of trial and error...
having said that, this is the first time in a year that the kids have been able to watch a movie from start to finish from a Humax - and having tested a bunch of them, it appears that the movies on the old drive are at least playing
so, definitely not elegant but progress!

Yes it is possible that they have been corrupted. If the second HDR-FOX T2 went through the decryption process using its native encryption key then that would corrupt, e.g. the recording you tried in post #86 would end up being corrupted, and you would need to transfer from the old HDR-FOX T2's HDD again. E.g. if you transferred via USB into the working HDR-FOX T2 that would corrupt the SD recordings, and also any HD recordings where you had updated the protected-from-decryption flag.
I transplanted the old HDD into the new Humax - and then decrypted it from there. Would that make a difference?

I transplanted the old HDD into the new Humax - and then decrypted it from there. Would that make a difference?
Any recordings that were decrypted between transplanting he old HDD and updating the 'Custom encryption key' on the newly owned HDR-FOX T2 will be corrupted.

It depends. Do you have the undelete (dustbin) package installed and is "Create backup files in dustbin for decrypt and shrink"? set to Yes in the Auto-Processing settings?
If so, it's probably recoverable. You're going to get good/have to learn some file management skills if you're not that technical. I find the easiest way to do it is using the file explorer on a Windows PC, but you need the Samba stuff installed on the Humax.

It's very difficult working blind. You'd need to produce a recursive directory listing from the command line and get it on here somehow.
It sounds like something automated has done it. What packages have you got installed that may do stuff like this? e.g. sweeper, flatten, series-filer etc.
Were they correct previously?

It (almost) goes without saying, that if you are going to experiment with something, you do it on a copy and not on your only original!
I can't remember if I installed this - for some reason my webif browser is not showing my packages:package.JPG

I do have an old 'backup' - but that back up was copied from the 1tb hdd directly via Linux reader - but I don't think it copied across all the files.

so, I'm assuming I must have done something / installed something which has deleted all the files which have the names.

not sure whether I should try and restore the old back up files or just rename the files manually!

First thing first - lets get the webif working properly first, so we know what is/is not installed,
It is not worth attempting decryption until you have a stable platform to work on.

Does the Check for Updates, Upgrade All buttons appear to be working (pop up a progress box)?
Are there any messages in webif-error.log on the diagnostics page?

Of course it does. The encryption on each HDR-FOX is unique, and decryption is the inverse process of encryption so that is also unique. X encrypted by HDR1 then decrypted by HDR1 equals X. X encrypted by HDR1 then decrypted by HDR2 does not equal X. It is possible, but will not be straightforward, to unscramble the resulting mess (IIRC decryption is not the identical process of encryption - if it were that would make things easier). Tools have been written to decrypt rather than re-encrypt. I recommend you write those files off.

You also need to concern yourself with having installed a custom encryption key. That alters the behaviour of the HDR-FOX as a whole, so new recordings will use the new encryption key and old (if still encrypted) recordings become no longer accessible. The way around this would have been to use off-line decryption of the imported files rather than installing a different key on the HDR. The beta stripts can sort this out on the command line (off-line decryption).

None of this is very technical, you just need to think clearly about what you are doing with the knowledge that an encrypted file from one HDR-FOX cannot be decrypted by another HDR-FOX without taking special measures, and that was very clearly signposted in Things Every... (click) section 5. The solution most of us here employ is to ensure all new recordings are decrypted as soon as possible (using the machine that encrypted them), and then the are no problems with moving the recordings to other HDR-FOXes (or other media players).

for some reason my webif browser is not showing my packages:
This does not look good.

you just need to think clearly about what you are doing
Or ask first if you are not 100% clear.
Trouble is that it is easy to 'get it straight in your mind' when 'straight' is actually 'bent'.
Bin the ones that you have already decrypted on the wrong box or whatever, say to yourself three times "It's only telly and it will be on catchup sometime", and ' breath'.

