Customised HDF file released

This is a nice firmware, loving the web interface EPG :)

https:// and auto-updating of packages would be the icing on the cake, for me at least.

Could someone possibly open this up to people who know little about computing. EG in the OP it states

"Installing a package is easy now:" and then there is a box full of code but nothing at all about where you are supposed to type this?

And most of the other ideas are completely alien like FTP, Telnet Server, Local Repository etc. I don't know if I have them or what they would be used for or if I need them. And this is supposed to be the main info post?!?

I would really really like unencrypted recordings but if this is the easiest 'How to...' then I'm sure there are lots of people out there, who don't know a lot about computing, that read the OP and just know they are out of their depth and go no further.

There are easy to follow instructions, and the customised firmware downloads HERE in the Wiki, this would be a good place to start.

Sorry if I've missed this somewhere - but have the OTA updates been hacked to prevent them and is there an idiots guide to stopping them yet?
thanks

Sorry if I've missed this somewhere - but have the OTA updates been hacked to prevent them and is there an idiots guide to stopping them yet?
thanks

No, The OTA will not be prevented, But as the Custom Firmware carries the same ID as the official firmware it will not be over-written unless a newer version is OTA'ed e.g. newer than 1:02:20, In this case we would need a new Custom Version to go on top of it

thanks
No, I don't think that there is a way to stop OTA updates, but as these are so infrequent, they should not be a problem.

Could someone possibly open this up to people who know little about computing.

#1 of this thread was written over 8 Months ago, Things have really moved on since then. As Brian points out the WIKI carries the latest info. without having to read all 500+ posts

And best of all, anyone is free to update the Wiki to help expand and clarify it.

Well I looked at the Wiki and somebody still isn't getting this.

Eg lets start at the very beginning. For the HD FOX T2 in the Yellow header box it says "Flash devices must be formatted in EXT2" while in the second Bullet it says "the root of a FAT32 USB Flash". If people are managing to do this they obviously know the basics about EXT2 or FAT32 and don't need to ask. Other people like me read that and fall at pretty much the first hurdle. I mean how much damage could be caused by using the wrong format?

I would not have bothered trying to install a web interface because I would think surfing with a Humax remote control would be rubbish, but out of curiosity, I looked and saw this was an essential Part 2 of the installation.

If I try to do this - just to get unencrypted content - if it goes bad is there a way to 'undo it'?

Well I looked at the Wiki and somebody still isn't getting this.

Eg lets start at the very beginning. For the HD FOX T2 in the Yellow header box it says "Flash devices must be formatted in EXT2" while in the second Bullet it says "the root of a FAT32 USB Flash". If people are managing to do this they obviously know the basics about EXT2 or FAT32 and don't need to ask. Other people like me read that and fall at pretty much the first hurdle. I mean how much damage could be caused by using the wrong format?
BlackHole maybe along later to point you to some more documentation but in the mean time...

This Wiki section probably needs clarification. For the HD-Fox-T2 you initially need a FAT32 formatted flash drive to program the firmware. Once this has been done you then need either a USB connected hard drive formatted to EXT3 by the box or an EXT2 formatted flash drive. In the Wiki paragraph where it says "Reconnect the USB device" is where you should change from using a FAT32 formatted device to that mentioned in the yellow box.

I would not have bothered trying to install a web interface because I would think surfing with a Humax remote control would be rubbish, but out of curiosity, I looked and saw this was an essential Part 2 of the installation.

The web interface is accessed from your PC over the network so you can use a keyboard/mouse.

If I try to do this - just to get unencrypted content - if it goes bad is there a way to 'undo it'?
If you are using the HD-Fox-T2 then to undo it, you can just reload the original Humax firmware file and disconnect the external USB drive.

OldSchool:- Maybe I'm not as full of Christmas Sprirt as I should be, but I'm not sure you are wording your questions in the best manor to get a good responce, You are not going the right way to get people to help you. Everyone that contributes to this forum does so because they want to help others, They don't have to respond at all.

BlackHole maybe along later to point you to some more documentation but in the mean time...

I hope that's not a bad thing!

OldSchool - have you got an HDR-FOX T2 or a HD-FOX T2? Everything is VERY EASY for an HDR-FOX T2, you don't have to worry about a thing... and what makes it easy is the use of the web interface. You cannot control the custom facilities through the normal remote control, we have no means to do it, but the user interface through the web interface is highly developed. Installation is a two-stage process, first you add the "hooks" that are needed through an unofficial firmware update, and then you access it through a web browser on your home network to download and install the full software, and choose what facilities you wish to use as "packages".

The HD-FOX is a little more of an issue. What you can do with it is limited, and as it has no storage it is necessary to add some, but as there is little point using the custom software unless you intend to record, you will already have fitted a USB hard drive and used the Humax to format it. Once that is done you can carry on and install as per for the HDR-FOX - the Humax-formatted hard drive is what you need (Ext3). Warnings about needing to format a USB stick as Ext2 refer to the case where a very few people (ie me) need a few custom facilities but do not need a hard drive.

The problem with documentation is that this project has developed very rapidly over a period of 6 months, and what was written early on has been superseded with new easier interfaces etc etc. I have done a lot of support with technical writing, but my efforts have been concentrated in the forum and not the wiki, and I don't suppose I'm going to catch up now. I'm also not very familiar with what is in the wiki. But that is the nature of a community project like this: the clever bods make the progress in the coding, and the rest of us observe, marvel, and follow in their wake. The documentation (what there is of it) will always be behind, and the cutting edge information is disseminated through conversation. Keep reading the forum posts as they come along, not necessarily replying to anything, and soon you will know as much as the rest of us.

And now I will mention what the sarcastic comments were about: to get a background understanding (and I know it's tedious to do homework), I do recommend reading the Glossary and the Trail Guide, and to look for existing information through the Index - all of which can be found through NEW READERS START HERE (click).

The problem with documentation is that this project has developed very rapidly over a period of 6 months, and what was written early on has been superceded with new easier interfaces etc etc.

I hate to do this to you.;)
s/superceded/superseded/

Back