Customised HDF file released

ftp, whatever that is??
FTP and Telnet are explained briefly in the Glossary (click), Black Hole's Trail Guide (click) explains in simple terms what to do with them, and the Index (click) points you at more links to FTP info. I put effort into those hoping we wouldn't get into this situation. And there's the Wiki too.

I realise this is flogging a dead horse, but I raise the options (again) for any other interested party who comes this way.

NEW READERS START HERE (click)

thanks but no thanks, i'll reflash it to standard and stick with that, cheers for trying but telnet looks well beyond my capabilities!

Hmm. I've just updated both my systems to 1.17, HDR was fine but the HD has frozen at programming 100% and the standby button doesn't do anything.

Oh dear. I pressed the reset tit and after reboot the download page was still up, "OTA Start" and then "Error: E-OS". I'm not sure what time the HD-FOX thinks it is, the time set functions haven't been doing anything to save my iPlayer lately. I shall try an official reflash and keep fingers crossed...

Phew! Second time around OK.

Now then, I have a suggestion with regard to "publishing" the firmware updates. Once I have downloaded a pair of update hdf files, I convert them to zips of the same file name. Then inside the zip I rename the file to the correct form for the update - the zip wrapper tells me what the file is, and the file inside the zip is ready to go. So to actually do an update (official or custom) I copy a ready-to-roll .hdf out of the relevant zip folder onto a stick.

My suggestion is this: if the file as published for download was already a zip packaged in this way, people wouldn't have the error prone process of renaming it.

Good idea, I can do that for future updates.
Glad your HD is working again!

tried reboot without stick in and it seems to have worked now thanks

its now on the downloading and installing screen, hope its been worth the wait!

thanks again for help and patience provided over the weeks that this has been dragging on!!

That's good news :)

Now it is working, I think it would be a good idea to delete the reset_1.0.0_mipsel.opk file from the USB stick. If you were to plug it into the Hummy again with that file, the settings for the mod packages would be deleted and they would all have to downloaded again.

I have an idea. When the custom firmware installs, how about creating a [mod_state=2.12] folder in My Video, then there is something to see that new users can confirm. It could be read-only. Inside [mod_state] there could be some diagnostic status dummy folders, like [content_share=on], [standard_ftp=off], [betaftp=on] etc which would give us a quick way to check and advise.

Although I do think a Custom Firmware status page is a good idea, someone is bound to complain about the 'My Video' folder being cluttered-up with stuff they don't want to see every day, so it would be better if is was normally hidden but still available via the Remote Control, however I don't have any suggestions as to how this could be done - but maybe af123 has?

I have been further thinking it might be possible (in a simplified way) to control the custom facilities sufficiently for a non-connected system, much like automount.

Although I do think a Custom Firmware status page is a good idea, someone is bound to complain about the 'My Video' folder being cluttered-up with stuff they don't want to see every day, so it would be better if is was normally hidden but still available via the Remote Control, however I don't have any suggestions as to how this could be done - but maybe af123 has?

I think I would find this a bit annoying. If it isn't possible (or desirable) to manipulate the Humax GUI, then it would be better to just display things in WebIF. I believe it does show the firmware version there anyway, and it also now shows it on the matrix display, which is nice. Personally I'd prefer to have the auto-mount configuration done through the GUI rather than having to make folders with specific names, but I'm not complaining at all - at the end of the day someone else has gone to the trouble of writing the tool in their own spare time for free, so I can only thank them for their efforts.

I have an idea. When the custom firmware installs, how about creating a [mod_state=2.12] folder in My Video, then there is something to see that new users can confirm. It could be read-only. Inside [mod_state] there could be some diagnostic status dummy folders, like [content_share=on], [standard_ftp=off], [betaftp=on] etc which would give us a quick way to check and advise.
How about adding this information to the custom TV portal. That way we can look it up when required but not keep seeing it when scanning through recordings.

That's an optional install. Not a lot of good when when some newbie says "why isn't this that or the other working?". Could just create the folder on initial install, and then if you don't want it there delete it never to return. At least it would persist long enough to get somebody over teething trouble.

A full blown control panel via the custom portal would be great, but still with the problem of interpreting input.

I'm following the discussion with interest... I can't think of a good solution at the moment yet.

How about a new flag in the webif: Newbie mode.

Default it to on which would create the folders in My Video as suggested, then when Newbie mode is off, remove the folders - simple.

If this setting could persist, like the others do (after upgrades I mean), then once everyone has turned it off, they would never see them again.

Granted, all the existing users would need to turn it off, but there's no way around that..

Also, you could make the front page of the webif have an in your face warning to shout at the user that Newbie mode is on, and a nice message underneath explaining the point of it so the Newbies don't just automatically turn it off - defeating the purpose of it.

One of the folders in My Video should say something like - [ Visit hummy.tv/wiki/Newbie for more details ] - to give them a pointer should they really not have a clue what someone has installed on their box. :D

Nice idea, but would that mean no magic folders before the full install? I was thinking as soon as the firmware element had been booted. Maybe the WebIF setting deletes them afterwards?

Back