It is possible, but will not be straightforward, to unscramble the resulting mess (IIRC decryption is not the identical process of encryption - if it were that would make things easier). Tools have been written to decrypt rather than re-encrypt. I recommend you write those files off.
"Someone" could create a utility that would encrypt using box2's key. That does need thinking about because not all of each packet is encrypted. Where a packet has been encrypted on box1 and decrypted (wrongly) on box2 it is possible some of the information required is not readily available. It's an interesting problem. Not sure I want to look at it or offer any hope of recovery!
It's only telly
:rolling:

thanks everyone - installed packages have now reappeared - I pressed check for updates and then when I clicked again on 'installed' - they reappeared!

Here's what I have (with version number next to it):
anacron 2.3-2
at 3.1.18
auto-unprotect 2.0.2
betaftpd 0.0.8pre17-4
busybox 1.20.2-1
bzip2 1.0.4
chasedecrypt 0.1.0-0
chaseget 0.1.2-1
cifs 2.6.18
cron-daemon 1.18.3-4
curl-command 1.0.0
dbupdate 1.0.0
e2fsprogs 1.42.13
epg 1.2.8
exfat 1.2.6
fan 1.0.0
ffmpeg 2.8-1
file 5.0.4
fuse 2.7.6-1
hmt 2.0.10
hwctl 1.0.0
id3v2 0.1.11-1
inotify-tools 3.14
ir 1.13
jim 0.77
jim-binary 0.76
jim-cgi 0.7-1
jim-oo 0.77
jim-sqlite3 0.77-1
jim-xconv 1.0.0
lamemp3 3.98.4
libpcre 8.37-1
libreadline 6.2-1
libxconv 1.0.2
lighttpd 1.4.39-1
lsof 4.87
mplayer 32726
multienv 1.7-1
mvdisks 0.3
ncurses 5.9
nicesplice 1.8
ntfs-3g 2013.1.13-4
nugget 0.99-1
openssl-command 1.0.0.d
opkg-beta 1.1
procps 3.2.8-3
recmon 2.2.1-1
rsvsync 1.1.12-1
samba 2.2.12-6
service-control 2.5
sqlite3 3.23.0
ssmtp 2.64
stripts 1.4.3
swapper 1.0.1
tcpfix 1.0.0
tcpping 1.1
tmenu 1.22
trm 1.1
tweak 1.0
virtual-disk2 2.0-2
webif 1.4.4-5
webif-channelicons 1.1.27
webif-charts 1.3
wireless-tools 29-1
zeroconf 1.5-2
anacron 2.3-2
at 3.1.18
auto-unprotect 2.0.2
betaftpd 0.0.8pre17-4
busybox 1.20.2-1
bzip2 1.0.4
chasedecrypt 0.1.0-0
chaseget 0.1.2-1
cifs 2.6.18
cron-daemon 1.18.3-4
curl-command 1.0.0
dbupdate 1.0.0
e2fsprogs 1.42.13
epg 1.2.8
exfat 1.2.6
fan 1.0.0
ffmpeg 2.8-1
file 5.0.4
fuse 2.7.6-1
hmt 2.0.10
hwctl 1.0.0
id3v2 0.1.11-1
inotify-tools 3.14
ir 1.13
jim 0.77
jim-binary 0.76
jim-cgi 0.7-1
jim-oo 0.77
jim-sqlite3 0.77-1
jim-xconv 1.0.0
lamemp3 3.98.4
libpcre 8.37-1
libreadline 6.2-1
libxconv 1.0.2
lighttpd 1.4.39-1
lsof 4.87
mplayer 32726
multienv 1.7-1
mvdisks 0.3
ncurses 5.9
nicesplice 1.8
ntfs-3g 2013.1.13-4
nugget 0.99-1
openssl-command 1.0.0.d
opkg-beta 1.1
procps 3.2.8-3
recmon 2.2.1-1
rsvsync 1.1.12-1
samba 2.2.12-6
service-control 2.5
sqlite3 3.23.0
ssmtp 2.64
stripts 1.4.3
swapper 1.0.1
tcpfix 1.0.0
tcpping 1.1
tmenu 1.22
trm 1.1
tweak 1.0
virtual-disk2 2.0-2
webif 1.4.4-5
webif-channelicons 1.1.27
webif-charts 1.3
wireless-tools 29-1
zeroconf 1.5-2

Unfortunately, I don't have undelete installed - so that option is not available to me.

