Customised HDF file released

Also worth pointing out to other HD owners, it should be fairly easy now to set up a similar "dual boot" system, where you can optionally boot temporarily into "HDR mode" from disk to remove encryption from recordings. None of the dangerous reflashing that has caught me out involved :) I'll try and put something together in the next few days, but I now can't test it fully due to my schizophrenic box! Fancy testing it for me Trevor / moppet?
I'll happily test this, would be great to be able to unencrypt some stuff as I have 2 HD boxes with some duplicate stuff

To af123 : I've just installed your modified firmware on my HDR-Fox T2 and have to say I am super impressed with what you have done. Congratulations & well done :)

Do you have any plans on expanding what is available on the TV Portal ? Eg. Full implementation of iPlayer, inclusion of catchup services fromITV, C4 and C5 ?

Thanks again for your work up to now !

Firstly wow, and congrats for getting so much done.

Where are syslogs from the humax binary stored, if there are any? It crashed and restarted a couple of times when navigating a CIFS mount in the copy function of the interface. It worked fine a few minutes earlier so not sure what is causing it, and ls via telnet works fine to navigate the mount.

Do you have any plans on expanding what is available on the TV Portal ? Eg. Full implementation of iPlayer, inclusion of catchup services fromITV, C4 and C5 ?

This is going to b very dificult to do - although theroeticly I could see how it 'could' be done, as the portal is loaded up of an external set of servers run by humax - there was a thread on this some time back when we were looking at it.

What would have to be done is to get the portal 'downloaded' onto another server that we ran, and direct the box to that. Then somehow work out how to write an 'app' for it to run ITV player, 4OD etc etc.

Difficult in the extreem.

This is going to b very dificult to do - although theroeticly I could see how it 'could' be done, as the portal is loaded up of an external set of servers run by humax - there was a thread on this some time back when we were looking at it.

What would have to be done is to get the portal 'downloaded' onto another server that we ran, and direct the box to that. Then somehow work out how to write an 'app' for it to run ITV player, 4OD etc etc.

That's a shame ! Thanks for your answer any way.

It should be easy to proxy the Humax content if you just want to add stuff. I'd be surprised if the implementation wasn't largely on the server side with a simple mechanism for navigating using the remote. That means it should be easy to structure a webpage in the correct format, no?

Others may know different from having looked at the existing content, though.

I have finally got around to installing the custom f/w today. Absolutely painless. Thanks for this. I have only installed busybox and aut0-unprotect and mediatomb but that too went very smoothly.
Having managed to copy a 'test' recording (HiDef), it streamed without a problem to XMBC on my PC.

Just a couple of questions that I cannot find answers to here if you don't mind.

The mediatomb server (on the Humax) as a PC folder and a virtual folder it confuses me a little as to which one I should be using. Also, am I right in thinking that the only way to delete viewed programmes from the mediatomb server is via FTP, Filezilla for example. If I try to delete directly on the Humax via the remote control the option seems disabled. Perhaps because the file is stored on the 'virtual' disk. Think I have just answered my own question! Doh

Time to go and play.

Thanks for everyone who has spent time making this work. It's appreciated.

The mediatomb server (on the Humax) as a PC folder and a virtual folder it confuses me a little as to which one I should be using.

I've always used virtual - I think PC is a virtual thing that it presents to the network.

Also, am I right in thinking that the only way to delete viewed programmes from the mediatomb server is via FTP, Filezilla for example.

Or via the web interface. It is possible to mount the virtual disk a second time so that it appears as a disk (for copying) but also as a folder under the standard Media tree. It should then be possible to delete programmes using the remote control (and view them on the TV directly if desired). I have been thinking about updating the virtual-disk package to do this for a while, I'll do that later on today.

Thanks. I posted this just before I installed the web interface. Looking forward to the update, though.

Or via the web interface. It is possible to mount the virtual disk a second time so that it appears as a disk (for copying) but also as a folder under the standard Media tree. It should then be possible to delete programmes using the remote control (and view them on the TV directly if desired). I have been thinking about updating the virtual-disk package to do this for a while, I'll do that later on today.
I think this may be confusing for the casual user. Whilst it works well the problem is that the Humax UI doesn't recognise that the mount point is on a different disk. When pressing OPT+ it only gives the option to move files into that directory (not copy). If someone attempts this, the file disappears from the listing but stays in the same place. The user has to be aware to use OPT+ to copy to the first mount point and not the one within the "My Video" tree.

I think that Raydon's suggestion of keeping a USB device permanently plugged in so that the virtual disk always appears is the way to go. That is unless it is possible to write a USB device driver to fake a USB disk.

Could the virtual folder in the media tree be given a different name when mounted in this way? That way users could be trained to copy to 'virtual' to remove encryption but to look in 'processed files' (or similar) for the files to watch / delete?

I would very much like to see this added to the package but can understand how it could create confusion.

I've just uploaded mod 1.09.
The main change in this version is that after installation there is a basic web interface which allows the full web interface to be installed without using telnet. If you're already running 1.08, there isn't a compelling reason to upgrade but it should make the process easier for new users.

I have the mod 1.08 customised f/w installed plus several packages. If I want to update the f/w to 1.09, do I have to remove/re-install any or all of those packages? Will they still work correctly if I update the f/w but not the packages themselves?

Questions, questions. Lol.

Thanks,

I have the mod 1.08 customised f/w installed plus several packages. If I want to update the f/w to 1.09, do I have to remove/re-install any or all of those packages? Will they still work correctly if I update the f/w but not the packages themselves?

You don't have to do anything with the packages. They won't be touched by the firmware upgrade and they will still work afterwards.

I suspect you found the same as I did accessing Foxy. Would be nice if the resources could be hosted somewhere else. Meanwhile, you might try a different browser.

Back