Customised Firmware 2.12 (for 1.0.20/29)

No, because humax made some key file system changes after .20 if I remember right.
The reason we can do the shortcut route from .28 is that the only real thing that is changing is the humaxtv app (from my educated guesswork) and the cf includes this file but excludes some other stuff from the official file to save space and make the flash quicker.
Remember .27 added the new remote notification gfx..

I'm sure af can explain it in more detail if needed.

the first info here: wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads is now lies.

I don’t think you are expressing opinions that many would share, In #12 you make the statement that ‘there is no actual short-cut’ when the author and an independent tester says there is, and you then follow this up by saying the Wiki contains lies, which implies deliberate deception. You obviously didn’t get the message in #1, I would suggest that the majority for the users it was aimed at, did.

true if you are a regular reader of the CF threads I think you would know the difference between 1.02.28 and 1.02.29 is very very minimal. I read #1 and followed the upgrade path in the table and thats it. I dont understand what all the furore is about.

I'm being selectively quoted - I prefixed my comment with "if I am reading this right".

Furore? Perhaps, I didn't mean to create one, sorry if I have. The problem as I see it is that I don't understand what's going on from what's been written, if I don't then I presume there are others who will not, and nobody so far has made a clear statement to resolve the matter. If anything the confusion has got worse.

The info I referred to on the Wiki says you must load the official firmware before the custom firmware, but now we are told you can get away (under certain circumstances) with only loading the custom firmware, so "must" is no longer true - hence what I referred to as a lie. You cannot deny there is a contradiction.

If there is a message I didn't get, it is because the message has not been articulated in a way that is not open to misinterpretation. Perhaps some of you don't get it either, you just don't know you don't get it.

varkanoid - your post stated you updated with the official 1.02.29 before installing the CF, whereas the Wiki table says you didn't need to, so I don't get your comment. This illustrates what I am saying. Another poster said his Humax rejected the CF until he updated with the official firmware first - how do we explain this?

I apologise for banging on about this, but I really don't think the loose ends have been tied up. I don't want to write something myself because I don't have the understanding.

BH, the shortcut was only just announced by af123.. the wiki just needs updating a little.
All the info you need for now is in this thread!

As a significant change to a well-established procedure, I think the 'short-cut' was a little ill-advised, especially as the original instructions were ambiguous. I may well have been reading without due care and attention, but my initial understanding was:
Standard procedure: run prepare-for-upgrade; upgrade manufacture's firmware; upgrade CF
Shortcut procedure: omit diagnostic; upgrade manufacture's firmware; upgrade CF

In my case, no harm seems to have been done - I don't use redring etc. Also, it seems that any adverse effects of effectively running the manufacturer's upgrade twice can be remedied by running fix-flash-packages. Nothing much to get exercised about, but I would urge sticking with the established method in future. Old habits die hard.

BH, I agree with you, but chill a little.

it seems that any adverse effects of effectively running the manufacturer's upgrade twice can be remedied by running fix-flash-packages.

I can't find fix-flash-packages, which I think I need to run because I upgraded to the Humax software, and then the custom, resulting in some custom feaatures not working (e.g. portal-xtra-1, and schedule backups recorded as being done when the Humax is in standby and not recording). I got portal-xtra-1 working by uninstalling it and reinstalling, but I want to run fix-flash-packages to fix anything else, so where is it please?

Just enter the "fix-flash-packages" text without quotes, into the webif diagnostics box (after deleting "general") and click "Run Diagnostic".

I still don't think post 1 makes it clear enough that 1.02.29 (or 1.02.20) is contained within the custom version, so that loading 1.12/1.02.29 gets you 1.02.29 plus the CF in one hit.

part of the official 1.02.29 is included in the custom version (necessarily - I would prefer that it wasn't required). The parts that aren't included are unchanged between 1.02.27, .28 & .29 which is why you can switch between those versions without using the official update. You can actually also freely switch between CF2.12/1.02.29 and CF2.12/1.02.20 as long as the last official version you installed was >=1.02.27.

Is it the case that you could actually take a HD/HDR-FOX in any state, install CF 2.12/1.02.29 and end up with a fully updated and CFed box?

No. You could end up with a kernel/user-space mismatch (which would probably work fine).

varkanoid - your post stated you updated with the official 1.02.29 before installing the CF, whereas the Wiki table says you didn't need to, so I don't get your comment. This illustrates what I am saying. Another poster said his Humax rejected the CF until he updated with the official firmware first - how do we explain this?

The Wiki table says I do need to

I was on CFW 2.10 and firmware 1.0.2.27 therefore if I am reading this right;) I am current version : CFW other.

ergo
CFW other Run prepare_for_upgrade diagnostic (see note below).
Download and install official 1.02.29
Download and install CFW 2.12/1.02.29

Therefore I followed the procedure correctly as written.

chill a little.

The short cut instructions which I read on Sunday seemed clear to me and a welcome upgrade path. I don't see why people are getting their knickers in such a twist.. it's not as if any harm has been done.

As a significant change to a well-established procedure, I think the 'short-cut' was a little ill-advised, especially as the original instructions were ambiguous. I may well have been reading without due care and attention, but my initial understanding was:
Standard procedure: run prepare-for-upgrade; upgrade manufacture's firmware; upgrade CF
Shortcut procedure: omit diagnostic; upgrade manufacture's firmware; upgrade CF.

That's how I read it too on Saturday. Having a line that said if you are currently on 1.02.28 you can upgrade to 1.02.29 and load the latest customer software by simply installing the latest custom software, would have made more sense.

So I can upgrade my wife's HDR from 1.02.28 with CW to 1.02.29 with CW by installing the latest firmware ONLY.

Hopefully the new upgrade procedure matrix on the Wiki is clearer (please let me know if not!)

So I can upgrade my wife's HDR from 1.02.28 with CW to 1.02.29 with CW by installing the latest firmware ONLY.

I'm not sure if you are asking or just re-stating it, but yes you can!

AF, is it possible to add a reinstall button next to the remove button on the Installed Packages page and dedicated buttons on the diagnostics page for Prepare_For_Upgrade and Fix_Flash_Packages. It would save looking up the routines to run them.

hi,
i need help i've got the same issue as last time my 3g provider t-mobile doesn't allow zippyshare i get a 500 server error message so i can't download the new custom firmware
a kind soul uploaded it for me onto the forum server last time so i could download it if someone could do the same again i'd be greatful
i woud like the HD_FOX_T2_1.02.29_mod_2.12 version please
thanks in advance.

Back