Customised HDF file released

No you don't, you love it! I am dumbstruck with that one - "superseded" does not look right to me, and surely it comes from the same root as "succeed"? However, I can't argue with the dictionary.

Further research indicates it's a lesser crime against modern English.

Hello again. Further to your pointing me to the useful threads for custom firmware installation for the HDR I just cannot get it to work. I have read the thread re usb stick problems and have tried all the ones I own (about 4) in front and rear (so to speak). I've formatted and even "zero written" most of them. Is there an alternative method such as copying off the sub and then running software from the internal HDD? Any help appreciated.

I have had occasions when the upgrade wouldn't work and it was because I hadn't renamed the file exactly.
Check that first.

What is the name of the file that you are trying to use?

The downloaded file must be renamed before use.

Is there an alternative method such as copying off the sub and then running software from the internal HDD?

No, sorry. We have to tap into the Humax' native firmware update process, and that is triggered by it detecting the proper file name and having specific codes in the data, in a root file on the USB (I guess that could even be an external HDD if you like), at boot.

Have you ever successfully updated the official firmware by the USB process? It's only a case of doing the same thing but with a different file (of the same name).

(These instructions are specifically for the HDR-FOX T2, the HD-FOX isn't quite the same)

1. Make sure the HDR is running the latest official firmware (currently 1.02.20).
2. Make sure you have obtained the custom firmware file for the HDR not the HD-FOX, and for the correct version of the official firmware.
3. Copy the custom .hdf file to the root directory of a FAT32 USB stick (preferably empty but not essential), and make certain it is named "hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf" on the stick.
4. Plug the stick into the HDR and reboot (if rebooting by going in and out of stand-by, give it 30 seconds before turning on again).
5. If the firmware update process does not start, try another stick.

If you have done all that precisely, and still unsuccessfully, we'll have to think again.

No, sorry. We have to tap into the Humax' native firmware update process, and that is triggered by it detecting the proper file name and having specific codes in the data, in a root file on the USB (I guess that could even be an external HDD if you like), at boot.

Have you ever successfully updated the official firmware by the USB process? It's only a case of doing the same thing but with a different file (of the same name).

(These instructions are specifically for the HDR-FOX T2, the HD-FOX isn't quite the same)

1. Make sure the HDR is running the latest official firmware (currently 1.02.20).
2. Make sure you have obtained the custom firmware file for the HDR not the HD-FOX, and for the correct version of the official firmware.
3. Copy the custom .hdf file to the root directory of a FAT32 USB stick (preferably empty), and make certain it is named "hd_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf" on the stick.
4. Plug the stick into the HDR and reboot (if rebooting by going in and out of stand-by, give it 30 seconds before turning on again).

If you have done all that precisely, and still unsuccessfully, we'll have to think again.

Sorry I hadn't appreciated I had to drop all the version numbering out of the name ! I will try that and hopefully will be able to report back asap on success... fingers crossed

3. Copy the custom .hdf file to the root directory of a FAT32 USB stick (preferably empty), and make certain it is named "hd_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf" on the stick.

I think that you mean hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf.;)

Spotted the HDR error. Changed the filename and all loaded successfully. Thanks both for the guidance. Just need to have a play with the packages now! Cheers

That's good to hear, have you installed the Web Interface OK?
Yes thanks. Web interface in and a few packages too. I'm mainly interested in de-crypting HD and streaming that to other networked devices. I've been directed to xbmc previously but even with the auto unprotect now installed it appears I still need to copy using the virtual drive facility before I can stream HD content; unless I'm mistaken.

I think I may like flatten too.

We don't have anything on a PC that will stream the HiDef content. If you have given auto-unprotect time to run, files will be available to download via the Web Interface - and then when you have them stored locally Splash Player Lite will play them.

Yes thanks. Web interface in and a few packages too. I'm mainly interested in de-crypting HD and streaming that to other networked devices. I've been directed to xbmc previously but even with the auto unprotect now installed it appears I still need to copy using the virtual drive facility before I can stream HD content; unless I'm mistaken.

I think I may like flatten too.
Have you read This Thread which is about streaming to a PC?

Back