I haven't yet started recording anything new to the new Humax.

here is how my humax is displaying current files (from webif)
files.JPG

and

files2.JPG
Just to recap - here's where I'd like to end up:

since I've bought my 2tb drive, I'd like to install the new 2TB drive into the new (2nd hand) Humax and be able to play the previous recordings from my old 1TB drive (ideally with the names of the movies/recordings - or I can go through each one and rename it I suppose?).
I'd then like to be able to record new movies/tv and be able to easily back them up in the future!

I'd be very grateful for a idiot's step by step guide to the best way to do this!
Thanks again!

You have got decrypt switched on with both those folders!

As MymsMan stated:
First thing first - lets get the webif working properly first, so we know what is/is not installed,
It is not worth attempting decryption until you have a stable platform to work on.

URGENT
I would turn OFF the auto shrink, autodeup, autodecrypt and recursive autodecrypt folder flags until you are certain that everything is working correctly on single recordings first.
You don't want hundreds of recordings failing before you have got the set up correct.
Take baby steps not big leaps

Go to Queue display page and Select all recordings and delete Selected to clear all that are awaiting processing.

Once you have done that you can start to look at individual recordings and turn things on selectively

Once you have stopped all current work in the queue you can start preparing to start testing with individual files.
  • Check Queue display and there is nothing queued for decryption
  • Install the Undelete package
  • Uninstall Chasedecrypt and Chaseget packages - they are unnecessary for basic decryption and a distraction
  • Check Custom encryption key in advanced settings Exactly matches the Native encryption key of the old Humax
  • Check Create backup files in dustbin for decrypt and shrink? is YES in Auto processing setting
  • For recordings that already have DEC flag - can you view them on TV?
  • In Browse choose a smallish, unimportant recording that doesn't yet have the DEC flag
    • Select it by clicking on the check box in Browse
    • Click on Queue for decryption at bottom of page
    • Wait for it to process
    • Check Queue display to ensure it completed successfully
    • In Browse check that it now has DEC icon
    • Check you can watch recording on TV
    • Repeat for a few more recordings
Once you are comfortable that individual recording are decrypting OK
  • Record a programme on the new box, decrypt as above
  • Set auto-decrypt flag for a single folder with not too many recordings in it
  • Check all recording decrypt OK and and are viewable
Only If that all goes OK
  • Set Create backup files in dustbin for decrypt and shrink? is NO in Auto processing setting
  • Set Recursive Auto decrypt on for the My Video folder
  • Leave box on overnight to process the backlog
  • If all is OK then you can turn autoshrink and other options as needed

... If the second HDR-FOX T2 went through the decryption process using its native encryption key then that would corrupt, e.g. the recording you tried in post #86 would end up being corrupted, and you would need to transfer from the old HDR-FOX T2's HDD again. E.g. if you transferred via USB into the working HDR-FOX T2 that would corrupt the SD recordings, and also any HD recordings where you had updated the protected-from-decryption flag.
So is it the case that decryption with the wrong key can go undetected, resulting in effectively a double-enncrypted file,
  1. with the T2 hardware-assisted decryption invoked through the DLNA server?
  2. with the T2 hardware-assisted decryption invoked through USB copy?
  3. with the software-based decryption using stripts (eg v1.4.3)?
In the third case the program is capable of checking the key against the recording, so I expect that answer to be no.

URGENT
I would turn OFF the auto shrink, autodeup, autodecrypt and recursive autodecrypt folder flags until you are certain that everything is working correctly on single recordings first.
You don't want hundreds of recordings failing before you have got the set up correct.
Take baby steps not big leaps

Go to Queue display page and Select all recordings and delete Selected to clear all that are awaiting processing.

Once you have done that you can start to look at individual recordings and turn things on selectively
thanks for this - I have turned off all packages you mentioned on the folders and deleted all the recordings in the queue

Back