Custom firmware uptake

af123

Administrator
Staff member
I recently saw some questions about the number of people running the custom firmware so did some quick analysis of the hummypkg logs. This graph shows the number of initial firmware bootstraps (full webif installation) per month since the April 2011 launch.

uptake.png

Some of the figures will be slightly inflated because anyone who does a complete CFW reset and reinstall will be counted twice, but that should be a small percentage. On the other hand, the few people that have installed the web interface bundle via USB will not be counted.

Assuming that everyone who has installed it has left it on and not subsequently removed it, then the total number of devices running CFW is now over 10000!

uptake2.png

Note: These images have been updated to include more months since the thread was originally posted.

Good estimate - it's 4,791 altogether, have updated the first post to include that.

Someone was saying recently that the CF was probably used by a small percentage of total owners, I would say it's not so small. Does any one have any idea of total Humax ownership in the U.K.? I would be very interested in knowing the figures

Someone was saying recently that the CF was probably used by a small percentage of total owners, I would say it's not so small. Does any one have any idea of total Humax ownership in the U.K.? I would be very interested in knowing the figures

~25 million TV licences, even if 1% of them have a Humax box then that's 250,000 putting CFW uptake at around 0.5%..
No way of knowing the number of boxes out there though and, as we know, some people have more than one : )

I've updated the chart in post 1 to differentiate between HDR and HD models.

I've updated the chart in post 1 to include data for December and January.

It would be interesting to see this being kept up to date, perhaps on a monthly basis.

About two months ago I asked Barry (in another Forum) how many HDRs and HDs have been sold in the U.K., so a percentage of units with Custom Firmware could be calculated, But I got no answer :(

About two months ago I asked Barry (in another Forum) how many HDRs and HDs have been sold in the U.K., so a percentage of units with Custom Firmware could be calculated, But I got no answer :(
I don't think we can even begin to guess!
500o-odd units running custom is a nice statistic though.

@Brian - yes, I plan to keep it up-to-date.

It's interesting to note that we have 2593 members, and 5563 boxes running CF so that's an average of just over 2 boxes per member.:)
I suspect that rather a lot of these boxes are owned by non Hummy.tv forum members, perhaps you should only make the CF available to Hummy.tv members, then we would probably gain a lot of new members from certain other forums.;)

That's a surprisingly low number, I wonder why the other 4000+ boxes are not linked up.

I can account for one!

I suspect there is a huge number of HDRs out there. I overheard a conversation the other week (older age group) and out of two couples and two singles there were three HDRs. From what I could gather the ability to record two programmes simultaneously was key.

But you can record two programmes simultaneously with almost all pvr's, certainly all of the models I have owned, starting with the Thomson DHD 4000.

Back